The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #22,726 of 28,989
  Yep, just clarified the issue with seller; he was wrong as the termination of the cable is indeed Audeze. Thanks for everyone helping to sort this out.

beerchug.gif

May 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #22,728 of 28,989
  Just received my Liquid Gold this weekend.

This pairing is outstanding and easily one of the best amplifiers I have heard for the HD800

Congrats! Very jealous.

Any comparisons or impressions with your Stratus and ZD?

May 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #22,731 of 28,989

Congrats! Very jealous.

Any comparisons or impressions with your Stratus and ZD?

They all sound different with the HD800, but IMO the Stratus and LAu are in a league above the ZD.
The ZD still sounds great with the HD800, but I'd consider the Stratus and LAu exceptional.

The ZD has an airy presentation with good focus on vocals, but with a less impactful bass.  The airiness often leads to more of an ethereal presentation that sounds very impressive on first listen, but over time lacks the engagement of the other two.  I also find the ZD to have a brighter sound signature than the other two, and be a little less precise at micro detail retrieval.

The Stratus has a very engaging and seductive sound signature.  Music has the most emotion and presence while having very good detail retrieval.  Treble is very well controlled and sounds smoother than the ZD.  Bass extends as far as it does with the ZD, but is better textured and does not lack impact.  It is very dynamic when the track calls for it, but can also cater to points in the track that call for delicacy, which is probably what gives it that extra emotion.  Female vocals are to absolutely die for on the Stratus.  While the soundstage is not quite the size of the projected soundstage of the ZD, it still feels just right to strike the perfect balance between an intimate and impressive sound.

Now finally to the LAu.  The LAu has the cleanest and most precise sound of the three, which isn't surprising considering its circuit (non-tube).  It has the most controlled treble, with (no pun intended) the most 'liquid' transients.  I feel like it is also the least fatiguing of the three due to its superb control over the upper frequencies.  It has a very powerful and dynamic sound, while NEVER sounding fatiguing.  While it doesn't quite have the same seductive sound signature and convey emotion that the Stratus does, it does succeed in sounding VERY natural.  Upon first listen up to the extra 10 hours that I've put on the amp, I knew it was special when I couldn't think of a single real shortcoming.

These are just very shortened and generalized impressions, but highlight the key points, strengths, and weaknesses of each amp when paired with the HD800, IMO and IME.

Below are a few pictures for those that love vacuum tubes as much as I do:

May 23, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #22,732 of 28,989

They all sound different with the HD800, but IMO the Stratus and LAu are in a league above the ZD.
The ZD still sounds great with the HD800, but I'd consider the Stratus and LAu exceptional.

The ZD has an airy presentation with good focus on vocals, but with a less impactful bass.  The airiness often leads to more of an ethereal presentation that sounds very impressive on first listen, but over time lacks the engagement of the other two.  I also find the ZD to have a brighter sound signature than the other two, and be a little less precise at micro detail retrieval.

The Stratus has a very engaging and seductive sound signature.  Music has the most emotion and presence while having very good detail retrieval.  Treble is very well controlled and sounds smoother than the ZD.  Bass extends as far as it does with the ZD, but is better textured and does not lack impact.  It is very dynamic when the track calls for it, but can also cater to points in the track that call for delicacy, which is probably what gives it that extra emotion.  Female vocals are to absolutely die for on the Stratus.  While the soundstage is not quite the size of the projected soundstage of the ZD, it still feels just right to strike the perfect balance between an intimate and impressive sound.

Now finally to the LAu.  The LAu has the cleanest and most precise sound of the three, which isn't surprising considering its circuit (non-tube).  It has the most controlled treble, with (no pun intended) the most 'liquid' transients.  I feel like it is also the least fatiguing of the three due to its superb control over the upper frequencies.  It has a very powerful and dynamic sound, while NEVER sounding fatiguing.  While it doesn't quite have the same seductive sound signature and convey emotion that the Stratus does, it does succeed in sounding VERY natural.  Upon first listen up to the extra 10 hours that I've put on the amp, I knew it was special when I couldn't think of a single real shortcoming.

These are just very shortened and generalized impressions, but highlight the key points, strengths, and weaknesses of each amp when paired with the HD800, IMO and IME.

Below are a few pictures for those that love vacuum tubes as much as I do:

Reading this confirms that I made the right decision going with Cavalli. Have you tried LAu with HD650 yet?

May 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #22,734 of 28,989
Yes, and it's also a great pairing.  Smooth, dynamic, punchy, and still very pleasant to listen to.

