The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #19,967 of 28,989
I would love to be able to audition some amps and dacs with my hd800's. Unfortunately there is no where close to me that give me this ability. The reason I buy so much stuff from Amazon and only from them is the return policy. Unfortunately they don't sell many of these dacs/amps on Amazon for me to try that are recommended on these forums :mad:

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #19,968 of 28,989
I just placed order on HD800 and will receive it next week. It's an upgrade from HD650, RS220, and K712,

If by any chance someone had used NuForce Icon HDP for the HD800 please reply as much as you can. This is the only headphone amp that I have. Does the NuForce Icon HDP have enough power the HD800? Would it be horrible for this combo? I will not have any $$$$ for a better amp suited for HD800 for a year and I do not want to buy a cheap amp at a few hundreds of $. But I do want to verify that the received HD800 is OK. Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #19,969 of 28,989
  I just placed order on HD800 and will receive it next week. It's an upgrade from HD650, RS220, and K712,

If by any chance someone had used NuForce Icon HDP for the HD800 please reply as much as you can. This is the only headphone amp that I have. Does the NuForce Icon HDP have enough power the HD800? Would it be horrible for this combo? I will not have any $$$$ for a better amp suited for HD800 for a year and I do not want to buy a cheap amp at a few hundreds of $. But I do want to verify that the received HD800 is OK. Thanks in advance.

Sad but Yes

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #19,970 of 28,989
I'm so enthused by the HD800 that I now have two sets of HD800 (one at work and one at home).

Out of 10 DACs tested, only the HDVD 800 gave me the sound I had always wished for from the HD800. The HDVD 800 widened the sound stage dramatically, both at lower and higher volumes.

However, I had to change the cable and I'm using the Sennheiser balanced cable.  The cable made a big difference in the lower frequencies.  

Good luck with the $$, but this combo is really excellent. 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #19,971 of 28,989

Congrats. For your amp. I wouldn't worry so much. Maybe it sounds horrible compared to some best offers but who care if you can compare :wink:.  A good and cheap benchmark is the Schitt Vali . it's darn cheap and sounds really decent with the HD800 and the 650. 

If you hate the HD800 with your current amp, I don't think another amp or DAC will make you love it suddenly. If you like the HD800 but want to see if there's some improvement : Valhalla 2 /BH Crack or Meier Corda Jazz for example.  Mid priced Amps with very good value :wink:

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #19,972 of 28,989
I would love to be able to audition some amps and dacs with my hd800's. Unfortunately there is no where close to me that give me this ability. The reason I buy so much stuff from Amazon and only from them is the return policy. Unfortunately they don't sell many of these dacs/amps on Amazon for me to try that are recommended on these forums
mad.gif

Same here, I would have figured that New York would have far more places that sell some of these.  Hawaii only has best by, w mart and k mart, only beats & bose, maybe a few sony here and there.  Did find a music store that had DT-150 and HD-598 but that was it.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #19,973 of 28,989

Congrats. For your amp. I wouldn't worry so much. Maybe it sounds horrible compared to some best offers but who care if you can compare :wink:.  A good and cheap benchmark is the Schitt Vali . it's darn cheap and sounds really decent with the HD800 and the 650. 

If you hate the HD800 with your current amp, I don't think another amp or DAC will make you love it suddenly. If you like the HD800 but want to see if there's some improvement : Valhalla 2 /BH Crack or Meier Corda Jazz for example.  Mid priced Amps with very good value :wink:

You've been using the Vali with TOTL headphones and a TOTL DAC for quite a while now. Do you have the urge to upgrade? I believe you were waiting for a DNA amp - is that still incoming?

I own a Vali, but I found that both the balanced outputs of the M-DAC and the Valhalla 2 provided a significant improvement with the HD800's and HD650's.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #19,974 of 28,989
Oh Yeah,  I have the urge to upgrade. the Experience with the Vali is significantly inferior from what I got with the HE-9 and the Sonett and my daily listening enjoyment is not the same for sure. Indeed, my Stratus is coming and I hope it will sound as good as I hope, especially with the Theta I just bought to Negura. 

The Point with the Vali is that the HD800 does not sound wrong (thin, lean , sterile, uninvolving , lack of focus and abnormally wide soundstage and all usual suspects) . It dos not sounds really good as I could hear with some better amps but at least not wrong. with the Vali, the HD800 sounds engaging and lively with a lack of refinement. then it's a good way to know how other amps sit.  For more money , I'd advice a Meier Corda Jazz for that purpose but.. the Vali is so darn cheap :) . Maybe Magni 2 / 2 uber could be a good choice as well. I'll try the Beresford Capella to see if it can fit the bill and replace my Vali. 

I assume the Val 2 is superior to its little brother indeed. Never tried myself. A Meier Corda Jazz is obviously superior to the Vali.  But for 100$... nothing to complain about. I paired the paired the Vali with different sources ( NFB 12, Beresford Caïman mkII , Ibasso Dzero MkII , Modi 1 , Totaldac A1 ) and the little piece of Schiit was transparent enough to let me hear differences. The best pairing was with a somewhat dark and/or smooth source ( NFB12 for example ) that tends to tame a bit the treble energy of the Vali. 

