The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #28,861 of 28,989
I still have my Beyerdynamic T1 first gen....first love is always hard to let go...

So did I but I did sell off the T1 because it's a used unit that I bought way back in 2016. Between the 2, I prefer HD800 though T1 was my love for a while.

Even though my main headphone now is Susvara, I still love HD800. It's the tone with a good tube amp.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #28,862 of 28,989
So did I but I did sell off the T1 because it's a used unit that I bought way back in 2016. Between the 2, I prefer HD800 though T1 was my love for a while.

Even though my main headphone now is Susvara, I still love HD800. It's the tone with a good tube amp.

I had susvara too, would've kept it but I was afraid of the maintenance when the driver failed, so I thought I beat the Head-fi head god...That thing was a joy to drive on my Vio 281 on balance output, nothings can beat it.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #28,863 of 28,989
I had susvara too, would've kept it but I was afraid of the maintenance when the driver failed, so I thought I beat the Head-fi head god...That thing was a joy to drive on my Vio 281 on balance output, nothings can beat it.

I've listen to Susvara extensively on my son's V281 but nothing beats it like driving Susvara from my tube amps. V281 may sound a bit like tube amps but tube amps sound just like tube amps. :)

Sorry I am going to stop talking about amps for Susvara because that is a deadbeat topic.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #28,865 of 28,989
The original HD800 is still my goto.

I can see it now- "HD 800 considered harmful."

A six pack of coke and a package of twinkies to whoever gets the allusion :D

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #28,867 of 28,989
not gonna lie the SDR mod really does wonder to the HD800!

that shouti sensation is gone, bass is punchier and less boomy! really as advertise.

I didn't want to mod mine so first I used RME's EQ to kill the treble plateau. That worked pretty well but I don't use my RME much. Later I got a Phonitor 2 for other reasons but it turns out it does a great job with high impedance dynamics and is warm enough that I can listen to my HD 800s (not S) with any kind of music and they sound great.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #28,868 of 28,989
Mine are not modded. They sound great with the ALO Audio Studio 6 SET tube amp running through m y Moon 430HAD's Dac.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #28,869 of 28,989
Mine is not modded and they sound great. I have the SDR mod here unused for a few years. Over the years I've use the HD800 with a variety of splendid tube amps. Feliks Audio Elise & Euforia, La Figaro 339, Glenn OTL, Studio Six, Wa22, Elekit TU-8200, Odyssey, Oblivion, Destiny, Ultimate, Sansui vintage amps and back to where it all began - Darkvoice 336se.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #28,871 of 28,989
Hey y'all I'm looking into a HD800 deal, the one thing I'm wondering is Amping it.
My only amp right now is Sony's TA-ZH1ES, I love it for its output plugs versatility. Now I'm wondering, have anyone who have both feel the Sony is good enough?
As is in my sig, I also own ADX5000 and T1, both high impedance cans with similarly bright sound sig,) (I guess I'm just a sucker for this)
And have been wondering whether I should get a Tube amp just for that extra driving power and sound matching, was looking into Xduoo TA26s, maybe a WA2 or something at max.
But haven't get to it as I feel my Sony is good enough for daily use with them.

So, TLDR: 1.Tazzy->HD800 is it good?
2.Anyone that also have ADX5000 or T1 can chime in with how either of the two compare to HD800?
I've hear an HD800S once but it was on a meet and it's been like 5 years since then and was quite under amped, tho I remember liking it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #28,872 of 28,989
Hey y'all I'm looking into a HD800 deal, the one thing I'm wondering is Amping it.
My only amp right now is Sony's TA-ZH1ES, I love it for its output plugs versatility. Now I'm wondering, have anyone who have both feel the Sony is good enough?
As is in my sig, I also own ADX5000 and T1, both high impedance cans with similarly bright sound sig,) (I guess I'm just a sucker for this)
And have been wondering whether I should get a Tube amp just for that extra driving power and sound matching, was looking into Xduoo TA26s, maybe a WA2 or something at max.

2.Anyone that also have ADX5000 or T1 can chime in with how either of the two compare to HD800?
I've hear an HD800S once but it was on a meet and it's been like 5 years since then and was quite under amped, tho I remember liking it.
Since the WA2 is in your price range I would add the Cayin HA-3A and the Felix Audio Elise to your short list.

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #28,873 of 28,989
@Sp12er3 first I would listen to the Sony + HD800 and eventually add some bass boost with PEQ, from there I would explore how to expand the experience. More power, tube amplification, more synergistic amps and dacs etc...

A tube amp can be both great or outright under performing depending on the tubes rolled. WA2 was a safe choice for the HD800 regardless of tubes, as long as the tubes are not overly worn out...

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #28,874 of 28,989

I had a first gen T1 for about a year before moving onto the hd800 with SDR mod which was super easy to do. Definitely a nice step up particularly in resolve and soundstage. For a long time I used a Bottle head Mainline (tube amp) which was a fantastic pairing. However if you want to a really affordable SS amp that works well with the hd800 look at the Pass Whammy with some Burson V6 classic or vivid discreet opamps fitted it gets really close to the Mainlines sound signature for just a couple of hundred dollars. I ran the side by side and it took a week for two before I was able to get a handle on the subtle details where the mainline pulled ahead.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #28,875 of 28,989
maybe a WA2
If you're looking for Woo amps I'd recommend the wa6se over the wa2 for the hd800. I've been hearing great things about the new Mjolnir from Schiit and how well it drives ZMFs dynamics so it might be worth getting a listen. I may get one next month if I manage to offload some stuff in time for the next run and will report my findings if I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back