The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #28,846 of 29,010
No I've not tried the suede pads.

I was ready to sell my HD800s because of the fit. After about an hour the only thing I would feel is pressure from the head band, and it would give me a headache.

After I got the ZMF suede pads and crescent strap, they get a lot more listening time on my HA-300B MKII.

I got the suede because Zach's measurements show only a slight change in the frequency response, and that is true. If you asked me to A/B the stock pads and Zach's pads I could not tell the difference.

The same for Zach's suede pads for the 600 series cans. The only 3rd party pads I have tried on my 650s' where I can't tell the difference from the stock pads.

The man is the Sennheiser pad whisperer.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #28,847 of 29,010
Zach is quite a talent. He really cares about what he builds.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #28,849 of 29,010
I was ready to sell my HD800s because of the fit. After about an hour the only thing I would feel is pressure from the head band, and it would give me a headache.

After I got the ZMF suede pads and crescent strap, they get a lot more listening time on my HA-300B MKII.

I got the suede because Zach's measurements show only a slight change in the frequency response, and that is true. If you asked me to A/B the stock pads and Zach's pads I could not tell the difference.

The same for Zach's suede pads for the 600 series cans. The only 3rd party pads I have tried on my 650s' where I can't tell the difference from the stock pads.

The man is the Sennheiser pad whisperer.
How much are the ZMF oval pad replacements for the Senn HD 800S and do they fit as well as the OEM ones? I am interested in the perforated lamb skin. Also is there a head band cushion that also snaps on for more comfort? Ty

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #28,850 of 29,010
How much are the ZMF oval pad replacements for the Senn HD 800S and do they fit as well as the OEM ones? I am interested in the perforated lamb skin. Also is there a head band cushion that also snaps on for more comfort? Ty
Just go to zmfheadphones.com click on the shop and click on pads.

From there you can buy the pads of your choice and the crescent strap. For the Crescent strap and the pads will cost you around $140

Pads on the 800s are easy to install.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #28,852 of 29,010
Do I need the metal insert for the crescent strap?
You want the Crescent SNAP.

The Crescent strap is a replacement headband for an actual ZMF headphone.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #28,853 of 29,010
I'm reporting in on a chain that's really singing for me: 1st revision HD 800 w/ Cardas Clear at the end of a Debut III with an OM5e amplfied by the Mani and a Class A, discrete zero feedback solid state. I have not tested without the leash, but I'd bet it doesn't matter much, nor do the interconnects. I'm no expert on top vinyl setups, but I cannot imagine much more being squeezed out of the PVC. For someone on a budget, this is straight sauce. On the other hand, the HD 800 after the digital source sounds harsh and lacking thru the same amp...Tricky headphones.
I'd agree on the ZMF pads because the OE pads are being made faulty and will take 45-60 of sweating bullets to manipulate onto the retainers, plus are overpriced 4x over considering that suffering.

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #28,854 of 29,010
I actually found them easier to put on than the stock pads.

The ZMF pads are on the ZMF site. Zach said in his measurement video that they couldn't get a good sound from perforated lamb skin so there is only solid lambskin and suede.

I didn't need a replacement headband once I added the pads as their thickness balanced out the way the headphone sat on my head – the stock pads left the whole weight of the headphone on the thinly padded headband.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #28,860 of 29,010
When I bought HD800 in 2017 I should have just stop there because I'm still loving and using it today. A lot of other headphones have come and gone but this headphone stayed.

Hint to Sennheiser. Dropping the original HD800 is a very bad idea. :)
I still have my Beyerdynamic T1 first gen....first love is always hard to let go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back