The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #21,406 of 29,017
  Would buying the HD 800 for $1360 CAD be good or save and get the TH-x00 on Massdrop? I listen to a wide variety of genres although mainly EDM. Conflicted right now because I only have the O2 but always wanted the HD 800s and they're on sale. But I feel like the TH-x00 is a really good price and should be valued much higher.... What to do !!

I have a Denon D2000 with D5000 wood cups.  I absolutely love this headphone, but the HD800 is just better in every way (except for the bass).    If I could only own one headphone, it would be the HD800.  The Denon\Fostex models are the perfect companions for the Sennheiser. 

I got in the drop for the THX00 -- I'm hoping to replace the D2000 with the Massdrop model.   The price is just okay.  When you compare it with the price of the TX900/600 then it seems like a great bargain.  If you compare it to the price of the D5000 (used to retail for $500) then the price seems to be fair, sure, but not the greatest bargain under the sun.   It really depends on how good this Massdrop model turns out to be.  If the THX00 is better than the D7000 (used to retail for $800) then it is a really good price indeed.   

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #21,407 of 29,017
The only reason why I knock off hd800 is because of its unmusical, and analytical nature. Which is most important thing to me because I listen to music with headphones. If HD800S sound more refined and more musical than HD800, sure I purchase.

Again the HD800 may not be for everybody.  However I find them to be very musical and like their analytical nature​.

Why I asked is I have found personal sound preference and price have little to do with the quality of the product.  I have heard expensive headphones that just were not my cup of tea.  That did not mean they were not worth their price.  As stated the HD800 is already very refined.  Maybe that is what you are calling analytical?

The information on the HD800S states there has been additional dampening.  How that will effect the sound and if you would then find it to be a better match for you only listening will tell.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #21,408 of 29,017
With the right music the hd800 is extraordinary. Owning numerous headphones I can choose specific music for each phone. With the right music and amp the hd800's are magic.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #21,409 of 29,017
With the right music the hd800 is extraordinary. Owning numerous headphones I can choose specific music for each phone. With the right music and amp the hd800's are magic.​

I use the Schiit Lyr and adjust the SQ by switching tubes. 

And you are right.  They are magic...

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #21,410 of 29,017
My biggest issue with HD800 is the treble peak, and then it could also use a little more bass. I have tried the Anax mod and I have tried with tubes, but it still bothers me. Otherwise the headphone is superb.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #21,411 of 29,017
  My biggest issue with HD800 is the treble peak, and then it could also use a little more bass. I have tried the Anax mod and I have tried with tubes, but it still bothers me. Otherwise the headphone is superb.

I use judicious EQ. A couple of db of boost and cut and I'm good. The 800s really don't need much.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #21,412 of 29,017
The only reason why I knock off hd800 is because of its unmusical, and analytical nature. Which is most important thing to me because I listen to music with headphones. If HD800S sound more refined and more musical than HD800, sure I purchase. I hope that 800"S" stand for soul. Since hd800 miss alot of it.

What? What are you driving them out of again? 

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #21,414 of 29,017
Again the HD800 may not be for everybody.  However I find them to be very musical and like their analytical nature​.

Why I asked is I have found personal sound preference and price have little to do with the quality of the product.  I have heard expensive headphones that just were not my cup of tea.  That did not mean they were not worth their price.  As stated the HD800 is already very refined.  Maybe that is what you are calling analytical?

The information on the HD800S states there has been additional dampening.  How that will effect the sound and if you would then find it to be a better match for you only listening will tell.

Well, the time I did audition it which was a short time, it sounded very unmusical in a/b with NH, Audeze LCD-2. Even compared to my own HD650, it sounds unmusical. I do hope the new HD800S improves on this regard. I know Senn's can do it, since my momentums and hd650 sound musical. Just don't know why it dosent with hd800. it should sound most musical since it is higher price.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #21,415 of 29,017
The only reason why I knock off hd800 is because of its unmusical, and analytical nature. Which is most important thing to me because I listen to music with headphones. If HD800S sound more refined and more musical than HD800, sure I purchase. I hope that 800"S" stand for soul. Since hd800 miss alot of it.

Since many have stated the "new" hd800S has slight changes in it's sound signature it will have the same "analytical" characteristic as the original mk1. Rolling off the high's and adding additional bass with the "S" model WILL NOT make it more "musical" 

So much can be done with source and amplification with the original HD800.

This is why using the Anax mod and tweaking of sound with tubes warrants no upgrade path getting the "s" version for me.

To my ears the HD800 can be musical as long as your using a good source. I could not handle the HD800 if I strictly ran only solid state equipment. 

This is why I've stated that an upgrade path or lateral change with different manufacturer would provide a different sound signature away from the well known signature sound of the original HD800.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #21,416 of 29,017
   Rolling off the high's and adding additional bass with the "S" model WILL NOT make it more "musical" 

Just for the sake of accuracy, sennheiser is claiming the highs on the HD800S are "more extended" compared to the HD800 and "smoother". Early reports from folks who heard them in Vienna last week seem to concur. Just pickin' nits :)

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #21,417 of 29,017
The HD800 signature is the HD800 signature regardless of amping.  The only thing that amp does is deliver the requisite power matching that they need.  What you are hearing is the characteristics of the amplifier and source, not changing the HD800.  It's about synergy.

Though I haven't heard every HD800 / amp combo, I've hear enough through my own purchases and at HeadFi meets.  Give that and now owning the McIntosh MCA70 {same as the MHA100} and the Naim DAC-V1, I would find it difficult to go back to tubes and tube rolling.  The McIntosh and Naim provide the be best to tubes and SS for me.  YMMV.

Quote:
  To my ears the HD800 can be musical as long as your using a good source. I could not handle the HD800 if I strictly ran only solid state equipment. 

This is why I've stated that an upgrade path or lateral change with different manufacturer would provide a different sound signature away from the well known signature sound of the original HD800.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #21,418 of 29,017
Treble extension is not something I'd trust from people who've intended shows.  Those super high frequencies could have gotten drowned out quite easily, as it's not something that's very audible.  Hell, half the time I don't even trust myself when it comes to qualifying treble extension in extended listening sessions in my quiet room when comparing headphones.

The resonator does seem to work in smoothing out the treble peaks though, according to measurements from the community with their experimental resonators.  

The extra bass and treble extension would be something I'd love regardless though, can't wait for full reviews later on.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #21,419 of 29,017
Well, the time I did audition it which was a short time, it sounded very unmusical in a/b with NH, Audeze LCD-2. Even compared to my own HD650, it sounds unmusical. I do hope the new HD800S improves on this regard. I know Senn's can do it, since my momentums and hd650 sound musical. Just don't know why it dosent with hd800. it should sound most musical since it is higher price.

I​ had the chance to spend a week with the Nighthawks.  I found them to be a beautifully manufactured, quality product, that sounded quite musical and worth every penny they charged.  However I also found the highs to be very rolled off.  While the mids and bass extension were very good.  I do not like dark sounding headphones so they were not for me.

The LCD-2 is a set on my list.  Hope they have well defined and clear highs.

Again price has very little to do with you liking the sound of a given headphone.

I also own HD600. I find that l enjoy them far more than the "veiled" sound of the HD650.  But to each his own.  And of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #21,420 of 29,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back