The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #21,421 of 29,010
  Treble extension is not something I'd trust from people who've intended shows.  Those super high frequencies could have gotten drowned out quite easily, as it's not something that's very audible.  Hell, half the time I don't even trust myself when it comes to qualifying treble extension in extended listening sessions in my quiet room when comparing headphones.

The resonator does seem to work in smoothing out the treble peaks though, according to measurements from the community with their experimental resonators.  

The extra bass and treble extension would be something I'd love regardless though, can't wait for full reviews later on.

I totally agree. Although it seems that in Vienna they had an HD800 and an HD800S both coming out of an HDV800 amp so you  could quickly go back and forth. So, it isn't definitive, it is encouraging. We also have sennheiser saying that is how it will sound so expectation bias could be coloring the early reports. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #21,422 of 29,010
I will have to check out that reasonably priced dac. I've yet to hear long note decay with solid state gear that is less than 8 grand or so. I'd rather put that kind of money in a 2 channel. Tubes has been able to tweak at a much lower cost.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #21,423 of 29,010
The only reason why I knock off hd800 is because of its unmusical, and analytical nature. Which is most important thing to me because I listen to music with headphones. If HD800S sound more refined and more musical than HD800, sure I purchase. I hope that 800"S" stand for soul. Since hd800 miss alot of it.

Back for more 800 bashing huh,  Funny for someone that hates the sound so much you sure keep coming back to comment.  It is really starting to look like you are just upset that you can not afford a pair or something...............Or you have an ax to grind.........................PS a short audition does very little in showing you the true potential of any headphone. You are stuck using the equipment the dealer has set up for audition and his particular settings for that equipment which he tailors to his idea of SQ.....................You can buy a used pair for 850ish now so stop hating and jump on board, Take the time to BUILD a SYSTEM and then your opinion will mean something

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #21,424 of 29,010
Back for more 800 bashing huh,  Funny for someone that hates the sound so much you sure keep coming back to comment.  It is really starting to look like you are just upset that you can not afford a pair or something...............Or you have an ax to grind.........................PS a short audition does very little in showing you the true potential of any headphone. You are stuck using the equipment the dealer has set up for audition and his particular settings for that equipment which he tailors to his idea of SQ.....................You can buy a used pair for 850ish now so stop hating and jump on board, Take the time to BUILD a SYSTEM and then your opinion will mean something

Well, it is true that spending 850 in a hobby when I already have multiple headphones is not a chum change to me at all, but it's also not like I am piss broke. :)

The audition for hd800 was used with exact same setup for multiple other headphones from Audeze,Grado,Audioquest,Senns,Hifiman. And musicality wise, it was not as good as Audeze and NH and hifiman which cost less. I do remember Grado 1000 being worse than HD800 though but even Audeze EL-8 had better musicality than HD800.

I did just remember the owner of the shop saying what most are saying here, you got to get a right setup for hd800 after I said hd800 sounds unmusical.

Maybe I give 800S a try.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #21,425 of 29,010

Well, it is true that spending 850 in a hobby when I already have multiple headphones is not a chum change to me at all, but it's also not like I am piss broke.
smily_headphones1.gif

The audition for hd800 was used with exact same setup for multiple other headphones from Audeze,Grado,Audioquest,Senns,Hifiman. And musicality wise, it was not as good as Audeze and NH and hifiman which cost less. I do remember Grado 1000 being worse than HD800 though but even Audeze EL-8 had better musicality than HD800.

I did just remember the owner of the shop saying what most are saying here, you got to get a right setup for hd800 after I said hd800 sounds unmusical.

Maybe I give 800S a try.

Just a matter of preference.  I had the LCD-X and much prefer the HD800.  You have pointed out numerous times you don't like the HD800.  So,  move on to another forum.  Everyone here gets your point.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #21,426 of 29,010
Just a matter of preference.  I had the LCD-X and much prefer the HD800.  You have pointed out numerous times you don't like the HD800.  So,  move on to another forum.  Everyone here gets your point.

