The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #24,586 of 28,989
I've been using the Omega stand for years until... I borrowed my friends HD800S and the very first thing I noticed was how flat my ear pads were.  Just got used to them but I do attribute it to the Omega stand. I immediately ordered a new set of pads and switched to the Codia T1 stand.

Quote:
  I fear that as well, the earpads are thin so I wouldn't want those to flatten out either, that's why I don't have a headphone stand. I just lay them on my desk or the box it came from

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #24,587 of 28,989
Neutral, natural, detailed sound+ a big soundstage and great instrument separation = great sound.
That's why im always disappointed in other phones i try, none offer the complete package of the HD800.
I haven't tried the Utopia but i dont care anyway there is no way I'm spending 4k on headphones.
I really can't understand how anything can sound better than this.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #24,588 of 28,989
I bought a wooden omega headphone stand and I was wondering if they damage the headphones at all since the headphone's are being stretched out a little while they are on

I used a Woo Audio stand for a while, and found my HD650 headband cushions had permanently compressed resting on its broad arced metal arm.

I switched to Master and Dynamic stands for my HD650 and HD800. The headband rests on the steel cylinder at the crown notch; the pads straddle it without contact. No more flat cushions.

Many folks complain the stands look flimsy. They most certainly are not; they're very robust and stable, and the perfect height for Sennheiser cans.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #24,589 of 28,989

I used a Woo Audio stand for a while, and found my HD650 headband cushions had permanently compressed resting on its broad arced metal arm.

I switched to Master and Dynamic stands for my HD650 and HD800. The headband rests on the steel cylinder at the crown notch; the pads straddle it without contact. No more flat cushions.

Many folks complain the stands look flimsy. They most certainly are not; they're very robust and stable, and the perfect height for Sennheiser cans.

Yeah, designs like the master and dynamic stand are pretty terrible for most headphones, as they create a permanent notch in the middle.  Oddly they're particularly awful for Master and Dynamic's own headphones.  However, Sennheiser's high end headphones already have a notch in the middle, so those types of designs tend to work well there.

I like this stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A09KCJ4

The head rest is silicone, and it's almost too small for the HD800, but it ends out working perfectly, because it means that it more cradles the headband than resting completely flat.  And since it's flexible silicone it keeps too much weight from laying on a pressure point.  It covers pretty much the entire pad area of the HD800 headband padding.  The cable management solution is also easy and elegant.  To me it makes way more sense than vertical cable wraps.  It also allows you to put adapters in the middle of it and they won't roll off your desk.  It's also cheap but sturdy.  And I think very good looking in a simple sort of way.  Color scheme works well with HD800, but maybe even better with HD800S.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #24,590 of 28,989
@fjrabon
 , aside from the EL8/TH-X00 we seem to like the same sort of headphone stands, this is what I currently use, a modified one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LUXA2-HO-HDP-ALE1SI-00-Headphone-Sennheiser-Plantronics/dp/B00MCVOILM/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1482505698&sr=8-20&keywords=headphone+stand

Added the memory foam wrapped in leather to the top of the stand.
I've also used an old tripod like this:

a 1/8 section of 8in PVC pipe covered with a thin foam padding and leather.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #24,591 of 28,989
I've made a few headphone stands now for my different cans the HD800 are perfect for the hanging type as they have the little break in the padding at the middle of the headband.

These are my favorites

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #24,592 of 28,989
  I've made a few headphone stands now for my different cans the HD800 are perfect for the hanging type as they have the little break in the padding at the middle of the headband.

These are my favorites

Very nice...

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #24,593 of 28,989

I literally made my own headphone stand out of a small lamp I wasn't using.  It has a flexible arm that I could curl for the headphones to rest on, and I cut the cord, and unscrewed the lamp shade.  Saved myself a few bucks,

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #24,594 of 28,989
Neutral, natural, detailed sound+ a big soundstage and great instrument separation = great sound.
That's why im always disappointed in other phones i try, none offer the complete package of the HD800.
I haven't tried the Utopia but i dont care anyway there is no way I'm spending 4k on headphones.
I really can't understand how anything can sound better than this.

The stock HD800 are not natural (flat), by any stretch of the imagination. You may be used to the sound, but that's as far as it goes.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #24,595 of 28,989
according to sennheiser, the hd800 was diffuse field loudness equalized to match how human ears perceive frequencies. They are leaps more neutral than the hd600 to me, you can say what you want about the 6khz peak, but they are pretty neutral otherwise

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #24,596 of 28,989
  according to sennheiser, the hd800 was diffuse field loudness equalized to match how human ears perceive frequencies. They are leaps more neutral than the hd600 to me, you can say what you want about the 6khz peak, but they are pretty neutral otherwise

I agree with that. But the 6 kHz hump was definitely irritating to my ears from the start. Otherwise I would also classify it as one of the most neutral headphones. Nevertheless, SonarWorks' equalizer curve still shows some remarkable deviations from a neutral tonal balance.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #24,598 of 28,989
I mean if you do a sine wave sweep, they're pretty clearly not neutral. Maybe they're neutral to somebody with gobs of high frequency hearing loss?

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #24,599 of 28,989
I mean if you do a sine wave sweep, they're pretty clearly not neutral. Maybe they're neutral to somebody with gobs of high frequency hearing loss?

As far as I understand headphone tuning, you won't get a linear frequency response on the ear drums neither with free-field nor with diffuse-field equalization. The goal is rather to emulate the tonal characteristic of a pair of speakers or an orchestra playing in front of you, thus with a much flatter angle than the almost 90° impact from headphone drivers. So the impression from a sine sweep may not exactly be a reliable reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back