The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #18,511 of 28,989
The HD800 price in the UK looks high right now on Amazon UK if you convert it to USD $ because of the current exchange rate.......$1951  
eek.gif

On the other hand the price for HD700 seems almost at bargain levels at the equivalent of $549 
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #18,512 of 28,989
Well duh it's not like Sennheiser itself selling on Amazon will dump the phones for a bargain.

999£ seems to be standard webshop price around co.uk. Pretty sure you can haggle if you actually contact the hifishops.

Here I can just walk to a local store (one of the largest retailers) and grab them from shelf for 945€ = 1061$ - 24% VAT = 855$ US comparison price. 
wink.gif
 Well to be fair 1099€ is the "standard" webshop price around here.. but as always they are negotiable.

May 6, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #18,513 of 28,989
My opinion is there is no reason for the price to be lowered. They sound unrivalled by anything currently available. 
And yes I mean that,  but has to marry up with top shelf source,  dac and amp

May 6, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #18,514 of 28,989
  Well duh it's not like Sennheiser itself selling on Amazon will dump the phones for a bargain.

999£ seems to be standard webshop price around co.uk. Pretty sure you can haggle if you actually contact the hifishops.

Here I can just walk to a local store (one of the largest retailers) and grab them from shelf for 945€ = 1061$ - 24% VAT = 855$ US comparison price. 
wink.gif
 Well to be fair 1099€ is the "standard" webshop price around here.. but as always they are negotiable.

Thanks for your directional feedback.

I am not buying from Amazon or recommending you do so, I was merely comparing the pricing differences and highlighting the relatively low price of the HD700s which in GBP are £350 and that has to be a bargain in anyones currency..........or wherever you buy them? 

May 6, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #18,515 of 28,989
I really wanted to get these babies again, I already had 2 of them and sold them off because of bad pairings haha (my fault!).

This time the only thing thats blocking me from grabbing the 800s again is I can't accept that the paint finish on the body easily chips off and the alcantara pads on them are inferior to the alcantara pads on the momentum on ears! 

I hope senn fixed these small issues (at least for me).

Note: the first 800 I owned was a second hand mint unit, pads was ruined after about 8 months of my use and there were some chippings on the paint of the body.
the 2nd unit I got was brand new, maybe 4 months after i got rid of my old 800. Same problem with the paint at around 13 months of use, the pads didn't get ruined UNTIL i tried to remove the pads to clean them, a medium rub on the alcantara literally brushed off the outer layer and exposed the cloth inside.

May 6, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #18,516 of 28,989
  I am not buying from Amazon or recommending you do so, I was merely comparing the pricing differences and highlighting the relatively low price of the HD700s which in GBP are £350 and that has to be a bargain in anyones currency..........or wherever you buy them? 

During these years I've never seen HD800 on sale (and I mean a real price reduction, not the regular low prices I already mentioned). HD700 has been many times, like you see on Amazon right now, also here locally they've been around the same price on special times (420€ = 310£). I guess it doesn't sell that well. Comparing a flagship and lower-tier model is pretty apples and oranges.

May 6, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #18,518 of 28,989
  FinalIy i pull the plug and bought one of this last week for 1300 aussie dollars. At the moment i'm still burning it in.

That is good news,  I got my pair after years of hating then lol,  I  had almost all headphones except for the stag. 

This time I got them because  I had the right gear  just so I could get the best out of them. 

What dac amp are you using ? 

May 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #18,520 of 28,989
May 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #18,521 of 28,989
I simply want the best out of hd800 , I didn't want it to sound thin ,bright anylitcal.
is there any amp or dac can make hd 800 sound diff. than that , I'll be so happy to try it .

This could be another 200 pages but I heard this the other day:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-transparent-auralic-taurus-mkii-page-2

Innerfidelity hall of fame (I found out after hearing this)

Extremely transparent. Very smooth. The sound was a complete "one". The review mentioned the precision imaging.

If I was looking for a $2k+ amp in a totally true natural and smooth amp this would be up there at that price

Maybe a starting point.

And appeared that it would be very flexible with many many headphones.

May 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #18,522 of 28,989
  I simply want the best out of hd800 , I didn't want it to sound thin ,bright anylitcal.
is there any amp or dac can make hd 800 sound diff. than that , I'll be so happy to try it .

After the one star rating you gave them on Amazon...I don't  think anything in the world can make them sound good to you at this point.

May 6, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #18,523 of 28,989

If you don't like the sound of the HD800, trying to chase gear that will change them is not the answer.

I finally accepted that I love the HD800 with some music and hate it for others. If I looked to gear to alter what I don't like about them, the magic is lost elsewhere.

For me the answer was a 2nd set of headphones.

May 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #18,524 of 28,989
If you don't like the sound of the HD800, trying to chase gear that will change them is not the answer.

I finally accepted that I love the HD800 with some music and hate it for others. If I looked to gear to alter what I don't like about them, the magic is lost elsewhere.

For me the answer was a 2nd set of headphones.

I only listen to jazz and classical on hd800 and it's amazing. Everything else meh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back