The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #19,936 of 28,992
I've read conflicting reports on this. For some don't hear it or don't mind it, others have said they find it distracting.

I been doing my research.

Top tier soundstage: Sennheiser  HD800
Top tier full bass body: LCD 2 Rev.1
Top tier bass impact/rumble: Fostex TH900
Top tier imaging accuracy: Beyerdynamic T1
Top tier clarity/resolution: Hifiman HE1000
Top tier mids - Probably one of the flagship Grado

Any combination of  those aspects in one headphone would be in the $3,000-$5,000 range headphones.

I'm on page 1,120,  almost caught up.

If I do spend $1,000, I want the soundstage & imaging to be noticeably improved & any brittleness, harshness or overly brightness to the the highs be smoothedout.
I know it is impossible for any amp/dac to give the HD800 the bass of the LCD2, so I am abandoning that dream.

One approach to jumping on the "top tier' bandwagon is to decide your choice of headphone will be the center piece of your system, and then build the rest of the system to 'properly' feed them.

This is an exercise in scaleability, as in, how well does your choice really scale when fed a better signal.

And if your goal is to achieve a benchmark system there are a few systems that can be obtained at a variety of price points.
I heard one at a local meet where the entire system cost ≈ $1000 and it was kick ass.
Of course it could be improved here and there for a few hundred more.

My point is, what is the goal of your desire for a system?

JJ
ps 800's when fed a highly scaled signal, will keep pace better, along with the very best of the TotL headphones available today. And yes it does take tweaking and fussing to find out just how far they will go into scalebility. So if tweaking isn't something you want to deal with, then keep this in mind.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #19,937 of 28,992
Pull the trigger on something already.

You're just going to sell it sooner or later anyway because the price levell you're at for amps won't do the 800s justice and you're always going to think, "what if........"

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #19,938 of 28,992
snip
I know it is impossible for any amp/dac to give the HD800 the bass of the LCD2, so I am abandoning that dream.
This simply does not match my experience, at all.

In fact the bass out of my 800's goes lower, with way more definition and detail and power than the LCD-X's I auditioned.

JJ

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #19,939 of 28,992

In fact the bass out of my 800's goes lower, with way more definition and detail and power than the LCD-X's I auditioned.

JJ
Sorry to say this newguy but it appears that your research isn't giving you all the facts.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #19,940 of 28,992
I'd be interested in hearing what your experiences are.

Care to elaborate futher?

JJ

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #19,941 of 28,992

JJ

I live with both of 800 & X in more than a year (till I upgrade the X to he1000), and I concur this. HD800 bass when properly amped from a good source to my ears were better than lcd bass (I live with lcd-2 rev 2 for a year and audition lcd-2 rev1). HD800 bass had more texture, resolution, deeper and better impact (though lcd bass felt more richer). Upgrading the source from audio-gd ref7 + sonicweld diverter to schiit yggy gain a better bass on my setup (among other things). But this gain was heard more on hd800 than to lcd-x, so I decided to sell the X.

Still like the LCD-X though, it's one of a great phone on my book. Easy to match with amp as well.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #19,942 of 28,992
I lived with the HEK for a week, have the HD800, HE560, and tried everything else on your list. I am new to the HD800, still tweaking. In my system the HEK is the best I have ever heard, but it isn't $1,500 better than the HD800 IMO.

I love my Taurus, but would like to add tubes to the mix. Was going to trade my Uber Bifrost towards a Kenzie Headamp but the seller backed out.

So Jazzz, JJ, and other 800 Old Hands, get a Valhalla 2or wait wait for a DNA to show up on the F/S Thread?

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #19,943 of 28,992
In what ways the HE1000 is better than HD800?
I lived with the HEK for a week, have the HD800, HE560, and tried everything else on your list. I am new to the HD800, still tweaking. In my system the HEK is the best I have ever heard, but it isn't $1,500 better than the HD800 IMO.

I love my Taurus, but would like to add tubes to the mix. Was going to trade my Uber Bifrost towards a Kenzie Headamp but the seller backed out.

So Jazzz, JJ, and other 800 Old Hands, get a Valhalla 2or wait wait for a DNA to show up on the F/S Thread?

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #19,944 of 28,992
I felt the overal cohesiveness of its presentation and I prefer the bass on planars.
pearljam50000

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #19,945 of 28,992

JJ

HD800's do have excellent, tight, detailed, punchy bass. But LCD-X's do it better, imo.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #19,946 of 28,992
Auditioned the X for two weeks against the 800. Kept the 800. Its bass was much more accurate, detailed and more "right".
Everything had excess bass through the X. Very annoying. Cymbals had bass.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #19,948 of 28,992

Don't ask me that! You should have noticed that I'm a self-confessed amp opponent.
wink.gif

More seriously: That's an attitude I can justify as a Hugo owner. But I'm the wrong person to ask this anyway, as I have no experience with the current Head-Fi favorites. Maybe a MicroZOTL 2 or a HeadAmp GS-X mk2 if you ask jamato8 or Icebear.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #19,949 of 28,992

Don't ask me that! You should have noticed that I'm a self-confessed amp opponent.
wink.gif

More seriously: That's an attitude I can justify as a Hugo owner. But I'm the wrong person to ask this anyway, as I have no experience with the current Head-Fi favorites. Maybe a MicroZOTL 2 or a HeadAmp GS-X mk2 if you ask jamato8 or Icebear.

I'd recommend to get a good (musical sounding with preferred style) source in the first place.
An amp should not be a patch for some upstream issue.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #19,950 of 28,992
Actually I love the Taurus Mk.2, I just miss having tubes in the house. Not "patching" but supplementing.

Was thinking of the Valhalla 2, Crack/Speedball, or Icon Audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back