The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #22,546 of 28,992
Lol. Uh, okay dude. I said, "I'd rather have a $300 headphone and a $3,000 amp than a $3,000 headphone and a $300 amp"

I DID NOT say, "I'd rather have a $300 headphone and a $3,000 amp than a $1,800 headphone and a $2,400 DAC/amp."

I don't have any idea how you just took what I said, and made that the opposite of what you said. Clearly, you are powering your HE-X with a device which retails for $600 more than the headphone. So I don't think we are out of alignment here.

Same would probably also be true with a budget Chord Mojo. But I never did this test.

May 2, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #22,550 of 28,992
I can't believe even after nearly 3 years of using the HD800 I am still quite frequently fooled by its surreal soundstage. I often take off the headphone because I thought the music is coming from my speakers when listening to music or because I thought someone had dropped something or knocking on my door or etc when watching movies..

Well anyway, rocking Led Zeppelin II LP late at night with the HD800. 

May 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #22,551 of 28,992
  Having owned the HD800S for a few weeks now I am in love. So crisp and clear...however

.. I am really wanting to get into the end game audio setup.

Right now I am using the Woo WDS DAC --> Woo WA22 Tube Amp ---> HD800S 
Wondering if this setup can compare anywhere close to Stax SR009 with a WES or BHSE Amp?

You don't list a DAC in your electrostatic comparison, but the WA22 is a fine amplifier. Liquid Gold level? Ehh, not really. I'd dump WDS in favor of Yggdrasil in both cases. 

If you want real endgame, just put your name down for the Orpheus Successor 
wink_face.gif

May 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #22,554 of 28,992
I am using a Norne Draug II balanced cable with my stock hd800 set. With an adapter for 1/4 SE outputs. That was my way of eq-ing the HD800 :) Seems they have developed Bass and no edge to the treble. I just received a microZOTL2 SE OTL tube amp. Wow! A great match with my hd800. Bass, treble, detail and prat. Macbook with Amarra into a Bifrost Multibit via usb.

May 4, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #22,555 of 28,992
Lol. Uh, okay dude. I said, "I'd rather have a $300 headphone and a $3,000 amp than a $3,000 headphone and a $300 amp"

I DID NOT say, "I'd rather have a $300 headphone and a $3,000 amp than a $1,800 headphone and a $2,400 DAC/amp."

I don't have any idea how you just took what I said, and made that the opposite of what you said. Clearly, you are powering your HE-X with a device which retails for $600 more than the headphone. So I don't think we are out of alignment here.

I'll also agree with this. Having been through many of the TOTL headphones, DACs, media players, and speaker amps, I definitely prefer to use a mid-fi headphone with a solid upstream rig (transport, source, amp), rather than throwing uber high end headphones and speakers with crap front end. You can always hear the collapsed soundstage, lack of clarity, and a sense of grainyness with a poor front end.

I know its an uncommon opinion with most, but I'd honestly use my D2000 or HD598 out of TOTL front end, rather than have a HD 800 on a mediocre rig. Every time. Even those low end headphones benefit quite a bit from clean amplification. Lack of fatigue is the biggest advantage of having a solid front end.

May 4, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #22,556 of 28,992

I'll also agree with this. Having been through many of the TOTL headphones, DACs, media players, and speaker amps, I definitely prefer to use a mid-fi headphone with a solid upstream rig (transport, source, amp), rather than throwing uber high end headphones and speakers with crap front end. You can always hear the collapsed soundstage, lack of clarity, and a sense of grainyness with a poor front end.

I know its an uncommon opinion with most, but I'd honestly use my D2000 or HD598 out of TOTL front end, rather than have a HD 800 on a mediocre rig. Every time. Even those low end headphones benefit quite a bit from clean amplification. Lack of fatigue is the biggest advantage of having a solid front end.

HD6XX scale very well.

May 4, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #22,557 of 28,992

I most definitely concur.

I'm running $40/pair speakers from my setup and they continue to surprise me and in most unexpected ways, when I apply tweaks to the system.
This does run counter to the conventional wisdom to 'get the best speakers/headphones as the highest priority'.

But the performance of these Dayton speakers surprises not just me but my SO as well, who isn't into tunes much at all.

Her comment is most telling,
"I can hear the oboes, you NEVER hear the oboes".

JJ

May 4, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #22,558 of 28,992
I thought I was done with headphones after HD 800, but after hearing that Audeze recently changed their LCD-2 to sound more like the non-Fazor LCD-2.2, it kinda got me thinking. (Stats will happen sometime down the road.)

I really loved my LCD-2.2. Far more than my HE-500 and LCD-3C. I think the HD 800 is definitely the better headphones over these technically and musically, but that old LCD-2 holds a real special place. I could never fault that headphone. It did everything perfectly that it was trying to do. It had a purpose and it was the absolute best at it. Slight emphasis in the mids and placed the vocals smack dead in the middle and gave them its own room in the centerstage. It was really intimate. The bass kicked deep and in all the right places. Perfect mid-bass to sub-bass ratio. I think the LCD-3 had more sub bass than mid bass, which didn't let it kick as hard and proper as LCD-2 or HD 800. The treble on the LCD-2 was rolled while still having decent imaging and details. It was the most pleasing experience. I have actually fallen asleep with the LCD-2s on multiple occasions and woken up hours later.

With HD 800, the imaging is so on point and with great details that I can only take power naps. I'll doze off for 30 mins and wake right back up. The imaging and detail is too good for that. Kind of like a Formula 1 car, can't doze off. I also think the HD 800 sound better if you actively pay attention to it. Sure it sounds great if you're doing other things, but it really shines when you just focus on the music alone. With the LCD-2, its much more lenient.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried out the newer LCD-2s and know how they compare to the HD 800 or the old LCD2.2? Any amps that work well for both LCD-2 and HD 800? Off the top I'm thinking BHA-1, Taurus, GS-X, M9. As much as I have avoided tubes, something about the WA22 looks really appealing. Every few months I'll get this urge to try a tube amp, and it always starts with the WA22. It looks lovely!

May 4, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #22,559 of 28,992
Hi to everybody ! I have received yesterday the HD800 (first version , not S! ) i'm really happy because i thought that will be not good with my AUDIO GD NHB 29H , but on the contrary , the pairing reveal to be very good , huge soundstage , very good Basses ( quality , quantity ), excellent Mids , plenty of details ,but the most important is , the hghs are not so harsh ! Sure that the peak on the 4/6khz is present , but i can live with that ! Very , very impressive pair of cans !
o2smile.gif

May 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #22,560 of 28,992

That is actually hitting the nail on head, people don't usually practice it but its so true.
I have learnt it the hard way but its not easy to practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back