That's only my personal experience

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #19,975 of 28,989
  Oh Yeah,  I have the urge to upgrade. the Experience with the Vali is significantly inferior to what I got with the HE-9 and the Sonett and my daily listening enjoyment is not the same for sure. Indeed, my Stratus is coming and I hope it will sound as good as I hope, especially with the Theta I just bought to Negura. 

The Point with the Vali is that the HD800 does not sound wrong (thin, lean , sterile, uninvolving , lack of focus and abnormally wide soundstage and all usual suspects) . It dos not sounds really good as I could hear with some better amps but at least not wrong. with the Vali, the HD800 sounds engaging and lively with a lack of refinement. then it's a good way to know how other amps sit.  For more money , I'd advice a Meier Corda Jazz for that purpose but.. the Vali is so darn cheap :) . Maybe Magni 2 / 2 uber could be a good choice as well. I'll try the Beresford Capella to see if it can fit the bill and replace my Vali. 

I assume the Val 2 is superior to its little brother indeed. Never tried myself. A Meier Corda Jazz is obviously superior to the Vali.  But for 100$... nothing to complain about. I paired the paired the Vali with different sources ( NFB 12, Beresford Caïman mkII , Ibasso Dzero MkII , Modi 1 , Totaldac A1 ) and the little piece of Schiit was transparent enough to let me hear differences. The best pairing was with a somewhat dark and/or smooth source ( NFB12 for example ) that tends to tame a bit the treble energy of the Vali. 

That's only my personal experience

I fully agree, for the money the Vali is quite amazing. Very resolving and very enjoyable. I actually intend to use it with my incoming Gungnir Multibit while I wait for the Liquid Carbon, and I have no doubt that it will perform well :).

I just knew that you were aware of the improvements that better amps would provide for the HD800's, which is why I was curious as to why you were still using the Vali. We just need to tell ourselves that good things come to those who wait 
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #19,976 of 28,989
Yea . I was in the camp of people who think that gear does not matter so much if not at all. Then I heard my HD800 on a Eddie Current Balancing Act + Totaldac D1 Dual system and it blew my mind. Trust me, i was really doubtful and reluctant to accept such conclusions but my ears told me that was the sound I was after .

Hope the Theta + Stratus will bring me close to that achievement. 

First experience of improvements was with the HD580. firts time I tried it with the Meier Corda Jazz , I understood that for some  headphones ( not all) , amp matters a lot.  I heard /owned/reviewed a bunch of headphones for whom amp and dac does not matter at all . But the Hi end Senn family ( HD6X0 headphones are somewhat Hi End in my experience) or the HE-6 are examples of headphones that need care for associated equipments.  Still in my Experience. 

That's not to say it needs Expensive amp or source.  Expensive does not always means good in my little experience. 

Last but not least point. what's good or not good is essentially a matter of what are the expectancies and tastes of the listener. Several HD800 owners here are perfectly happy with gear I wouldn't spend One hour with. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #19,977 of 28,989
  I fully agree, for the money the Vali is quite amazing. Very resolving and very enjoyable. I actually intend to use it with my incoming Gungnir Multibit while I wait for the Liquid Carbon, and I have no doubt that it will perform well :).

After I get through my CIEM/IEM phase I plan to get back to my HD 800 setup. Looking to get a Gungnir Multibit to pair with Vali. Would love to hear your thoughts! Ever since I got Vali I've been so impressed by it, even sent the Valhalla 2 back! Part of me still wants another Valhalla 2 though, a very aggressive amp with great PRAT.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #19,978 of 28,989
Would you say the WA2 is better at driving the 800's? I'm wondering, because I found the WA2 to lack resolution. It was nice, warm, rich and romantic sounding, especially with the 650's, but it left a lot to be desired as far as precision details with the 800's. I was wondering if you were using it with the planars, which account for them sounding overly bassy. I haven't found an OTL that I'd recommend with planars yet. As far as my upgrade from Woo amps, I found the Eddie Current Zana Deux to be a superb amp for both the 650's and 800's.
My WA2 with all NOS tubes does not make me feel as though I'm lacking resolution at all with my 800s.
All listening with the X was on the Burson Virtuoso.
Eddie Current must be nice with the 800 would think.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #19,979 of 28,989
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #19,980 of 28,989
  Same here, I would have figured that New York would have far more places that sell some of these.  Hawaii only has best by, w mart and k mart, only beats & bose, maybe a few sony here and there.  Did find a music store that had DT-150 and HD-598 but that was it.

If you mean NYC then there are plenty of stores that you can audition headphones that we talk about on head-fi.

I had the HDP a few years ago and thought it was pretty mediocre for the price. I believe it was 400-500 at the time. You should just wait until the HD800 arrives and then see if it's something you can live with or want an improvement down the line. I've always believed that one should buy the best headphone they can afford and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back