The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #9,077 of 29,013
I would start off with tonal balance the lows were clean and power full
The mids where as real as it can be. And I am the first to say
Most insrtumints as good as they sound are not real
The highs have clarity , energy , and staging
The overall presentation is just powerfull enough but still has all the delegate details
That makes the music just have more pleasure
Now this is with ther DAC and flac files down sampled
To 24/96 and using my 3 k offramp.
Now without the offramp it has all the same but the level of details gets a little smeared above the mids into treble
But that is the DAC. Now with my msb DAC
Is all of the above but several levels above it all
The layers and separation is better than being there

Ok start bashing NOW !!!

Al

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #9,078 of 29,013
Another great advantage of the HDVd amps is that they were designed by the same engineer at Sennheiser who designed and voiced the HD800. I'm sure there are other very good amps out there that would play nice with the hd800, but with these amps all the guess work is done.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9,079 of 29,013
With that logic, Stax amps should be the best for Stax headphones.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #9,080 of 29,013
I have a theory on that too. Why are we lead to beleave that anyway. Was the ledgendary HE90 paired with the HEV90 bad. ?
So with that in mind a company like sennheiser who has more testing experience then anyone in the world with headphones and mics fail so miserable .
The answer is they dident we failed to really know just what the gear is to sound like. . We are made to beleave it needs colorations that other amps give it.
I own the HE60 HEV 60 combo. It has a beefed up PSU . The amp is as good as my 6k woo Wes and my BHSE . In fact the only reason i do not use it is it does not play all my music loud enough for my desires. It sis clear and detailed in a way that best suites the headphones . Now this is all conjecture as it is my opinion.

Al

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #9,081 of 29,013
What I've read is that the HEV90 sounds good but other amps do it better. The HEV60 on the other hand I've read is woefully underpowered. Another company to think about is Beyerdynamic and their amps which I've read are not very good. The Kingsound amps are also said to be poorly designed while their headphones are not great but not bad.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #9,082 of 29,013
Not arguing. I do not know about Beyer amps or headphones . The ones I did hear I just did not like. But that means nothing it's my opinion. Now the HEV60 is under powered
But not bad sounding. But if you read reviews they claim it is bad sounding
Al

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9,083 of 29,013

I'm talking about the screen section nearest to the 'R'. The unevenness doesn't show well on the photo which may explain why I've never seen it before on an HD800 as all I've ever seen is photos(!), but that section is quite uneven (wrinkly) looking in real life. As I say, it's the same on the other side so I can except it, but it's just not what I expected which was cosmetic perfection! Are they all like this?

After checking mine at home, it looks very similar to yours but I see no issue with them. I am not going to sweat it really.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #9,085 of 29,013
I have a theory on that too. Why are we lead to beleave that anyway. Was the ledgendary HE90 paired with the HEV90 bad. ?
So with that in mind a company like sennheiser who has more testing experience then anyone in the world with headphones and mics fail so miserable .
The answer is they dident we failed to really know just what the gear is to sound like. . We are made to beleave it needs colorations that other amps give it.
I own the HE60 HEV 60 combo. It has a beefed up PSU . The amp is as good as my 6k woo Wes and my BHSE . In fact the only reason i do not use it is it does not play all my music loud enough for my desires. It sis clear and detailed in a way that best suites the headphones . Now this is all conjecture as it is my opinion.

Al

Do you think that in the case of the HDVD800 they might have sacrificed a small portion of sound quality to make the amp more affordable? I dont know if this is actually the case or not. I heard the amp for a few hours and i do think it sounds good although at the time i proffered my setup. I wonder if it is actually as good as the best solid state amps available - like the GSXMK2? 

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #9,086 of 29,013
From a cost standpoint, bear in mind that the gsx is just a very nicely executed balanced dynalo (an affordable open source design by Dr. Gilmore, dating back to 2001).  Dynahi is actually the high end, hotrodded version of that amp.  

http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #9,087 of 29,013
The Dynahi, though, is basically unnecessary for headphones.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #9,089 of 29,013
Wow, all the talk about wavy screens got me to run and look at mine, 20xxx no wave.  But it also made me think, if you are this picky about the little wave
blink.gif
, just wait till the finger prints show up in the screen, that that probably drive you nuts... 
tongue_smile.gif
  No matter how careful you are, they will show up, greasy oily dirty finger prints in your screen...
evil_smiley.gif
 And then it gets worse, HOW DO YOU CLEAN THEM???  You will cause a wave if you touch them with a cotton swab or a lint free rag.  oh, the conundrum!!!
biggrin.gif

OCD powers activate!!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #9,090 of 29,013
I am sure it had cost prohibits. Just look at the dac inside. They put all the money on the amp.
And I am not saying it's the best. But I am also saying there is no better just different and what I like compared to you.

Now if I add a AP1/PP at about 1400. Or so the dac is much better. So yes that Amp is way better. But to get back to the topic. We always want better than what a company has spent years in making LOL.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back