The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #22,846 of 28,989
  Thanks for all your kind feedback. Currently considering the 430HAD or the Master 11 as an all-in-one solution. Have the LCDX and planning to get HEK later on, but the HD800 is toughest to drive/match so that had to be asked first.

Strictly from HD800 perspective, there was a lot of love at the last two local meets for the Audio-GD NFB-27H, which is a sibling of the Master 11.

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #22,848 of 28,989
  Thanks for all your kind feedback. Currently considering the 430HAD or the Master 11 as an all-in-one solution. Have the LCDX and planning to get HEK later on, but the HD800 is toughest to drive/match so that had to be asked first.

Heard the Master 11 last year when I was in Japan for my friends daughter's wedding, pairs very well with the HD-800.  The LCD-X and HEK were disappointing to me, while easier to drive than the HD-800 for the price they didn't really do anything better than the HD-800 & HD-800S IMO.  I still like the HD-800 better with a tube amp while the HD-800S is better with SS IMO.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #22,849 of 28,989
  Strictly from HD800 perspective, there was a lot of love at the last two local meets for the Audio-GD NFB-27H, which is a sibling of the Master 11.

Heard the Master 11 last year when I was in Japan for my friends daughter's wedding, pairs very well with the HD-800.  The LCD-X and HEK were disappointing to me, while easier to drive than the HD-800 for the price they didn't really do anything better than the HD-800 & HD-800S IMO.  I still like the HD-800 better with a tube amp while the HD-800S is better with SS IMO.

I'll be testing the Master 11 next week hopefully. It's the 430HAD that I can't test so that one I had to rely on reviews and impressions alone. If Master 11 wows me I guess that is it.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #22,851 of 28,989
  The highs are AMAZING sometimes overwhelming, but the headphone is just so beautiful and the sound is astronomically good, i can't wait to hear the 800s! :D

Tradeoffs being that the HD800S highs are not as amazing, but also rarely overwhelming 
beyersmile.png

Boost in bass and ever so slight boost in mid-range presence as well.

I still like my HD800 for its very impressive treble presentation though.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #22,853 of 28,989
  I've heard there are slight changes in the sound stage which was odd given most reviews haven't mentioned it. Did you notice any compromise in the soundstage with the 800s?

I think the differences in soundstage are perceived based on the reduction in the upper frequencies.  To answer your question, yes I felt like the soundstage was affected from HD800 to HD800S.

The HD800 is impressive to listen to but can have a peaky treble on some tracks or if it's not paired with an amp that can really control it.
The HD800S sounds a little more ordinary, but is probably the more well-rounded of the two.

Pick your poison.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #22,854 of 28,989
  I think the differences in soundstage are perceived based on the reduction in the upper frequencies.  To answer your question, yes I felt like the soundstage was affected from HD800 to HD800S.

The HD800 is impressive to listen to but can have a peaky treble on some tracks or if it's not paired with an amp that can really control it.
The HD800S sounds a little more ordinary, but is probably the more well-rounded of the two.

Pick your poison.

Great way to describe the differences and I agree.  HD-800 is the more amp picky of the two IMO

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #22,855 of 28,989

Pick your poison.

It's funny. I've heard the 800 many times over the past year (solid state amps and tube ) and I just didn't get it. I found them to be dry, non musical and analytical sounding but a touch musical with tube amp.I even heard a set that was modded and I still didn't like it. Then I heard a set with the SuperDupont mod and boy did that one make a difference. That experience lead me to buy the newer H800S. I find it to be very musical and engaging and easy to listen to for long sessions without fatigue. Not quite as engaging as my LCD-3 or 4 , nor my Hifiman he-1k, but definitely in the same league.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #22,857 of 28,989
I'm surprised that the Mainline isn't on the top list of amps, as it's in the same bracket as the microZOTL2, since they are priced very similarly. The Mainline has some good reviews too. I just bought a prebuilt Mainline for an amazing price, so I'm contemplating its synergy compared to the other amps with much smaller footprints.

How are you getting on with the Mainline?

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #22,858 of 28,989
What's your budget for an amp? And better question, what type of music do you listen to?

If you're not listening to high res files, and pop, punk, rap, or R&B are what you primarily listen to, the HD800 won't be the best headphone for you.

If you upgrade (sidegrade) to the HEK, I'd still recommend changing your source and amp as the HEK tends to sound very soft with harsher treble when it's underpowered.

Budget for an AMP would be around 1000€.
The Schiit Mjolnir 2 for 849 € seems quiet nice. Are there better available options in Europe for that money?

After only using the HE 560 for the last week my tinnitus was finally gone again.
So for the last two days I tried the HD 800 with some EQ'ing (see below) again and the ringing reoccurred. I am pretty sure its the HD 800 causing the tinnitus.

I love my HD 800 a lot, but the sound quality is not worth the bothersome ringing... If everything works out I will be buying a HE 1000 soon and sell my HD 800.

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #22,859 of 28,989
What a palava, my fingers ache.

Managed to get the pads back on, gave the white plastic bit a little stretch, although how that helped alludes me as they do just appear to snap back in - maybe a more precise alignment is needed with the casing.

Still for this price you think they would make it easier. One cup getting in the way, the inner membrane falling out and moving, the outer shell crumpling. My nice clean pads subjected to endless pressing, even with washed hands they feel all greasy now.  

A damp cloth from now on.
deadhorse.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #22,860 of 28,989

How are you getting on with the Mainline?

Just got it today actually. Assembled it (just the wooden blocks) back to full, and plugged in everything. Listened to a few well known songs to refresh my memories on the crack w/ speedball (with TS5998 and CBS/Hytron 5814A tubes) then connected everything (via iDSD, getting my Mojo sometime next week).

Initial impressions is that it's a lot less brighter than what I expected (from reading the mainline vs crack forums it sounded to me that I would expect the mainline to be a lot less warm). It's incredibly well balanced, and nothing really stands out like bright trebles, bass bloom, mid centric, etc. It's VERY polished, and highs are the smoothest I've heard (but also extended). The bass is better extended than the crack, and absolutely the best bass I've heard. The mids are as good as the crack setup, but I don't think there's much to improve on already. Everything is just more coherent, better balanced and more NATURAL sounding. The more I listen to it the more I'm addicted to it. It's VERY apparent that this is on a completely different level than the Crack. I haven't heard anything on this tier (like the Torpedo 3, Microzotl, Black Widow) to compare with, but I have to say I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with this, even if it were 4 times the size and more uglier looking :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back