The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #28,696 of 28,989
Are they any easier to install than the stock? It's always a nightmare and I feel like I need 3 hands to get the stock pads on the cans.

May 1, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #28,697 of 28,989
Are they any easier to install than the stock? It's always a nightmare and I feel like I need 3 hands to get the stock pads on the cans.
Yes they have better click to attach system with a harder plastic.
Please keep in mind that they are thicker so there is a chance that you don't like the feeling on first use but in the end I think that they are way more comfortable than stock.

May 1, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #28,698 of 28,989
So my stock pads are falling off - what replacements should I go with? I listen to classical and opera.
I agree with @Ichos If you don't mind the velour then the elite hybrid are an option. I personally don't like velour so I went with the elite sheepskin.
BTW: They are much easier to install than the stock pads. The stock pads can be fiddly to install when new.

May 1, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #28,699 of 28,989
I'm on the fence between hybrid and velour. Which does popular opinion favor, and would classical music have any reason to favor the less popular opinion?

May 2, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #28,701 of 28,989
I have sheepskin pads, great fit and they make the clamp better. No real change in the tonality or soundstage, maybe just a little more bass emphasis.

May 2, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #28,703 of 28,989
I don't think a "tight" fit of the HD800 on my head is an important point. With the over-ear design, they just float above the ear and direct the sound waves into the ear canal. I do find that when I push the cups tight against the back of my ear, it's more comfortable and may present "better" sound. YMMV like on everything in this hobby :)

May 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #28,704 of 28,989
Well, I got the hybrids. B-stock, so I'm stuck with them. Should I cut out their liners and use Sennheiser's, or ditch the stock dust filters and keep Dekoni's?

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #28,705 of 28,989
Well, I got the hybrids. B-stock, so I'm stuck with them. Should I cut out their liners and use Sennheiser's, or ditch the stock dust filters and keep Dekoni's?
I bit the bullet and cut out Dekoni's dust cover. Not like the video. Instead I used small scissors, which you'd use to cut nails. Comfort improved. They also sit tighter. Using Sennheiser stock dust cover. I like the result.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #28,706 of 28,989
Stock Sennheiser pads are trash. I was forced to buy Dekoni pads. They killed the bass and made the treble harsh. Luckily my sound card/amp allows me to tweak both. A boost in bass and reduction in treble puts the headphones close to stock with improved sound stage and comfort.

Jun 14, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #28,707 of 28,989
Stock Sennheiser pads are trash. I was forced to buy Dekoni pads. They killed the bass and made the treble harsh. Luckily my sound card/amp allows me to tweak both. A boost in bass and reduction in treble puts the headphones close to stock with improved sound stage and comfort.
Which Dekonis did you buy? Also you will get some more subbass, if you use a silicon ring with them. Dekonis don't come with it so you could buy cheap China pads that come with silicon. Just beneath under the Sennheiser stock pads to understand what I mean.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #28,709 of 28,989
I stayed with the HD800 as well. For me it is the best.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #28,710 of 28,989
I picked up my HD800s late 2016 brand new in box for just a bit less than 1K. What a deal!

5+ years later and I’m still in the honeymoon period! The pads are in good shape and the cans have never left my desk. If a hurricane was going to hit, these senns would be my first grab!

I have about 10 different sources to choose from all hooked up to my glorious Violectric balanced amp. Its all good! No EQ.

Highly recommend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back