The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #23,116 of 28,992
  @Beztis

I think you'll do yourself a favor if you just stuck with your HD 650, my HD 650 has better mids than my HD 800, it's more musical and more easy to listen to. In picture terms the HD 650 is natural, while the HD 800 is like an image with sharpness and contrast increased. Also don't think in anyway that your HD 650 isn't TOTL, the HD 650 has the sonic qualities of an headphone priced at $1000, it certainly is better than some of these new headphones that are getting released.

Also if you believe in the crap that all dacs and amps are the same then do yourself a favor don't get the HD 800, you'll be shooting yourself if you do.

Shame on you.
It's much more fun to believe that each and every new headphone offers a whole new level of performance and joy to the buyer.

Now being serious, I prefer HD800's mids over HD650's mids although I normally enjoy both. That said, I support your attitude.
Finding a headphone that match your personal preferences is more important than the subjective consensus people have about the headphone. These days, each and every headphone with a 300usd price tag will be called mid-fi.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #23,118 of 28,992
HD6X0 are not easier to drive. I'd say they both need the same kind of good amplification than the HD800 needs. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #23,119 of 28,992
  @Beztis

I think you'll do yourself a favor if you just stuck with your HD 650, my HD 650 has better mids than my HD 800, it's more musical and more easy to listen to. In picture terms the HD 650 is natural, while the HD 800 is like an image with sharpness and contrast increased. Also don't think in anyway that your HD 650 isn't TOTL, the HD 650 has the sonic qualities of an headphone priced at $1000, it certainly is better than some of these new headphones that are getting released.

Also if you believe in the crap that all dacs and amps are the same then do yourself a favor don't get the HD 800, you'll be shooting yourself if you do.

While I got a good giggle, its pretty good advice.

The HD800 is a unique listening experience, especially in terms of soundstage.  Senn HD600 / 650 are 'easier' to drive and easier to listen to.

I think the HD-600/650 are a little easier to drive than the HD-800 but still not the easiest, agree that they are easier to listen to for someone who has no experience with decent gear.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #23,120 of 28,992
System synergy I think is probably more important than having the best specifications/measurements  with driving phones like the T1, HD650, HD800 having driven all of them on a range of set ups.

It is easily possible to build a relatively inexpensive great sounding set up around each of  them and unless you have spent time prior listening to them on a top tier set up your going to be very happy and wonder how they could sound any better. 

HD800, HD650 or T1 on a tricked out Bottlehead Crack offer a pretty amazing listening experience for example if you just want to enjoy music without dissecting it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #23,121 of 28,992

... That said, I support your attitude. Finding a headphone that match your personal preferences is more important than the subjective consensus people have about the headphone. These days, each and every headphone with a 300usd price tag will be called mid-fi.

A lot of truth in that statement. Every now and then I'll read a post and wonder is this person looking for impressions to add to their decision making process about auditioning a piece of equipment, or, do they just want to be told by several others that their making a wise decision buying  this or that product, giving them the peace of mind that they've made a good purchase?

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #23,122 of 28,992
HD6X0 are not easier to drive. I'd say they both need the same kind of good amplification than the HD800 needs. 

Yeah, it was definitely my experience that the HD650 was harder to drive than the HD800

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #23,123 of 28,992
I should get a chance to audition the HD800 this week. the thing about amps and dacs I mean a dac's job is to turn 1s and 0s into a wave form, and the odac does that as good as any other dac can if not better. So if you hear a difference in a 2 thousand dollar dac, that means that dac is messing the 1s and 0s and changing the sound, which is opposite of hifi, so it may or may not sound better, but technically speaking it is not doing a good job on what a dac is supposed to do.

Same with amps - an amps job is to deliver power to drive the headphones - an o2 at 6x gain has more than enough power to drive virtually any pair of headphones with minimum THD, so if a 2 thousand dollar amp sounds different, then it's messing with the signal to give an illusion of improvemen (which is not worth 2 thousand dollars imo) 

That being said I do enjoy my OTL tube amp with vintage mullard tubes with my 650hd because I like how it Physically changed the sound to be more soft and pleasurable - but if i spend 1000-1600$ on headphones, i don't like the idea of also having to spend 3000$ on a dac/amp just to fix the headphones, because if it doesn't sound good on the o2odac, then thats mostly on the headphones. But i am hoping the hd800 will be enjoyable with my tubes.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #23,124 of 28,992
  I should get a chance to audition the HD800 this week. the thing about amps and dacs I mean a dac's job is to turn 1s and 0s into a wave form, and the odac does that as good as any other dac can if not better. So if you hear a difference in a 2 thousand dollar dac, that means that dac is messing the 1s and 0s and changing the sound, which is opposite of hifi, so it may or may not sound better, but technically speaking it is not doing a good job on what a dac is supposed to do.

