The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #16,877 of 29,017
lol ^_^
It's just I have a budget of 1500$ and cant decide if to get HD800 or active studio monitors, I'm looking for the highest SQ.

I would get HD800 (or a similar headphone). 
    Headphones are for me alone and tie me to a location dictated by how long the tether is and how long I can stand having something clamped to my head or stuck in my ears.
They each also present the music differently.

The sweet spot of most speakers is really small. To get good sq you can't move very much either. With a 2-3m cable you are much more flexible than with speakers.

In addition with speakers you have to take care of the room, many rooms just sound bad. It will not be done with 1,5k $ as room treatment will cost another 1,5k $. On the other hand if you buy HD800 you will need an amp/dac, or do you already have one? But that might be cheaper than treatment of the room as there are many good low budget amps imo.

If you prefer speakers or headphones is just a matter of personal taste. Some of my friends "hate" listening with headphones and prefer speakers even if the sound quality is wore. Finally you won't get the sound quality of an HD800 (or similar hp) from speakers in the same price rage. HD800 will "beat" them hands down. You will get much more details and a cleaner sound. But what's the advantage of that if you just are a "speaker guy".

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #16,879 of 29,017
lol ^_^
It's just I have a budget of 1500$ and cant decide if to get HD800 or active studio monitors, I'm looking for the highest SQ.

I thought you ended up getting the 8030s.

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #16,882 of 29,017
I only auditioned them because I'm not sure if a 5 inch woofer can handle deep bass. But they do sound good.

Oh, okay. For me there are 3 setups that I have at the moment and finally don't have to worry about which one to fund first. I think you are probably trying to figure out something like this?:

1) Headphone setup
2) Big speakers for a large room and extended FR with a big feel
3) Smaller speakers for desktop

2-3 years back I would have funded the headphone setup first. Now, no way. Regardless of the sound, I just can't be attached to a limited space with something stuck on top of my sound. Speakers give me more freedom. Also, sound coming from the front is less fatiguing to me. That's why I got rid of the LCD-3's and funded a speakers rig first and then later came to HD800.

If you know your priorities and preference, then the answer should be simple. If you don't know which to choose first, you have no choice but to dive in and learn it first hand. You might have to sell some stuff until you nail it, but it will be worth it in the long term. Also, look at LSR305 and 308. HD800 and 305's could be a good headphone-speaker pair without breaking the budget too much.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #16,883 of 29,017

Oh, okay. For me there are 3 setups that I have at the moment and finally don't have to worry about which one to fund first. I think you are probably trying to figure out something like this?:

1) Headphone setup

2-3 years back I would have funded the headphone setup first. Now, no way. Regardless of the sound, I just can't be attached to a limited space with something stuck on top of my sound. Speakers give me more freedom. Also, sound coming from the front is less fatiguing to me. That's why I got rid of the LCD-3's and funded a speakers rig first and then later came to HD800.

If you know your priorities and preference, then the answer should be simple. If you don't know which to choose first, you have no choice but to dive in and learn it first hand. You might have to sell some stuff until you nail it, but it will be worth it in the long term. Also, look at LSR305 and 308. HD800 and 305's could be a good headphone-speaker pair without breaking the budget too much.

Exactly what I have.  My HD800 and LSR308's came in just under $1500.  Grab a nice used pair of HD800s here on head-fi or Crutchfield has refurbs back in stock for $1100.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #16,884 of 29,017
Feb 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #16,885 of 29,017

Exactly what I have.  My HD800 and LSR308's came in just under $1500.  Grab a nice used pair of HD800s here on head-fi or Crutchfield has refurbs back in stock for $1100.

Thinking about crutchfield.. do you know if these have cosmetic issues potentially?

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #16,887 of 29,017

My first pair of HD800 came from crutchfield and they had a couple of very small paint chips on the edge of one cup, otherwise the pads, box, cable, manuals all looked brand new.

Cool.. so nothing too terrible

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #16,888 of 29,017

1) Headphone setup

So does the 308 need an amp for computer use? If so any recommendation. That is in the budget side of things?

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #16,889 of 29,017
So does the 308 need an amp for computer use? If so any recommendation. That is in the budget side of things?

Just need a pre-amp since it's active.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #16,890 of 29,017
308 is an active speaker, so no Need for and AMP as is its all in one package :wink:
As a bonus do they Sound much clearer than any passive speaker.

Just Need a dac.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr308#.VN5tkYbqHv5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back