What driver tubes have you tried with the ZD, from personal experience the ZD shapes up extremely well with decent driver tunes and not to forget the DAC.
For people reading recommendations please ensure you compare the whole chain.
Just because something sounds organic with one source does not mean it will be the same for you.

May 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #22,735 of 28,989
What driver tubes have you tried with the ZD, from personal experience the ZD shapes up extremely well with decent driver tunes and not to forget the DAC.
For people reading recommendations please ensure you compare the whole chain.
Just because something sounds organic with one source does not mean it will be the same for you.

That's interesting that you mention this, considering on the ZD thread in this post of yours, you said all driver tubes on the ZD cause it to sound the same and for anyone looking at rolling the driver tube for the Zana Deux to take recommendations with grain of salt.

I have been through many 6SL7 tubes, from NOS to current production for the ZD.  I speak for the ZD original version, not the SE or the S, and I speak only for what I hear, not what others (including yourself) may hear.  IMO, the RCA 5691 is the most well-rounded, and best driver tube with the HD800.

I'm using the same DAC for all 3 amps I have listed above, so if there is variance due to DAC to amp synergy, then that is un-related, as I am strictly talking about Amp to HD800 synergy.  For the record, I have tried the Aurlic Vega as DAC for these amps except for the LAu, and my opinion remains unchanged on where they stand.

As I mentioned a few times in my post of impressions above, these are my opinions based on my experiences.

May 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #22,736 of 28,989
That's interesting that you mention this, considering on the ZD thread in this post of yours, you said all driver tubes on the ZD cause it to sound the same and for anyone looking at rolling the driver tube for the Zana Deux to take recommendations with grain of salt.

I have been through many 6SL7 tubes, from NOS to current production for the ZD.  I speak for the ZD original version, not the SE or the S, and I speak only for what I hear, not what others (including yourself) may hear.  IMO, the RCA 5691 is the most well-rounded, and best driver tube with the HD800.

I'm using the same DAC for all 3 amps I have listed above, so if there is variance due to DAC to amp synergy, then that is un-related, as I am strictly talking about Amp to HD800 synergy.  For the record, I have tried the Aurlic Vega as DAC for these amps except for the LAu, and my opinion remains unchanged on where they stand.

As I mentioned a few times in my post of impressions above, these are my opinions based on my experiences.

That post of mine on the Zana Deux was on a tiring day, you know the days we have when even MP3 sounds like flac.

Anyway Iam not doubting your finding a single bit as I haven't heard the Stratus or the Lau.

All Iam saying is something will sound lean or trebly not so much because of the amp but the DAC.
It's very possible that the DAC is on the leaner side and hence does no favours for the Zana Deux.

As for the vega that's absolutely true.

May 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #22,737 of 28,989
Well, it is also entirely possible that the Stratus and LAu simply have the capability of outperforming the ZD! But, they are different price points, so there is room for choice and personal budget/decisions.

May 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #22,738 of 28,989
That post of mine on the Zana Deux was on a tiring day, you know the days we have when even MP3 sounds like flac.

Anyway Iam not doubting your finding a single bit as I haven't heard the Stratus or the Lau.

All Iam saying is something will sound lean or trebly not so much because of the amp but the DAC.
It's very possible that the DAC is on the leaner side and hence does no favours for the Zana Deux.

As for the vega that's absolutely true.

I bought my hd800 about 3-4 years ago, after listening them with a ZD. A ZD is truly an amazing amp with hd800!
I think you should consider to investigate a SuperDupont mod by sorrodje to further improve its performance.
It was truly an awesome mod!

And if you happen to be in SouthEast suburb of Melbourne, please feel free to drop by to listen to stratus.

May 24, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #22,739 of 28,989
  I bought my hd800 about 3-4 years ago, after listening them with a ZD. A ZD is truly an amazing amp with hd800!
I think you should consider to investigate a SuperDupont mod by sorrodje to further improve its performance.
It was truly an awesome mod!

And if you happen to be in SouthEast suburb of Melbourne, please feel free to drop by to listen to stratus.

jsgraha have you got your HD800 modded? Would be ineterested on trying a modded one before trying it on mine.

May 24, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #22,740 of 28,989
jsgraha have you got your HD800 modded? Would be ineterested on trying a modded one before trying it on mine.

Yes, I had the SD mod installed already for about two months. It was quite easy to install and take them off. I had tried the original mod which based on shure tips, but didn't like it unfortunately.

And yes, you may try mine. Maybe we could follow this on pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back