Well, you got that half-wrong. ME not liking the HD800 is a given, but my other thing is to stop other people from buying the HD800 because of the overblown hype people like you spew out. But I will move on, not because of your suggestion, but because I don't want to be associated with such a overblown, unmusical headphone like the HD800 in any way shape or form. Go ahead and spend another whatever sum of money on "trying" to get a good setup for it, amps, preamps, cables etc. When you could have spent half or 1/3 of money getting better satisfaction with your local HE and a NH or a Audeze with a normal everyday amp and cables. Unsuscribed - lol.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #21,427 of 29,010
If the HD800 was really the loser that the prior poster stated, then would it have survived this long?  In the end of the spectrum for analytical, resolving, and spacially superior headphones, this is the best.  People don't like it for being too much that.  Audeze headphones are colored to be warmer and bass heavy.  People like that.  I do too, and I own a couple of them.  I switch between the two brands because they are good companions to each other.  Some music just sound better on the HD800. BTW amping the HD800 to a suitable level is not hard.  They are just harder to drive.  You don't have to spend tons of money.  Just find an amp that has enough power.  If you can't even recognize that then you're in the wrong hobby.  

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #21,428 of 29,010
For good or bad, the HD800s are the headphone by which others are measured. That is why I own them.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #21,429 of 29,010
If the HD800 was really the loser that the prior poster stated, then would it have survived this long?  In the end of the spectrum for analytical, resolving, and spacially superior headphones, this is the best.  People don't like it for being too much that.  Audeze headphones are colored to be warmer and bass heavy.  People like that.  I do too, and I own a couple of them.  I switch between the two brands because they are good companions to each other.  Some music just sound better on the HD800. BTW amping the HD800 to a suitable level is not hard.  They are just harder to drive.  You don't have to spend tons of money.  Just find an amp that has enough power.  If you can't even recognize that then you're in the wrong hobby.  

Do you believe the o2 gives a proper power to drive the 800?

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #21,430 of 29,010
Do you believe the o2 gives a proper power to drive the 800?

Here is your answer.

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-800/with/jds-labs/objective2

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #21,431 of 29,010
Well, you got that half-wrong. ME not liking the HD800 is a given, but my other thing is to stop other people from buying the HD800 because of the overblown hype people like you spew out. But I will move on, not because of your suggestion, but because I don't want to be associated with such a overblown, unmusical headphone like the HD800 in any way shape or form. Go ahead and spend another whatever sum of money on "trying" to get a good setup for it, amps, preamps, cables etc. When you could have spent half or 1/3 of money getting better satisfaction with your local HE and a NH or a Audeze with a normal everyday amp and cables. Unsuscribed - lol.

I'm not sure where that inner hate is coming from :)

People enjoy different sound signature, not everyone will be liking the same headphones, else there would not be variety of them.

I think the HD 800 is not overblown (hype) and to me I have auditioned HD 800, Stax 009 and Hifiman HE1000 all together, and I can't tell which of these are better (Pretty much which sound sig you like).

Remember each to the their own.

P.S You should not force people to hate or like a certain headphones, they should really audition and be a judge for themselves.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #21,432 of 29,010
  Here is your answer.

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-800/with/jds-labs/objective2

That's a cool site.  Might I add I also like the OPPO HA-2 driving the HD800 as a portable solution.  

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #21,433 of 29,010
Well, it is true that spending 850 in a hobby when I already have multiple headphones is not a chum change to me at all, but it's also not like I am piss broke.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I give 800S a try.

You need to get the right amp in particular. One with ohm output. Probably even benefit the hd800(s) as well. Source is important as well, I would say put a good half of what you spend on the amp on a source or you will be disappointed again. Not allot of amps out there with ohm output but there's at least 1 at 4 different price levels I can recommend. $1k bottlehead mainline, $2k Ecp dsha-2, $3k dna stratus, $5k Apex Teton. I would not go any less than the mainline, meaning minimum $2500 including source, it just scales that good.

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #21,434 of 29,010

You need to get the right amp in particular. One with ohm output. Probably even benefit the hd800(s) as well. Source is important as well, I would say put a good half of what you spend on the amp on a source or you will be disappointed again. Not allot of amps out there with ohm output but there's at least 1 at 4 different price levels I can recommend. $1k bottlehead mainline, $2k Ecp dsha-2, $3k dna stratus, $5k Apex Teton. I would not go any less than the mainline, meaning minimum $2500 including source, it just scales that good.

+1 The jump from mid range to ultra fi levels in dac and amp is worthy of consideration with the HD800 not to say they don't sound very good on more modest set ups. But a synergistic totl dac/amp pairing really enables the hd800s to shine and show what they are capable of.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #21,435 of 29,010
May I throw in the Torpedo III with Cinemag transformers as being my favourite pairing with the HD800 now, beating my Valhalla 2, modded BH Crack and even the Auralic Taurus MKII single ended output. Truly Summit Fi level amp the Torpedo III with Cinemag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back