The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #16,861 of 29,013
  HD 800 are not even headphones. If you want to get smooth uncolored sound you will have look to the side of the headphones used in the Studio during the mixing of the sound. But I don't think you
liked this sound. It's a boring sound. this is not a Fi-Hi.

Sound Liaison, for one uses the HD800 as their mastering headphone http://www.soundliaison.com/

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #16,862 of 29,013

WA7 is good, but not that good. It's quite neutral for a tube amp, very detailed and well extended - at least with the upgraded tubes and power supply. The sound is subtle and comes from a noise free background. What it lacks for me though is pure raw brutal slam. It just doesn't deliver in this department. 

I have been using it with the HD800 for about a year, but if you disregard the honeymoon period, I have been most of that time on the outlook for something more satisfying, as it always had me wanting more and feeling there must be another level out there. And there is.

I don't want to sway you to spend more, as that may be necessary to get to that level, but rather set your expectations right. With the WA7 you'd be getting a very capable and quite enjoyable amp that can handle most of dynamic and planar headphones, but if my experience is any indication, it won't deliver the end-game feeling. 

I totally agree with your opinion here. I think you've accurately expressed my feelings about the WA7/HD800 pairing much better than I ever could. Just seems that the WA7 lacks a certain "weight" with the HD800's.  I'm certainly still on the lookout for a more satisfying amp for them.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #16,863 of 29,013
if you are on a budjet or simply want the best sound and the most compact size possible with the most power to drive the hd 800 I recommend the geek out 1000. that thing is out of this world with hd 800. at first I thought it was a gimmick, but this thing is flat out incredible. the dac section has better sound than my hegel hd 12. and the amp section has about 3 times the power of the hd12. with hd12 volume pot is between 65 to 75 for comfortable listening level with hd 800. with geek out 1000 volume pot is never over 50. mostly at 29-30. this thing is a beast. this thing sound almost as good as my hegel25 beta22 amp rig. if not better.  I am still in shock of the quality of this little device. it will be my main amp and dac for my hd 800 for a long time. I love that thing.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #16,864 of 29,013
It seems many listeners appreciate a lot this Geek Out 1000 . It's definitely something I would like to try :)  . Unfortunately, I have bad experience with the GO 450. Noisy with Iems and crappy volume settled to the max at each boot upset me.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #16,865 of 29,013
So today I decided to see if the method of setting the level of volume on my headphone amps volume attentuator would work as
well using my HD800 as it has with the other hps I'd try this with. When you listen to a lot of dynamically intense music it can become
a royal PITA jumping up & down making little adjustments while you're trying just relax & get into the "flow" of whatever you are listening to

I discovered completely by chance that if I adjusted the volume of an oboe's solo part in Ravel's Bolero (RCA Living Stereo / Charles
Munch / BSO) so that it sounds reasonably tonally correct (neither too low or too loud) (& this still amazes me) everything else that
I may decide to listen to for the entirety of my listening session will sound like it is at (or very close) to the ideal volume where the
music sounds "tonally" correct & this in turn keeps it sounding "dimensional"

I can't imagine how many factors are involved to allow this even work, let alone work consistently. What I do know is that it has to be
in individual instrument that you familiar with it tonal characteristics & the particular recording you use has to have a fairly high
level of "realistic instrumental tone" integrity . The particular recording I chose to use is about 65yrs old

One other thing that just occurred to me is the system you're using for your listening may have at a bit higher! then entry level for this
to even work ! Even then it may just be I have a random set of circumstances in my setup that allows it to work ! (Or I may not
be entirely human)

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #16,866 of 29,013
  HD 800 are not even headphones. If you want to get smooth uncolored sound you will have look to the side of the headphones used in the Studio during the mixing of the sound. But I don't think you liked this sound. It's a boring sound. this is not a Fi-Hi.

There are studios and even grammy winning artists with the Sennheiser HD800 you know.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #16,868 of 29,013
Well that depends on taste but My highend active speakers are just As Good but different and more warm.

I have listen to almost any studio monitor out there and HD800 supasses almost all of Them, IMO.

But if you Enter Stax 007 or 009 it Will not make sense gettin even the Best active speakers.

Easlily gets off topic, feel free to pm.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #16,869 of 29,013
So the can or can't the HD800 replace active studio monitors?

Nope, apples can't replace oranges even if they taste better.  
biggrin.gif
 IMO, of course!

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #16,870 of 29,013
Well that depends on taste but My highend active speakers are just As Good but different and more warm.

I have listen to almost any studio monitor out there and HD800 supasses almost all of Them, IMO.

But if you Enter Stax 007 or 009 it Will not make sense gettin even the Best active speakers.

Easlily gets off topic, feel free to pm.

While I partially agree, that's a mighty strong statement...
Like you said, let's get back to topic.  We've been down this road quite a few times before.  Let's not do it again.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #16,872 of 29,013
ubs28
Everyone chooses the tool with which it can cope.) I would choose something from the DT150, DT250 or even better from AKG. Why do you hyped scene when mixing? If Studio headphones is a good sound, so the HiFI you will hear just a great sound. Such dependence for mixing

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #16,873 of 29,013
lol ^_^
It's just I have a budget of 1500$ and cant decide if to get HD800 or active studio monitors, I'm looking for the highest SQ.

Two things to consider 1) Everyone's opinion for which has the highest SQ is based on..what....on how it sounds to THEM !!! . All you can do is count up all the comments of those who are impressed & those who aren't. Look back to see who said the things that made you interested. Normally people who don't care for something have this idea they have give more information on why something is not
that good (Is anyone asking them to prove this ? It's really ok to just pass on things). People who like thing normally just leave a comment or 2. If you still can't decide write down 5 yes & 5 no & mix them up in a hat & pick 1 out (if its no the answer you wanted to see ..keep picking until you do)

2) Active Studio Monitors sound nothing like Headphones.......

Hey it only money !! right ? (Ive just spent about 3hrs listening to the HD800s but I only care to listen to Acoustic / (mostly Orchestral
music) & I think they're as good as anything I've  heard,but you will be listening to them)

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #16,874 of 29,013
To me speakers vs headphones also accomplish different things than just playing music.  Speakers fill the room and have no tether or something clamped to my head or stuck in my ears.  Headphones are for me alone and tie me to a location dictated by how long the tether is and how long I can stand having something clamped to my head or stuck in my ears.
They each also present the music differently.

In my case I have mostly opted for headphones because I can play them as loud as I want and not disturb the neighbors and I can tune out everything except the music.
Basically, it comes down to what you want to get out of the experience and what your personal priorities and tastes are...good luck with your decision.
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #16,875 of 29,013
I had the original WA7 with upgraded tubes and sold it off pretty quickly.  Went to a Naim DAC V1 and a Woo WA6 (which I found better than the WA7) and finally landed on the McIntosh MHA100.  WOW!
TBH, the only one that needs to be happy is you.  Through my journey, I've come to the conclusion that If your setup works for you, then Enjoy and Happy Listening! It's all about the music.
Quote:
Hola everyone. I swung buy to see if anyone would think that getting the woo WA7 for the hd800 would be a good choice for a very long time and not need to upgrade. Im really struggling to find something for the hd800s that makes me feel like im done researching so darn much for a "perfect like" amp and dac combo for these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back