The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #16,456 of 29,017
  I emailed toxic cables to enquire about the below.

They quoted me 680 pounds = 1027 dollars for 6 feet.

What planet do they reside on?

LOL, I needed a 14ft cable and pretty quickly after "shopping around" I arrived at Norne Audio.
I ended up with a Norne Vanquish for my HD800 and I like sound, handling, built quality and price.
14ft from the usual suspects would have cost more than the headphone
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #16,457 of 29,017
  LOL, I needed a 14ft cable and pretty quickly after "shopping around" I arrived at Norne Audio.
I ended up with a Norne Vanquish for my HD800 and I like sound, handling, built quality and price.
14ft from the usual suspects would have cost more than the headphone
eek.gif

I also recommend Norne Audio for very attractive, high quality construction cables without the insane pricing. The cables are also highly customizable in terms of choices for connectors and colours and splitters, and still within reasonable pricing (just a bit over buying a replacement stock cable).

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #16,458 of 29,017
You guys are really making me consider the Draug 2. So is Draug 2 the best Norne cable for HD800? I went to the site and saw a few models but didn't really know which ones would be suitable for HD800 or what the differences exactly are and what they mean.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #16,460 of 29,017
  The Draug 2 is outstanding with the hd800 from my experience. 

is it really a noticeable difference from the stock cable? I should trust you Matt but just asking anyway - how much does the cable go for?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #16,461 of 29,017
  You guys are really making me consider the Draug 2. So is Draug 2 the best Norne cable for HD800? I went to the site and saw a few models but didn't really know which ones would be suitable for HD800 or what the differences exactly are and what they mean.

It is a great cable....I have not stop listening since I got mine , about a week ago.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #16,462 of 29,017
is it really a noticeable difference from the stock cable? I should trust you Matt but just asking anyway - how much does the cable go for?

Since this is all subjective, I can only relate my experience.

The magnitude of changes to any of the top headphones to me can be described as small but audible. I have yet to hear a huge improvement with cables.

The biggest change for me is with the Anaxilus modification which takes a lot of the HD800 tendencies for sibilants and brightness in the treble away.

The second largest change is with the choice of DAC and amp.

The smallest but still audible change is with the cable.

My experience is with the Toxic Cables products. I tried the most transparent cable available at the time, the Silver Widow (OCC pure silver + gold + cryogenic) and the result was in the wrong direction. I found the match for the HD800 with the Copper Venom (OCC copper, big gauge, cryogenic) with a fuller bass and smoother albeit ever so slightly less detailed treble. The failed combinations--and ther were many more than I discussed--convinced me it was not a placebo effect. Good cables will go for $250 to $500 depending on length and connectors.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #16,463 of 29,017
Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't have to make a huge leap of faith as I used to own a Norse Audio cable for Audeze's before. So this will be the last time I will ask about Draug 2

1) How long is the wait time?

2) How does the sound signature compare to the stock HD800 cable?

3) Lightweight enough so it doesn't feel it's tugging down?

I think I am going for a 6 foot cable.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #16,465 of 29,017
  Why don't you check here :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/606500/norne-audio-was-norse-audio-feedback-impression-thread

and ask Trevor directly, specificly on the wait time
wink.gif

Thanks for the link!

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #16,466 of 29,017

Unquestionably better than the stock cable IMHO. I first tried this cable at a meet with another members hd800. Then I bought one for myself. The cable is not microphonic or heavy, but is light and mostly flexible. It is rather thick but has to be because of the construction and type. I feel the price is quite reasonable for the performance and build quality. I feel that some cable companies have gone completely insane and are asking ludicrous pricing for cables. But hey, if you can get somebody to pay for then....

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #16,467 of 29,017
Since this is all subjective, I can only relate my experience.

The magnitude of changes to any of the top headphones to me can be described as small but audible. I have yet to hear a huge improvement with cables.

The biggest change for me is with the Anaxilus modification which takes a lot of the HD800 tendencies for sibilants and brightness in the treble away.

The second largest change is with the choice of DAC and amp.

The smallest but still audible change is with the cable.

My experience is with the Toxic Cables products. I tried the most transparent cable available at the time, the Silver Widow (OCC pure copper + gold + cryogenic) and the result was in the wrong direction. I found the match for the HD800 with the Copper Venom (OCC copper, big gauge, cryogenic) with a fuller bass and smoother albeit ever so slightly less detailed treble. The failed combinations--and ther were many more than I discussed--convinced me it was not a placebo effect. Good cables will go for $250 to $500 depending on length and connectors.

The Anaxilus mod definitely makes the most different compare to cable from my own personal experience.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #16,469 of 29,017
The Draug2 is a nice upgrade over stock but I can't claim that I have had multiple cables for comparison.
Norne had samples at the last meet and Matt was kind enough to help me with the re-cable.
Thank you Matt and hope to see you at the next meet 
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #16,470 of 29,017
For aftermarket cables for the HD800, I have the Draug v2 terminating in 4-pin XLR with 6.35mm adaptor - which I bought - and APureSound v3 cable terminating in 6.35mm - which I received for free as part of the HD800 promo I got. As far as I know, the former is pure copper while the latter is silver plated copper. I only bought the former as I intend to get a balanced amp in the future and the latter wasn't XLR.

I can only tell the difference between them on some of the more "loud" tracks I have - in that scenario, the Draug v2 comes across as slightly less strident than the latter. I must confess that I cannot discern any significant bass differences. Overall, I consider both to suit my tastes better than the stock HD800 cable on my current audio stack. 

Let me just state that I am still amused I can hear the difference between cables, even when all existing measurements and theory indicate there shouldn't be any. Before committing to a massive purchase, I would advise people to audition an aftermarket cable with the existing stock HD800 cable. If you can't hear any difference, there's no point to purchasing one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back