The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #28,921 of 28,989
The Ananda is another hp I'd insist is in the same class. The review consensus is that the HD800 has the largest stage, but the Ananda is right there and more extensively images behind my head; it is the go-to for live concert realism in stage and tone for me.
However, if the dude dropped the HD800 in the toilet right in front of me, I'd still buy it for $450. The weak spot on them is the notches for adjustment, pad degradation, finish. I would surmise humidity could affect any rubber in the driver, but I don't believe it has surrounds with material.
So, I'd agree that you've already been to the mountain top. If you need some new blood outside of the LSX+sub, I'll humbly suggest experimenting with T1 pad substitution 🤷‍♂️
I've owned Ananda, they are, comparatively to ADX5000, unremarkable, they sound a tad too polite and got nothing much going for it that's especially outstanding. True that I didn't have the AT at the same time as the Ananda. But I do have my T1 at the same time and I prefer it over the Ananda back then.
The experience is why I didn't pick Arya when I was lookin around for an uograde, and ended up with the adx.

I am interested with playing around with T1 pads, mine is old and are quite deflated, any recommendations?

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #28,922 of 28,989
I've owned Ananda, they are, comparatively to ADX5000, unremarkable, they sound a tad too polite and got nothing much going for it that's especially outstanding. True that I didn't have the AT at the same time as the Ananda. But I do have my T1 at the same time and I prefer it over the Ananda back then.
The experience is why I didn't pick Arya when I was lookin around for an uograde, and ended up with the adx.

I am interested with playing around with T1 pads, mine is old and are quite deflated, any recommendations?
I believe Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin and Velour pads really helped with the 'beyer spike' on the DT1990, so I believe they'll work well with the T1.

When I had a T1, I inadvertently ordered Choice Suede pads instead of Velour. If you want to turn the T1 into an absolute fart cannon, get those!!

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #28,923 of 28,989
hmm you mean it increase the bass with that? if so id be interested

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #28,924 of 28,989
hmm you mean it increase the bass with that? if so id be interested
Heh.

DT1990-ChSd-1024x555[1].png

Keep in mind that these graphs are arbitrarily configured so the measurements intersect at 300Hz. Usually, 1000Hz. If you line up that lovely beyer spike (i.e., shift the green line up 8db, or 4 lines), you'll see it's a legit 15db bass boost.

All of them are here: https://dekoniaudio.com/filter/?product_cat=t1

EDIT: Check these out! Linked at 1000Hz
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...-ear-pads-for-fostex-beyerdynamic-headphones/
t50LE-1536x969.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #28,925 of 28,989
Is there anyone painting HD800s these days as a service? Getting a scuffed up JAR800 soon and would like to get it painted, but by someone with good references and experience and photos of previous work. Since it was a challenge for me to acquire the JAR I want to be cautious with whom I send these to.

If anyone is interested or has a lead please PM me

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #28,926 of 28,989
got a norse audio draug 3 cable...I know cable is controversial topic but really it does tame that mid...I since have remove SDR mod and powering it with Hugo 2 on green-red...

SDR mod is nice but it really does make bass sound more like a padded bass rather than pin point bass hit...

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #28,927 of 28,989
I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on a high end offering from Sennheiser so I can’t deny that I wasn’t a little disappointed there weren’t any new offerings at CES or an update to the HD800 at least.

I recently purchased the Meze 109 Pro’s but I’m craving a more neutral sound signature as I listen to a lot of jazz these days and I find the Meze’s perhaps to be a bit too coloured.

Say in a scenario where the prices were the same, would you opt for an Empyrean II or Sennheiser 800s? I’m debating between the two for my end game headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #28,928 of 28,989
given the price of the Empyrean II the Jupiter Audio Research HD 800 anytime (pricing is nearby due to very expensive prints in low numbers).

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #28,929 of 28,989
I prefer the spaciousness of the HD800 presentation.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #28,931 of 28,989
The original HD 800 is still world class. I doubt you will be disappointed by any version.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #28,932 of 28,989
I just can’t help but feel as soon as I pull the trigger on the 800’s, an update will come out lol…..
HD800 never loses much value even if a successor comes up. Its still one of the most realistic speaker like phones .. if driven to their best potential on the right source gear.
Parts (even genuine original) are cheap and plenty to choose from as are aftermarket cables.

Its my endgame cans for a decade now.

I begun looking for a replacement flagship a few months ago.. i listened to Yamaha YH5000 (€5k) and it sounded weirdly sharp in the upper mids.. has a kind of a cuppy resonance to them

Meze elites (€4k) coulndt touch its stage and were too dark/intimide for me.

DC stealth and expanse (€4.5k) were too analytical and precise with a narrow staging.. not fluent and sparkly to my ears.

Susvaras (€5.5k) were lovely organic but so hard to drive and still didnt surpass the dynamics the 800's can provide

Then Final D8000(pro) (€4k).. this finally had more clarity, a close to 800's stage an ultra deep going controlled bass and breathed air.. i was going to get a pair.

But then i tried something on my 800's..
I experimented to take the glued filtersheets off the driver frames.. the full size fabric filter cups with the Senns logo i already took out just after i got them.. and ohmy.. the clarity became so much more open like real life .. in comparison it seems before it had a wooly veil over it that made some people call them having an artificial stage.

Its low end already improved to a good degree by swapping the velour pads for thicker leather ones increasing the volume in the cups and a better seal giving them some warmth.

Im no longer searching for the next cans as im totally satisfied with my setup. Instead i just ordered a new silver cable.

On my (modified) Chord MDave they never sound spikey, extract every last detail from my music and give impressive explosive dynamics that can rumble on my head without having to crank up the volume.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #28,934 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back