The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #19,156 of 28,989
Imo neither is correct as there is no absolute opinion and everybody's perception of sound is different. If someone says that the LCD-X doesn't sound relaxed, it is his/her perception. Only because others may disagree doesn't mean that it isn't true for that person. As ear anatomy, hair, HRTF, mood, personal tastes and preferences play an important role a single headphone won't sound identical for everyone.

At least I can say that (compared to the neutral Etymotic ER-4S and almost neutral UERM) to me the HD 800 has a moderately recessed midrange, as well as moderately emphasised highs and a hump in the bass region, whereas the LCD-X has got the more full-bodied sound signature with evenly emhasised bass and ground tone, prominent midrange which is rather on the dark side, as well as a recessed presence area. That's what I perceive.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #19,158 of 28,989
  Old new, but to those who loves the Blues be sure to check out..

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Mesmerizing with HD800 :)

I know exactly what you're talking about 
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #19,159 of 28,989
  Imo neither is correct as there is no absolute opinion and everybody's perception of sound is different. If someone says that the LCD-X doesn't sound relaxed, it is his/her perception. Only because others may disagree doesn't mean that it isn't true for that person. As ear anatomy, hair, HRTF, mood, personal tastes and preferences play an important role a single headphone won't sound identical for everyone.

At least I can say that (compared to the neutral Etymotic ER-4S and almost neutral UERM) to me the HD 800 has a moderately recessed midrange, as well as moderately emphasised highs and a hump in the bass region, whereas the LCD-X has got the more full-bodied sound signature with evenly emhasised bass and ground tone, prominent midrange which is rather on the dark side, as well as a recessed presence area. That's what I perceive.

That was my problem too.

Quote:

I think that my problem is with the way that they present music especially in the mid and upper mid (in comparison of my westone 4r+75ohm resistance). I feel there is a thin mask between me and the guitar or cymbals. Music is not as aggressive as I like. Maybe it's the hd800 that I'm listening to is defective (its SN is 8XXX) or maybe I accustomed to inear's sound too much.
I used different songs from guitar centric (like Joe Satriani) to drum centric (like Tool) to good mastered (like Porcupine Tree)

That was why I went to T1 and it was better for me.
Quote:

Honestly, I was in this point too. Deciding between T1, HD800, HE560 is a hard choice. Especially for someone like me who accustomed too much to w4r and sony z1000 midrange.
I tried hd800 for 2 days, but honestly, I couldn't get connection to it. Then I went to T1 and it was a better choice.
I can n't compare them in depth. But, my main problem was that they were not focused in the midrange and I couldn't get emotionally involved with their midrange.
I found their midrange not clear enough. I felt that there was a thin skin between me and their midrange. What I've found very interesting, is that a dip in 500hz (and peak at 3khz) can remove that feeling.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #19,160 of 28,989
I don't find the midrange to be recessed myself... where the HD-650's bring about a warm, holographic midrange with a good OTL amp, the HD-800's replace midrange warmth with tonal accuracy. I do agree that the HD-800's tend to have an emphasis on treble (especially stock), however modded, they sound fairly linear to me. Driving the 800's from the Zana Deux, I am certainly satisfied with the accuracy and warmth... I think they can sound much different depending on the source. For a lot of genres, I prefer the 800's imaging to the 650's magical mids.

As for preferring the T1's; I personally prefer the DT-880's. I think Beyer produced a fairly neutral sounding headphone with the 880... I don't know what they were after with the T1.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #19,161 of 28,989
i think hd800 is not  evaluated enough. look among the high end headphones its the most popular headphone its has 1278 pages in headfi. its got in 2009.
7 years old and still kicking and fighting this newer high end headphones (dharma, mr speakers ether, lcd, hifiman stax and on and on... 7 years, maybe its no longer the "king" but still very exellent all arounder and give hard fight to all this new players around. kudos to Sennheiser  i love my hd 800 (-:
with proer amp like dna stratus it will give fight even  hifiman he-1000. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #19,162 of 28,989
  The HD800 actually has a mild depression in its presence region in the upper midrange-lower treble.  That region (3-5khz) is where a lot of the harmonics for acoustic instruments, and the snap of percussion is, it's what I consider to carry most of the energy in the audio range.

In that sense, I find the midrange of the HD800 a little laid-back in of itself, but LCD-X is way more extreme in that regard.  HD650 and HD600 are actually quite full in that region, thus quite snappy.  They don't quite have the mid-upper treble presence though.

That's just the way I personally hear things.

The HD800 sounds a bit little warm due that small dip (and a small peak in the treble region), no energy is lost in my opinion. It's actually quite pleasant. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #19,163 of 28,989
Thanks to everyone that offered advice on whether I should stick with the HD800's or not.

I've decided to pick up a Valhalla 2 as well as a balanced cable to drive them balanced from the M-DAC (to use when I feel like using my reference system).

Gustard X12 + Valhalla 2 ---> HD800's

VS

Audiolab M-DAC ---> balanced outputs ---> LCD-X's

Should be interesting to see which setup I prefer. The M-DAC and LCD-X combo is absolutely amazing.

I might also pick up a pair of HD650's, depending on how much I enjoy the DT880's from the Valhalla 2 compared to the Gustard H10.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #19,165 of 28,989
I'm thinking on getting the Apogee Groove as a DAC/amp for my HD800, but i'm not sure if it is powerful enough, can anyone tell me if it is enogh for the HD800?!
Specs:
Features:
USB 2.0 connection to Mac and PC
Up to 24 bit / 192kHz audio
ESS Sabre DAC
Enhances your iTunes, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora or other music listening experiences
Constant Current Drive™ provides smooth frequency response with any headphones
Quad Sum DAC™, 4 DACs per channel for highest dynamic range and lowest distortion
Asynchronous clocking
Multi-color LEDs for status and level indication