The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #23,776 of 28,989
I, and many others, absolutely loathe the HD700. It might perform well from 50-2000Hz but it has some of the most unpleasant treble I've ever heard. Any 'sss' becomes 'SSSSHHHHH' and any 'cck' becomes 'CCCCHHHHHHHH'. Anyone who thinks the HD800 is piercing but the HD700 isn't is crazy.

But I'm sure an $800 cable would save the day.

I have heard of the piercing highs. Definitely not what I want.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #23,777 of 28,989
  I haven't heard HD700, but condemnation from the community is pretty universal. 

I would rather step down to the 500 series than use the 700.

Most people generally only reference the 600/650/800 when talking about high end sennheisers for a reason.

Oh, I love my HD800 SD. I'm referring to the HD700, which makes me angry thinking about. I honestly believe that anybody who likes the HD700 is just being difficult and stubborn, and there are plenty of those folks in this hobby.

​I get it that many don't like the HD-700 but it also has to do with an individuals hearing, gear used, and also music choices.  Many would not like the HD-800 on a bright SS amp and consider them thin, lacking bass and with a nasty spike, I've had a few guest over that like the HD-700 much better than the HD-800 due to the fuller sound with genres that need to have that full sound but if I were to let them listen to well recorded classical then they like the HD-800 or T1 better, even had a one person that thought the SR-009 was crap, but then the music that the person liked was pop, kpop and classic rock, it really depends on ones experiences, hearing and preferences when it come to music.

Another thing I noticed is many go to great pains to find an amp that pairs well with the HD-800 but you don't see this with the HD-700, many just use what they have then blame the headphone.  I own both the HD-700 and 800 and also the HD-650, I've sold the HD-600 because to me they were the ones with a irritating peak which is different from the HD-700 and HD-800.  Give the HD-700 a decent tube amp and it will reward you with a sound signature that I think is better than the HD-800 for some genres of music.

I also have a quite a few Grado's like RS2e, SR-225e, SR-225i woody, SR-60i woody, SennGrado, ypsilon and nhoord driver builds.  The ypsilon makes the HD-800 a rather poor sounding headphone to those that come from the common Beats & Bose crowd.  They are also a better HD-650/600, Ether/Ether C, and LCD-2/3 to a few others that have heard them and they are easy to drive, output from computer headphone jack will drive them without issues.  Try an HD-800 out of a smart phone and compare it to the ypsilon and most will think the HD-800 sucks (as my GF put it) out of her iPhone.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, back to the HD-800
beerchug.gif

Another thing is once someone like Tyll or other well known reviewer a headphone tends to get a bad rep and many just paraphrase what they read without trying, not saying none of you never had a listen.  And in a way I'd like to thank all those who say the HD-700 is not a good sounding headphone, it has driven the price down so much, IMO its a great bargain these days.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #23,778 of 28,989

Honestly, I would keep the HD 800 and equalize it. This will make it a genre master, and you'll be surprised about the bass it's capable of. The icing on the cake would be a damping modification.

Hear, Hear about the bass extension and power delivery capability that 800's are capable.

JJ

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #23,779 of 28,989

I own the HD598, HD600, HD700 and HD800.  They are all audiophile high end Sennheisers.  

I personally find the HD700 to be a highly underrated set of headphones.  Particularly at the price they are currently available.

IMHO of course...

I totally agree about the 700's being WAY underrated.

There is huge potential in them.

JJ

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #23,781 of 28,989
Apparently I ended up in a kinda different path.
Just received them 2 hours ago, only started listening 15 mins ago.
Gotta get used to it first.

What is that amp?

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #23,783 of 28,989
Oct 5, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #23,784 of 28,989
  Apparently I ended up in a kinda different path.
Just received them 2 hours ago, only started listening 15 mins ago.
Gotta get used to it first.

Congrats, I heard good things about that amp ... from people I trust :) 

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #23,786 of 28,989
Ah, I've read many good things about this amp. Enjoy!

Congrats, I heard good things about that amp ... from people I trust :) 

Thanks! So far this amp is making me not wanting to leave my room but whether if it's new toy syndrome, real improvement or both, I don't know 
biggrin.gif

Congrats & welcome to the club!

beerchug.gif

Is that wooden headphone stand DIY'd or is it the one from Stax?

Stax stand copy maybe. Bought it during my visit to Headfonia store in Asia. 
It just gets the work done, but not heavy enough.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #23,787 of 28,989
Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson.
Hybrid amp.

I had one on demo for a couple months. It was so good that I bought the Liquid Gold from the final run, lol! I just had to have one of the full sized Cavalli amps after hearing the Crimson. Ever since I ordered the LAu I've been toying with the idea of getting the HD800. Perhaps soon..

Congrats on a fine amp! :)

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #23,788 of 28,989
I had one on demo for a couple months. It was so good that I bought the Liquid Gold from the final run, lol! I just had to have one of the full sized Cavalli amps after hearing the Crimson. Ever since I ordered the LAu I've been toying with the idea of getting the HD800. Perhaps soon..

Congrats on a fine amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

If only I could find at least the Glass... Though after 2nd thought, tube rolling that many variations would drain my money faster 
biggrin.gif

Yup, now I'm convinced this is a fine amp. I couldn't sleep last night because I wanted to keep listening to my music.
Setup was Cayin i5 -> Liquid Crimson with Phillips Miniwatt E88CC SQ -> HD800SD

Ah yes, listening to it again reminds me why I couldn't let go of my HD800.
I already like the general sound signature of the HD800 and the Crimson makes it better.
Overall smooth, more body and adds extension to the low end and maybe the mids too. There is a bit less treble than I used to maybe because of my i5 too which sounds kinda warm, but since it's HD800, it still has enough extension on the highs and in a good way, no more piercing treble (not that I'm sensitive to it though). Surprisingly and unexpectedly or I could be hearing things too, the imaging is better. 
basshead.gif

Next step probably a balanced cable first, then I'll think about DAC along the way. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #23,789 of 28,989
  Thanks! So far this amp is making me not wanting to leave my room but whether if it's new toy syndrome, real improvement or both, I don't know 
biggrin.gif

Stax stand copy maybe. Bought it during my visit to Headfonia store in Asia. 
It just gets the work done, but not heavy enough.

After much agonizing, I gave the Master & Dynamic headphone stands a try. They seem expensive at $60 a pop, but you get what you pay for. The trim lines betray the heavy duty construction; the stand is more than heavy and sturdy enough to stay put. The Senn headband pads straddle the relatively narrow prop rod, so they don't compress and lose firmness over time under the weight of the headset. Construction is spot on, very tight. Packaging and presentation are top notch. Well worth the money to keep your cans off the deck.Got two of them for my 800 and 650. No regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back