The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #8,402 of 28,989
Now that is a tough call. As I had the M8. Well. If I did not have either and given the M8 or 9 drives the HE6 well too and is areal preamp. Then the M9 is what I would.do. It's the complete versatility that drives this decision . But if it is the best for the headphones. Then the hdvd800 or 600. As the level of details is increased with the hd800 and any other headphones used. You must remember kingwa ,s amps are on the warm side of neutral and not the most revealing.

Al

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #8,403 of 28,989
Now that is a tough call. As I had the M8. Well. If I did not have either and given the M8 or 9 drives the HE6 well too and is areal preamp. Then the M9 is what I would.do. It's the complete versatility that drives this decision . But if it is the best for the headphones. Then the hdvd800 or 600. As the level of details is increased with the hd800 and any other headphones used. You must remember kingwa ,s amps are on the warm side of neutral and not the most revealing.

Ald

I was looking for THIS. . I already have the Master 1 preamp & do not need a pre amp. Also I have a very good Tube Speaker amp lying unused, just waiting for me to buy HE 6
biggrin.gif

Thanks AL.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #8,404 of 28,989
  It went down to $889 @ Amazon (authorized dealer) a few months ago. Kicked myself that i missed that one.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6574184-sennheiser-hd800-only-889-free-shipping-sold-by-amazon-com-not-third-party

Tempting........

There is an astonishing long list of NON authorized sellers of the HD800 on the Sennheiser website. ( I saw that this was a few month ago...)
Not that anyone expects this headphone to fail within the 2 year warranty period but if a deal sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.
I haven't come across anything fishy on Amazon though and the return policy works great in case you are not satisfied.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #8,405 of 28,989
Does anyone here listen to their HD-800's while laying down with your head on a pillow of some sort?

Based on photos of the headphones, the cables exit the earcaps somewhat to the rear of the "headband centerline", and I figure this might indicate that there would be "clearance problems" with the cables?

There are a few reasons for my asking:
* It's not *just* that I'm lazy and thus prefer a horizontal position :rolleyes: but more a question of some (hopefully semi-temporary) health issues making me tired and a bit weak.
* The closest store that has the HD-800 up for testing is a bit of a drive away, so if the consensus is that the HD-800 is unusable while laying down, I will probably not even try them.
* My current over-ear headphones (HD-540's) work well enough with a suitably folded pillow, but the cable exit points are "centered" to the headband on those.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Patrik

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #8,406 of 28,989
Does anyone here listen to their HD-800's while laying down with your head on a pillow of some sort?

Based on photos of the headphones, the cables exit the earcaps somewhat to the rear of the "headband centerline", and I figure this might indicate that there would be "clearance problems" with the cables?

* It's not *just* that I'm lazy and thus prefer a horizontal position
rolleyes.gif
but more a question of some (hopefully semi-temporary) health issues making me tired and a bit weak.

* The closest store that has the HD-800 up for testing is a bit of a drive away, so if the consensus is that the HD-800 is unusable while laying down, I will probably not even try them.

* My current over-ear headphones (HD-540's) work well enough with a suitably folded pillow, but the cable exit points are "centered" to the headband on those.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Patrik

I usually just listen to them sitting in the lotus position w/ palms facing up. :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,407 of 28,989

* It's not *just* that I'm lazy and thus prefer a horizontal position :rolleyes: but more a question of some (hopefully semi-temporary) health issues making me tired and a bit weak.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Patrik

I do and it works fine. It doesn't point downwards even if it's positioned low so it didn't get in the way or is bent by the pillow in any way. My only qualm when using when lying down is the clamping force it not enough to keep the cups from drooping down to bed level. Had this problem with pretty much every other headphone as well though because I don't like a lot of clamping force on my headphones. It's because you don't get to rely on gravity to keep the headband sitting on top your head when lying down. I think shortening the headband would keep it in place but I'm to lazy to adjust back and forth between sitting up and lying down.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #8,408 of 28,989

Thank you!

Best regards,
Patrik

You could just put a narrow pillow behind your head so that it does not touch the headphones.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,409 of 28,989
You could just put a narrow pillow behind your head so that it does not touch the headphones.

I lay on my wife's lap.  Nothing beats that. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #8,412 of 28,989

Lying on your girlfriend's lap beats that.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Just a joke. I don't know if koiloco actually has a girlfriend/mistress on the side. So if you're his wife, nothing to see here.

OMG, you are so bad but so right.  The only problem is that I won't lay still to enjoy the music cuz I wanna something else ....

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #8,413 of 28,989

* It's not *just* that I'm lazy and thus prefer a horizontal position
rolleyes.gif
but more a question of some (hopefully semi-temporary) health issues making me tired and a bit weak.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Patrik

i lie down on pillows and listen, its no problem at all. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #8,415 of 28,989
Originally Posted by koiloco:
 "I lay on my wife's lap.  Nothing beats that. "

Originally Posted by Sonido:
"Lying on your girlfriend's lap beats that."

I prefer my ex girlfriends lap...

...ex girlfriend, currently wife... Decided to marry the one I felt was a keeper (and amazingly enough she agreed to it...)...

On topic:
Thank you everyone who replied - I guess I need to listen to the HD-800's.
I recently decided to benchmark my old (have had them since 1991) HD-540's against the current competition, and so far I've tried what is available "close to home", meaning the Hifiman HE-300 and HE-400, none of which would fit me well enough to be even remotely comdortable, and to me sounded "OK" but nothing more, and the Beyer T90 and T1.
The Beyers were almost as comfortable as my HD-540's, and the T1 sounded perhaps a tad better, but not enough to warrant upgrading. The T90 treble spike was unpleasant on some music material.
So I guess the remaining competition is the HD-800...

Best regards,
Patrik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back