The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #28,936 of 28,989
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #28,938 of 28,989
I bought the HD800's over the Christmas period and so far I'm very pleased with them. The only things I need to fix are the worn pads, headband and head adjustment. I'm looking at replacing the pads once I repaint but I'm curious whether new pads will be thicker than the worn pads. Of course, the official pads will get me back to sounding 'stock', but I feel like slightly thicker pads would make the headphones more comfortable for my ears. If not, I may consider aftermarket pads even if they do alter the sound. (In which case I'm wondering if there are any thicker pads which don't alter the sound too much.)

Tl;dr: how much do worn pads compress on the HD800?

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #28,939 of 28,989
I bought the HD800's over the Christmas period and so far I'm very pleased with them. The only things I need to fix are the worn pads, headband and head adjustment. I'm looking at replacing the pads once I repaint but I'm curious whether new pads will be thicker than the worn pads. Of course, the official pads will get me back to sounding 'stock', but I feel like slightly thicker pads would make the headphones more comfortable for my ears. If not, I may consider aftermarket pads even if they do alter the sound. (In which case I'm wondering if there are any thicker pads which don't alter the sound too much.)

Quite a bit ime. I changed the headband and pads on my (very) old pair of HD800 and was surprised at how much more comfortable they were. The old pads had compressed quite thin, much more so than I realised just because it happens so slowly over a long period.

I’ve had mine for 12 years now and I think they had been out for a couple of years prior to that. It is nice to see people still posting about them.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #28,941 of 28,989
Headphones aren't like general consumer electronics. The HD800 is already top-of-the-line, an update might give you a different sound but not necessarily a better one.
That‘s true, I still need to audition the 800’s but from the reviews I’ve watched and read on what people have said about them I think they fit the otherside I’m looking for to compliment my 109’s.

Also need to wait for the next sale, they had a nice discount in Canada during the holidays.

Simply how the HD660S2 turned out, I'd be more afraid of an update coming out. Hah.

Haha how so? I thought folks said the 660S2 was an improvement over the original.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #28,942 of 28,989

FYI there have been revisions to the HD800 earpads.
From what I seen, the original ones were very thin & made from alacantara wrapped suede. Then with the HD800S, the earpads were made wider slightly. Then another revision that changed the material from alacantara to a more generic foam.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #28,943 of 28,989
FYI there have been revisions to the HD800 earpads.
From what I seen, the original ones were very thin & made from alacantara wrapped suede. Then with the HD800S, the earpads were made wider slightly. Then another revision that changed the material from alacantara to a more generic foam.

I see, I'm almost positive that these are the original pads. The previous owner never changed them and they really are impossibly thin, and a quite 'nappy' material.

I guess no one has attempted to remake those original ones.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #28,944 of 28,989
I see, I'm almost positive that these are the original pads. The previous owner never changed them and they really are impossibly thin, and a quite 'nappy' material.

I guess no one has attempted to remake those original ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001376161726.html?

Screenshot_20240113-094039_Samsung Internet.jpg

Check my posted link, they also offer an original copy.

Still the thicker leather ones improve on the bass and fullness

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #28,945 of 28,989
Check the opening size. I've done a few of those leather pads and the opening was appreciably smaller.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #28,946 of 28,989
I've owned Ananda, they are, comparatively to ADX5000, unremarkable, they sound a tad too polite and got nothing much going for it that's especially outstanding. True that I didn't have the AT at the same time as the Ananda. But I do have my T1 at the same time and I prefer it over the Ananda back then.
The experience is why I didn't pick Arya when I was lookin around for an uograde, and ended up with the adx.

I am interested with playing around with T1 pads, mine is old and are quite deflated, any recommendations?
I auditioned the Arya as an upgrade to the Ananda & T1, but, just the same, I didn't bite. Likewise, I agree on ATH; I've purchased many after the Ananda. Also, the Ananda was another pad-swap candidate. When replaced with velours, the resolution issues 'resolved' and bandwidth flattened (the Arya appeared as a V-shaped Ananda). Honestly, when I look at the originals I get nauseous.
The only other pads that'll affect the gag reflex are the original HD 800 pads. I'd like to know the source of the alcantara-over-suede hypothesis, however, I cut apart the OE pads and they were green foam with large pores, polyester, and missing the coating of that velour/alcantara-like space-age texture. Basically, junk, and yes, all the OE HD 800 pads are thin from the moment you get them. Plus, you have to smash down the foam up to 100x to install them. They do not provide support, as much as they are for suspension and acoustic transparency.
Anyway, if your T1 pads are squashed, it's like having flat tires. For example, DT 990 pads will revive it, and those are easily sourced. If you want to push them toward the HD 800 presentation, then DT 1990 Analytical Pads. Further, if you want a superb T1 presentation and better comfort, then install DT 1990 Balanced Pads. Your mileage may vary. As elucidated above, most choices outside of velour will get you a funhouse mirror.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #28,949 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back