Same with amps - an amps job is to deliver power to drive the headphones - an o2 at 6x gain has more than enough power to drive virtually any pair of headphones with minimum THD, so if a 2 thousand dollar amp sounds different, then it's messing with the signal to give an illusion of improvemen (which is not worth 2 thousand dollars imo) 

That being said I do enjoy my OTL tube amp with vintage mullard tubes with my 650hd because I like how it Physically changed the sound to be more soft and pleasurable - but if i spend 1000-1600$ on headphones, i don't like the idea of also having to spend 3000$ on a dac/amp just to fix the headphones, because if it doesn't sound good on the o2odac, then thats mostly on the headphones. But i am hoping the hd800 will be enjoyable with my tubes.

you're focusing on the digital part of the acronym DAC.  There's also the analog part, ie how well the DAC outputs an analog signal.  Also, DACs have to make a lot of choices in how they "fill in the gaps" of the digital signal.  the digital information is binary, and an analog system is continuous.  DACs will differently make choices on how to make that conversion from analog to digital.

You're describing a DAC like it only passes along the digital signal.  It CONVERTS a digital signal to an analog signal, and in so doing makes a lot of "choices" based on its design, for what that digital signal means in the analog realm.  The analog realm imparts exponentially more information than the digital realm (even at the highest bit rates, continuous is always more information than binary).  Because you're going from less information to more information, a lot of that information has to be "made up" by the converting device.  A chord unit, for example will assume the smoothest possible transition between those digital points of reference, whereas a SABRE DAC will tend to have straighter transitions (that's obviously a drastic oversimplification, but it's just meant to illustrate a relatively simple point).  

You're also wildly oversimplifying what amps do.  Most even decent amps have a flat frequency response.  The issue with amps has more to do with how the THD breaks down.  Some amps will have low THD, but almost all of it is in the highest order harmonics.  This doesn't strictly speaking change the frequency response, but it will result in the amp sounding harsher than an amp with the same amount of THD, but with the THD focused on lower order harmonics.  The great sham of the O2 (and I say that liking the O2 and what it represents) is that it in calling it objective it pretended that all harmonic distortion was the same.  It's been known for decades in speaker hi-fi that the breakdown of harmonic distortion is as important (if not more so) than how much total harmonic distortion there is.  

Next, while most amps have plenty of gain, many don't have a stable enough power supply to smoothly impart that gain in a consistent way.  Power can sag, interference can seep in, they can be infected with DC power in an AC circuit.  A good, beefy power supply will cure those ills (the O2 doesn't have a very good power supply, except the battery units, which sound better, because they're on relatively pure DC).  

Gain is only half the picture as well, in that an amp can have plenty of gain, but run out of voltage or current.  This happens to people using the HE6 with an inferior amp all the time.  Especially when combined with a poor power supply that means the amp can't even provide all the power it's supposed to have in the first place in transients.

Finally amps can differ in the amount of electronic damping they have available.  This isn't an issue with the O2, but it is with a lot of otherwise good amps on low impedance headphones.  You can debate how important this is (me and MeX3 have debated this a lot of times, but it is at least theoretically an issue.  

When I'm buying an amp, gain is probably the very last thing I look at, as there only a handful of amps I've ever seen that don't have enough gain for my most difficult to drive headphone (the HD800 when equalized).  This first thing I look into is the power supply.  How stable is it?  Then I look at the output impedance.  Even for my high impedance headphones, I like the increased diaphragm control of a zero impedance amp.  Some people however like the "fullness" of an amp with less electronic damping though.  A matter of preference there I suppose.  Next I look at what the total harmonic distortion is, and how it breaks down.  These numbers are often hard to find published anywhere, but once you know what to listen for are pretty easily discernible.  This is often what I think most Head-Fiers mean by "tube warmth" or "harshness" in an amp.  It doesn't actually change the frequency response (contrary to the way most head-fiers talk about tube warmth, it doesn't actually add bass or roll off treble in a frequency response sort of way normally).  My personal ideal amp is an amp with very low total THD, but whose THD profile concentrates half of all the THD in the 2nd harmonic alone, then half of what's remaining in the third, and so on down the line, giving a geometric decrease in THD for each harmonic.  Then I look at crosstalk, I obviously want as little as possible.  Then I make sure the amp is well shielded.  

If all those check marks fit, you'd be surprised at how low in total power and gain you can get away with in an amp.  The HD800 doesn't actually need much more than 100mW, if it's done right (and you don't listen at INSANE levels).  

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #23,125 of 28,992

How do you know that the ODAC is doing a correct job of turning the 1 & 0's to a wave form correctly?  Best way that I like to think of what a DAC does is like a carburetor, injector and direct port injection, they all do the same thing in putting fuel in you engine but they do not have the same efficiency/performance and cost.

