The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #21,722 of 28,992
Classical piano try Stax 007
wink.gif

The 009 — and even more, the original Omega from the '90s — are my ideal phones, but until I can get a BHSE it's not in the cards.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #21,723 of 28,992
I'm also a totally devoted classical music audiophile.  It's that the HD800 - especially the new HD800 - rendition of the fortepiano is so real (and realistic) that one may describe as larger than life.  In fact, it is just 'grandiose'.
I just love it with the HDVD 800.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #21,724 of 28,992

The damaged part in question. Usually this area isn't exposed at all, but it is just hanging open now.

If nothing is physically broken, line the spring up with the little peg on the earcup side (silver painted side), push them together (like they would be normally), and push that chrome hinge peg down back into place. It just looks like the hinge got loose, no big deal. :)
This happened to me, and I put it all back together and haven't had a problem since!

This was the problem. Lined it all up, pushed everything back into place and now it is good-as-new.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #21,726 of 28,992
Anyone using hd800 with Moon [COLOR=333333]Neo 430HA ? will it be a good investment? or should i go with a tube amp? no i can not audition any of the options :frowning2: i will feed them with naim nd5xs/cd2x ( will add eps soon)....[/COLOR]

I hated that pairing. No soul what-so-ever. Harsh highs and lack of mids. I tried it with a couple of different DACs as well. If your looking for a sterile sound, one might like the combo, I did not.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #21,727 of 28,992
  Anyone using hd800 with Moon Neo 430HA ? will it be a good investment? or should i go with a tube amp? no i can not audition any of the options :frowning2: i will feed them with naim nd5xs/cd2x ( will add eps soon)....

If you're in that price range, you should probably be looking at the Cavalli Liquid Crimson or Liquid Gold, the DNA Stratus or the Questyle CMA800R (or better yet, a pair of them in monoblock configuration).

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #21,728 of 28,992

If you're in that price range, you should probably be looking at the Cavalli Liquid Crimson or Liquid Gold, the DNA Stratus or the Questyle CMA800R (or better yet, a pair of them in monoblock configuration).

Comparison to Master 9 for HD 800?

Especially CMA800R in mono vs M9?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #21,729 of 28,992

Comparison to Master 9 for HD 800?

Especially CMA800R in mono vs M9?

The M9 is very proficient (and quite, quite good with the HD800), but these amps are all superior. The thing that strikes me about the CMA800R is that it is super holographic, IMO. I feel like you can just reach out an touch the performers. Organic, liquid, warm, and above all, super clean. I haven't done a head-to-head with these two, I would imagine the M9 is comparatively clean but a little bit drier and less musical in comparison.

The M9 isn't what I would call clinical sounding, but compared to any of the above it will be. The Cavalli amps rock harder than just about anything - they just have a ton of soul. Even Alex's little Liquid Carbon will go toe-to-toe with the M9 and put up a good fight. The M9 wins against the little Carbon on some technicalities, but when it comes to enjoying the tunes, I find myself reaching for the Carbon more often than not. The Crimson and Gold bring even more musicality - but at a level of technical proficiency that will flatten the M9. You can't go wrong with either. The Stratus, too - that amp's mids will make you cry like a baby. I only heard it once, but my jaw was literally dropped open the entire time. I don't think I've ever heard my music sound prettier.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #21,732 of 28,992

The M9 is very proficient (and quite, quite good with the HD800), but these amps are all superior. The thing that strikes me about the CMA800R is that it is super holographic, IMO. I feel like you can just reach out an touch the performers. Organic, liquid, warm, and above all, super clean. I haven't done a head-to-head with these two, I would imagine the M9 is comparatively clean but a little bit drier and less musical in comparison.

The M9 isn't what I would call clinical sounding, but compared to any of the above it will be. The Cavalli amps rock harder than just about anything - they just have a ton of soul. Even Alex's little Liquid Carbon will go toe-to-toe with the M9 and put up a good fight. The M9 wins against the little Carbon on some technicalities, but when it comes to enjoying the tunes, I find myself reaching for the Carbon more often than not. The Crimson and Gold bring even more musicality - but at a level of technical proficiency that will flatten the M9. You can't go wrong with either. The Stratus, too - that amp's mids will make you cry like a baby. I only heard it once, but my jaw was literally dropped open the entire time. I don't think I've ever heard my music sound prettier.

What source were you using in your testing? I figured the M9 might lag behind in 'musicality' based on what I've heard as its very neutral. Although surprised that it also falls behind in transparency.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #21,734 of 28,992
The source is really important when it comes to Master 9 and HD800. I owned the Auralic Vega with the Master 9 and sold my HD800 a month later. But when I bought my Totaldac dual things turned right and I bought the HD800 again. The Master 9 can´t create musicality and beautyful midths on its own. But it is a fantastic amp to transport the beauty of a really great source. It doesn´t add something to the sound, but is really transparent. I found the pairing with Sabre Dacs didn´t work for me.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #21,735 of 28,992
  The source is really important when it comes to Master 9 and HD800. I owned the Auralic Vega with the Master 9 and sold my HD800 a month later. But when I bought my Totaldac dual things turned right and I bought the HD800 again. The Master 9 can´t create musicality and beautyful midths on its own. But it is a fantastic amp to transport the beauty of a really great source. It isn´t euphonic in any way, but really transparent. I found the pairing with Sabre Dacs didn´t work for me.

This statement sounds like a huge turn off, but I don't think you intended for it to sound that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back