The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #26,626 of 28,989
Unboxing 05.jpg

My new HD800 cable.

Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 19 Fusion.

Enhances every one of HD800's inherent virtues. Clearer. Cleaner. Better contrast, due to a blacker background. Bass is ever so slightly boosted, thanks to the crazy-thick 18.8AWG wire.

It's spectacular.

May 6, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #26,627 of 28,989
Just got a pair of HD800! Moving up from the HD598, it's clearly a superior headphone.

Right now, I'm playing Tidal through a Chord Mojo. I really like the sound, but I keep thinking there must be more I can do to optimize the sound. It sounds "in my head" more than I expected, after reading all the reviews saying that the HD800 have the most amazingly wide soundstage. Nor do I get the sense that the sound is coming from in front of me. Now I'm reading reviews of the Mojo that say it's fairly "intimate."

So, if I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks, what alternatives should I consider? And what should I prioritize?

I saw an awesome deal on the HDVA 600 amp for just $439, but I just missed out. I assume I should get that if the deal ever comes back? Maybe combine with balanced cable?

Or should I look into something from Schitt?

In addition to wider soundstage, I'd like a little more "oomph" from the bass. But the latter I could probably handle through EQ, right?

Thanks in advance for any help!

May 6, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #26,628 of 28,989
Just got a pair of HD800! Moving up from the HD598, it's clearly a superior headphone.

Right now, I'm playing Tidal through a Chord Mojo. I really like the sound, but I keep thinking there must be more I can do to optimize the sound. It sounds "in my head" more than I expected, after reading all the reviews saying that the HD800 have the most amazingly wide soundstage. Nor do I get the sense that the sound is coming from in front of me. Now I'm reading reviews of the Mojo that say it's fairly "intimate."

The HD800 has one of the most open sounding stages of any headphone and it is because of Sennheiser’s incredible engineering and tuning the headphone to a diffuse-field.

However, a lot of music is engineered for stereo playback on speakers within a room space. In this case the listener will hear natural cross feed from each speaker, ie your right ear will still hear music from the left channel and vice versa. As a result an engineer can mix the music to make instruments panned dead centre or in different postions.

Listening to the same music on headphones it can’t replicate this properly as each ear is isolated. It can make sound “hard panned” instead of more forward.

on the other hand headphone listening can be very immersive if the tracks are binaural. Try an app called Naturespace or search for some binaural field recordings and ASMR on YouTube (not binaural beats that is something else altogether and is pseudoscience).

Headphone listening can take a bit to adjust to.

May 7, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #26,629 of 28,989

So, if I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks, what alternatives should I consider? And what should I prioritize?

I saw an awesome deal on the HDVA 600 amp for just $439, but I just missed out. I assume I should get that if the deal ever comes back? Maybe combine with balanced cable?

Or should I look into something from Schitt?

In addition to wider soundstage, I'd like a little more "oomph" from the bass. But the latter I could probably handle through EQ, right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
HDVA 600 is just an amp. You will need a dac. I've been using the HDVA 600 with DacMagic Plus playing high resolution Tidal out of my laptop for a few weeks now. I love it--clear, accurate, detailed, all-around highly excellent and worth the investment (just above 1900 total for HP+amp+dac). The hdva600 does the job in giving hd800s power, and I've found that the dac opens up soundstage. But try the 600s out in person with a dac before you decide. Then you can see if there is enough of a difference vs the chord mojo to justify the cost. Since you will need a dac, it makes sense to go somewhere that has the 600s and a dac, so you don't get into the mess of having bought the dac and 600s, decided against the change, then having to return both separately.

May 7, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #26,630 of 28,989
HDVA 600 is just an amp. You will need a dac. I've been using the HDVA 600 with DacMagic Plus playing high resolution Tidal out of my laptop for a few weeks now. I love it--clear, accurate, detailed, all-around highly excellent and worth the investment (just above 1900 total for HP+amp+dac). The hdva600 does the job in giving hd800s power, and I've found that the dac opens up soundstage. But try the 600s out in person with a dac before you decide. Then you can see if there is enough of a difference vs the chord mojo to justify the cost. Since you will need a dac, it makes sense to go somewhere that has the 600s and a dac, so you don't get into the mess of having bought the dac and 600s, decided against the change, then having to return both separately.
How did you get everything for $1900? Since I missed the $439 deal on the HDVA 600, I'm not seeing prices anywhere near that level.

I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near me to try this stuff out. So it's trial and error, buying stuff online.

May 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #26,631 of 28,989
How did you get everything for $1900? Since I missed the $439 deal on the HDVA 600, I'm not seeing prices anywhere near that level.

I'm afraid I don't have anywhere near me to try this stuff out. So it's trial and error, buying stuff online.
I got my HDVA 600 used for 600€. They are highly underrated in the market so you might jus be patient and grab the next for sale here on HeadFi.

May 7, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #26,633 of 28,989

The HD800s were $850 from Reverb in excellent condition. HDVA600 $800 from eBay also turned out excellent condition, and I had a good return policy just in case. DacMagic Plus I found for $280 on Reverb, very good condition. 1930 total. I was fortunate that I got everything in such great condition as I did take some risks in going used. But it paid off as everything works perfectly and looks very well taken care of. Bottom line: if you find the HDVA600 for 500-700 you probably couldn't do better for powering the HD800s at that price.

May 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #26,635 of 28,989
All a matter of personal preference.

My tastes favor the Audeze house sound. I listened to my LCD-2 more than my HD800. And now that I have spent a few days with the LCD-3, I can tell that will dominate my head-time just as thoroughly.

But I do very much like the HD800. It gives me things the LCD-3 cannot, like detail, clarity, and soundstage. And sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for.

But more often, I crave the smoothness, warmth, and richness of Audeze. :L3000:

May 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #26,636 of 28,989

My tastes favor the Audeze house sound. I listened to my LCD-2 more than my HD800. And now that I have spent a few days with the LCD-3, I can tell that will dominate my head-time just as thoroughly.

But I do very much like the HD800. It gives me things the LCD-3 cannot, like detail, clarity, and soundstage. And sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for.

Try EQ-ing the HD800. Especially the sub-bass region (20Hz)

May 8, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #26,637 of 28,989
Try EQ-ing the HD800. Especially the sub-bass region (20Hz)

Lower bass has nothing to do with warmth or smoothness, but rather rumble and impact. Upper bass to lower mids, and treble have the greatest effect on those things.

May 8, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #26,638 of 28,989
Lower bass has nothing to do with warmth or smoothness, but rather rumble and impact. Upper bass to lower mids, and treble have the greatest effect on those things.
Apologize. Yes, it doesn't. I use the schiit loki for that 20hz. It affects quite a wide band on the bass area. It is the easiest way to warm up the hd800.

Using a good tube amp further helps thicken the hd800.

May 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #26,639 of 28,989
Apologize. Yes, it doesn't. I use the schiit loki for that 20hz. It affects quite a wide band on the bass area. It is the easiest way to warm up the hd800.

Using a good tube amp further helps thicken the hd800.

The HD800 does respond very well the EQ, I agree. :)

May 8, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #26,640 of 28,989

Thank for your quick response. You are brave enough to recommended LCDs at the 800 thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back