You are missing the point of what many are saying, its not just the specifications, its the synergy between the headphone, DAC and amp that is what you are looking for.  An O2 with the HD-800 is about a bad as I've heard, very harsh, thin and dry, it makes the HD-800 sound worst than some $25 headphones that I've tried.

Yes an O2 has more than enough power to drive most headphones to very loud levels but that doesn't mean it will sound good.

I agree with what @JamieMcC posted above, its really all about the synergy with higher end headphones.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #23,126 of 28,992
Oh, the Internet. It's comforting to know that these "objectivists" are still miseducating noobs on the fundamentals of how amps and DACs actually work. The sheer comedic irony of these people is that their "scientific knowledge" of amps and DACs is, more often than not, objectively incorrect in terms of both technical function and observable differentiation.

In other words, there is absolutely nothing "scientific" or "objective" about the cookie cutter objectivist doctrine. They are simply a group of horribly misinformed people who willfully ignore readily available data so that they can, more often than not (I believe), mentally justify sticking with their $250 budget amp/DAC combo. Then they complain when their flagship headphone is "thin and bright", lol.

Look, willful ignorance is not objective science. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You'd be well advised to listen to what fjrabon and DavidA are trying to explain to you, as they are far more informed than the so-called "objectivists".

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #23,128 of 28,992

Never think you got all the variables in your hands, science is full of variables and some of them will most likely escape from your reasoning. It happened to Isaac Newton, so you get the idea. Real objectivism is built upon doubt, kill the doubt and you kill objectivism.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #23,129 of 28,992
  I find it really hard to make such claims as absolute truth.
I think it's down to personal preferences and recordings used to test.

Each time you A/B them you'll look for certain specific characteristics and make a judgement with a previous reference / a personal conception about how it should sound.
I really understand why some people say the T1 outclasses the HD800, and I understand when people say the HD800 outclasses the T1 as well.
Most of the times they simply weight their qualities in a different manner.

If you look around, you'll find people that think the AKG K702 is overall better than the HD800.

Of course. No such claim can be considered absolute truth. It is a subjective hobby. I agree 100% with your comment about people weighting qualities differently.

For the sake of argument on my "the T1 is not top 25-30 headphone comment" (which may sound like hyperbole, but was actually a fully thought-through comment), here is a list of 42 headphones which I prefer to the T1:

Abyss AB1266
Audeze LCD-2
Audeze LCD-3
Audeze LCD-4
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC
Campfire Audio Andromeda
Empire Ears Zeus
Enigma Acoustics Dharma
Focal Elear*
Focal Utopia*
Fostex TH-900
Hifiman HE-500
Hifiman HE-560
Hifiman HE-6
Hifiman HE-1000
Hifiman HE-X
Hifiman Shangri-la
Jerry Harvey Angie
Jerry Harvey Layla
Jerry Harvey Roxanne
Kennerton Odin
Koss ESP-950
Mr. Speakers Ether
Mr. Speakers Ether C
Mr. Speakers Ether E prototype
Mr. Speakers Ether Flow*
Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow*
Noble K10
Oppo PM-1
Oppo PM-2
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD800s
Sennheiser Orpheus*
Sennheiser Orpheus 2*
Stax SR-007 MK-I
Stax SR-007 MKII
Stax SR-009
Stax SR-507
Stax SR-407
Westone W60
ZMF Omni

*Note - I have not heard these 6 models yet, but it is (what I'd consider) a safe assumption that I'd prefer them to the T1.
**If you are wondering were the high-end Grados are, I haven't heard any of their top-end models, so the assumption wouldn't be as safe as the 6 models noted above.

Again, I'm not trying to dog the T1, I just think the above models are better. YMMV, of course. You may very well see it differently, and that's okay.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #23,130 of 28,992
Oh, the Internet. It's comforting to know that these "objectivists" are still miseducating noobs on the fundamentals of how amps and DACs actually work. The sheer comedic irony of these people is that their "scientific knowledge" of amps and DACs is, more often than not, objectively incorrect in terms of both technical function and observable differentiation.

In other words, there is absolutely nothing "scientific" or "objective" about the cookie cutter objectivist doctrine. They are simply a group of horribly misinformed people who willfully ignore readily available data so that they can, more often than not (I believe), mentally justify sticking with their $250 budget amp/DAC combo. Then they complain when their flagship headphone is "thin and bright", lol.

Look, willful ignorance is not objective science. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You'd be well advised to listen to what @fjrabon and @DavidA are trying to explain to you, as they are far more informed than the so-called "objectivists".

I concur. This "objectivist" trend seems to have more to do with religion than science. Real scientists always question the reality and our level of knowledge, but our objectivists always have all the answers, which are frequently based on oversimplified understanding of the matters. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back