The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #16,201 of 28,989
Should have my Draug 2 for my HD800 , next week.

Can't wait to give it a listen.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #16,203 of 28,989
  Perljam50000,

Sorry I just saw the (not-at-all stupid) question and may be too late to help.

Yes, absolutely, you can use a sub with the HD800.  You sit on say a 12-inch sub and let the bass reverberate from your butt to your stomach, and up toward your head.

Now, if you actually meant a sandwich like a 12-inch sub from Subway, then I strongly recommend that you reverse the direction.   

Must be Friday. TGIF  
biggrin.gif

FWIW and on a related note I believe the Sub of the day is Tuna.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #16,205 of 28,989
When i did read is overpriced, i told for my self ok ... until i read "VMODA is better than this", what is wrong with people ? http://imageshack.com/a/img540/4154/CHtGL1.jpg

^
I personally prefer HE-500's bass over HD800's.  Overall, HE500 offers a different sound signature.  
There're not many headphones that could technically compare with HD800 but when it comes to personal preference and listening taste, HD800 might not be everyone's cup of tea.

If you read a thread called "Battle of Flagships 58+ headphones review" David Mahller the autor of dat thread, he say that the HD800 headphones is "King of Neutrality" cuz the HD800 change radically the sound signature depending of the amplifier.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #16,206 of 28,989
Am I the only one that found HD800's sound resemble to Grado?   Their brightness,the tight and punchy bass,the speed and attack.   The main difference is probably in the mids, they are not as farward as the Grado mids,and the bass is probably more stable and balanced.
leaving soundstage and imaging aside ofcourse.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #16,210 of 28,989
I think the Speakers vs headphone debate is a nonsense. Let's keep the thread away from this nonsense please :wink:

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #16,211 of 28,989
That guy was talking about the 009 being as good as 50k$ speakers, so I was wondering the same about the HD800.
BTW I don't think any Grado model touches the the HD800, but I haven't heard the PS1000 so I may be wrong.

There are qualities inherent to hp-s that speakers can't do and vice versa. Like phase coherency is better with hp-s because of their single driver. Where as single driver speakers never cover full freq range adequately. Speakers offer real soundstage unlike hp-s, which do headstage. And the fr problems in HD800 are mainly caused by the transducer being too close to the ear as is the case with all hp-s.

Can't put a price tag to taste. Some people just like hp-s better than speakers. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #16,212 of 28,989
  Am I the only one that found HD800's sound resemble to Grado? 

I think you might be the only one.

I've owned the SR325 and all the models bellow and I don't think they sound very similar to the HD800.  Perhaps the higher Grados do???

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #16,214 of 28,989
I owe all of you an apology. 

A couple of months ago I came in here to give my opinion on the HD800's and it was met with ill-concealed hatred and ultimately my comments being deleted.

The first part of my review was mostly praising them, for their soundstage/imaging, and how amazing they were with classical music. The second part consisted of me basically s****** all over them; their inability to sound good with any other genre, and their tendency to spotlight treble and sibilance.

Over the last few months I have bought the 650's, and sold my Grado ps500's in exchange for the HD700's. I've spent the last 2 weeks getting used to 700's' spiky treble response and (imo) amazing bass, imaging and soundstage. They have become to most exciting headphone I have ever owned and used. I look forward to using them everyday. A feeling I have never had with any kind of audio or entertainment equipment.

Today I went to audition the HD800's (for a third time). 

I wen't - macbook, hd700's and o2 in hand - armed with over a hundred of the highest quality audio files I could download. Binaural, orchestral, acoustic, EDM, rock, classical, pop. You name it, I had it.

After the first two auditions of the HD800 I left the shop thinking  ''wow, they are amazing - but are way too bright for me, and ps500's are half the price!''

I was wrong.

I was so wrong it makes me sick. (Intentional dramatics).

I could continue writing about my experience but I won't. You all own a pair of these so you know (on any given day) what these sound like, and how good they are.

It took me 3 auditions to finally get the HD700's. It won't take me 4 to get the HD800's.

I 've read many times how headphones should NEVER be judged on one listen, and how placebo and psychosomatics can play a huge part in audio. This is something I should have paid attention to - and thats to my shame.

I want to apologise to all those I lashed out at and all of the ignorant statements I made. I don't think I was rude. I don't think anybody matched my arguments very well, and I don't think my opinion was given much respect, especially my thoughts getting deleted by admins. (You'd think they'd be made of sterner stuff).

But that means nothing now.. Because, at the very heart of it, I was wrong.

So, fellow HD800 owners -

(please quote - or do whatever you have to do to this comment so others see it please)

Regards,

Lee.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #16,215 of 28,989
I am giving the HD800's a workout with the new Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson. What a great combination!

Cables are the new Toxic Cables 22ga Silver Widows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back