The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #22,456 of 29,017
THis is my first post here and I just bought HD800 a month ago. I am using HD800 with Chord Mojo I think it needs more power. Now Im planning buy a tube amp but the available tube amp in my country is Woo Audio Wa7, Woo Audio Wa6 and Cayin CS55a. Since I don't have credit card, I will stick to buy tube amp here in my country. I am planning to get the Cayin CS55a but I don't know if it will synergy well with HD800. Any thoughts on Cayin CS55a? Sorry if my grammar is wrong, english is not my first language. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #22,457 of 29,017
  THis is my first post here and I just bought HD800 a month ago. I am using HD800 with Chord Mojo I think it needs more power. Now Im planning buy a tube amp but the available tube amp in my country is Woo Audio Wa7, Woo Audio Wa6 and Cayin CS55a. Since I don't have credit card, I will stick to buy tube amp here in my country. I am planning to get the Cayin CS55a but I don't know if it will synergy well with HD800. Any thoughts on Cayin CS55a? Sorry if my grammar is wrong, english is not my first language. Thanks.

Hi. I am in similar case like you with Mojo & Hd800 and the iCan SE. However, I understand HD800 gels well with tube amp. I have decided to shortlist two of them Ray Samuels Raptor & the Elise from Feliks Audio. Check it out. I believe it has had many positive vibes specially with the Hd 800.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #22,458 of 29,017
  Hi. I am in similar case like you with Mojo & Hd800 and the iCan SE. However, I understand HD800 gels well with tube amp. I have decided to shortlist two of them Ray Samuels Raptor & the Elise from Feliks Audio. Check it out. I believe it has had many positive vibes specially with the Hd 800.

Thank you for you suggestion but The thing is I dont have credit card so I cannot buy through paypal or outside in my country. So i am choosing between those 3 amp that i said that is available here. Woo Audio Wa7, Woo Audio Wa6 and Cayin CS55a. More likely i will get the Cayin but i dont know if the other 2 amp will synergy well with hd800.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #22,459 of 29,017
  Thank you for you suggestion but The thing is I dont have credit card so I cannot buy through paypal or outside in my country. So i am choosing between those 3 amp that i said that is available here. Woo Audio Wa7, Woo Audio Wa6 and Cayin CS55a. More likely i will get the Cayin but i dont know if the other 2 amp will synergy well with hd800.

Based on my experience of these two woo amps in meet conditions, they do not sound bad, but don't synergize particularly well with the HD800.  I'd take the Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball over either of them for the HD800.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #22,460 of 29,017

What about Mjolnir 2? I'm still looking at the LC, and the MJ2 is about the same price. 

Definitely take a look at these. Not the most popular amp but heard some good things! 

I say Mjolnir 2 is better. I didn't mention it earlier because your question only referred to Valhalla and Ragnarok. Phonitor Mini is another option, though it's single-ended solid state.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #22,462 of 29,017
Haha not gonna lie, I'm maybe farther from making a decision than I was a few days ago. There are just so many good choices :frowning2:

Liquid Carbon, Feliks Audio Elise (or the rest of that line ~$1k), Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2, microZOTL2, WA2, WA6SE...

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #22,463 of 29,017
  Haha not gonna lie, I'm maybe farther from making a decision than I was a few days ago. There are just so many good choices :frowning2:

Liquid Carbon, Feliks Audio Elise (or the rest of that line ~$1k), Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2, microZOTL2, WA2, WA6SE...

Might be best to start with the cheapest and purchase it secondhand from the classifieds.  Then when you're ready to try something else sell it for minimal loss and move up the chain.  This way you learn from your own experiences instead of getting confused by many other people's experiences.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #22,464 of 29,017

dont forget the new ifi pro headamp.

Im in the same boat and the options are crazy. im leaning toward mjolnir 2, feliks or bryston

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #22,466 of 29,017
t think some of the gripes in my Mjolnir 2 review were in fact the result of the source—I'm listening to Isabelle Faust, Daniel Harding, and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra do a fantastic Brahms Violin Concerto on the HD800s and I can't imagine an amp doing more for these awesome cans. Tight, extended bass; effortless, sibilance-free treble, engaging, neutral midrange. The headphones are utterly transparent.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #22,468 of 29,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back