The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #6,766 of 28,989

the pair for 779 right now looks good 
biggrin.gif

i did end up buying a spare. so i don't have a pair, but 2 singles, a black plate and an older grey plate. the grey plates are especially nice but i think they kinda sound the same.

that's just too much money. There is no way it could sound good enough to be worth while. Its like the difference between a WA22 and a Stratus. I would prefer to get a new amp or headphone for the money. 

799 dollars - come on man. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #6,767 of 28,989

From the website it seems they have only one model for balance headphones:
HPA-PRO 6BX7 店頭視聴できます バランス型ヘッドフォン対応 完全バランスアンプ デジタル入力のみです
... and this model only accepts digital input, which means you won't be able to use your dac with it = =

Thanks for your help kn19h7!
It's very tempting. No worries as my DAC has 2 digital outs so the setup won't inconvenience my setup too much.
I'd be able to switch amps from the remote control of my DAC.
Perhaps after a while, my stand alone DAC may not be required anymore :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #6,768 of 28,989
  He has several models, including a balanced version with XLR jacks. I believe every amp he makes includes the same 24/192 DAC which is in mine.  It`s great, and has optical, coaxial and USB inputs.  Of course there are also RCA analogue inputs, if you want to use your own DAC. I sometimes use my TEAC DAC this way.  Also, the amps have speaker terminals, and my new Q-Acoustics 2020i stand mounters sound decent in my small Tokyo apartment.  

EDIT:  I didn`t see kn19h7`s post above; I didn`t realize the balanced version is digital-in only and that is clearly what the above Japanese text says.  

I've sent an email in English to Mr Ishii of Andix and hope that I am able to ask a few questions and request for a few pictures of the HPA Pro 6BX7 before committing to it.
I don't even know the price at this stage.

I've also contacted my friend in Tokyo and if all goes well, he will swing by Andix to pick up the amp and come back with it to Singapore by end Jan 2014!!
Fingers crossed!

Would you have any recommendations on the tubes to use? Or do you think I should stick to the stock tubes from Dr Ishii? Thanks again Dopaminer.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #6,769 of 28,989
I got my HD800's today. I started off with Global Communications 76:14 to see just what had been raved about in a review I read. I can certainly see why, the layering is out of the world with these, the sounds appear and disappear almost ethereally. I then went onto Alice in Chains unplugged, the crowd gained a new level or surreal over any of my current phones. Most impressive was the separation of the different drum and bass work in the songs. I'm now listening to the Skyrim Soundtrack 2 CD's out of 4 down, the air fantastic on the HD800, the tracks from battle themes and such make me feel like i'm at the Cinema with the surround speakers, but at far higher fidelity.

I'll be checking out the Chesky Binaurals that come with the Fiio X3 tomorrow and some rock recordings like Animals, In the Court of the Crimson King and maybe Opeth's Heritage.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #6,770 of 28,989
  I got my HD800's today. I started off with Global Communications 76:14 to see just what had been raved about in a review I read. I can certainly see why, the layering is out of the world with these, the sounds appear and disappear almost ethereally. I then went onto Alice in Chains unplugged, the crowd gained a new level or surreal over any of my current phones. Most impressive was the separation of the different drum and bass work in the songs. I'm now listening to the Skyrim Soundtrack 2 CD's out of 4 down, the air fantastic on the HD800, the tracks from battle themes and such make me feel like i'm at the Cinema with the surround speakers, but at far higher fidelity.

I'll be checking out the Chesky Binaurals that come with the Fiio X3 tomorrow and some rock recordings like Animals, In the Court of the Crimson King and maybe Opeth's Heritage.

beerchug.gif
............. im still burning mine in, 57 hours. enjoy

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #6,771 of 28,989

Alice in Chains Unplugged is awesome with the HD800's. Nice choice!

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #6,772 of 28,989
It's finally easy to be impressed by HD800 the first time but It's a bit harder to live with it week after week . It definitely needs a well choosen upstream gear . Not necessrarily expensive gear but well choosen.  I purchased a HEGEL HD10 DAC a month ago. Very good DAC, neutral , accurate , not too analytical but .. HD800 hates this dac and  Music enjoyement became a nightmare .  I've a loaned Rega DAC right now and pleasure is back. Subtle differences indeed but these subtle differences can transform dream into nightmare with HD800.

The HD800 is really a very special thing.  OK I admit I beat a dead horse
redface.gif
 but now I can talk about my own experience.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #6,773 of 28,989
the rega dac is a warm and musical sounding dac, maybe not as resolving as a more neutral and accurate dac, but it is pretty good

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #6,774 of 28,989
  the rega dac is a warm and musical sounding dac, maybe not as resolving as a more neutral and accurate dac, but it is pretty good

I agree. I like it's sound. I spent many hours with it and my Cary. Too bad you need other parts for 24/192 and it is not DSD capable.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #6,775 of 28,989
Fortunately, I exchanged my Hegel against the Rega with my friend this afternoon.  
biggrin.gif

Happy end ! 

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6,776 of 28,989
  Fortunately, I exchanged my Hegel against the Rega with my friend this afternoon.  
biggrin.gif

Happy end ! 

Good call! 

I'd love to try a Rega. My favorite Dac with the Senn's is my old Black Box (1989) with TDA1541A chip. Musical and organic. Refined! Not analyltical or as focused as the new guys... But do we really want the HD800's to sound any sharper? 

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #6,777 of 28,989

Alice in Chains Unplugged is awesome with the HD800's. Nice choice!

A big +2! Awesome album on the HD800s...

Dale

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #6,779 of 28,989
Posted a DAC question on the Schiit Vali thread.  Actually, the Rega is on my list of DAC's along with the new Arcam irDAC and Bifrost uber.  Since I already had the Bifrost, I'm leaning towards the Rega or Arcam.

On another note, just got my Schiit Vali and am breaking it in with the WA7 DAC as the source and HD800.  It sounds really, really nice. Fun, musical and compelling are descriptors come to mind.  The Vali may just be the entry level amp (along with a decent DAC) for the HD800.  Really enjoying it. So.. you don't need a mulit $K setup to enjoy the HD800.  

Quote:
  I love my Rega, I got accustomed to the sound and enjoy it more then my Benchmark or my Bifrost Uber, it is very warm and musical.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #6,780 of 28,989
@MickeyVee The Rega has a smooth warm sound as compared to my Benchmark, the Benchmark DAC2 is much more detailed and analytical though.  Rega>Fosgate Signature>HD800 is just incredible to my ears. I tried to upgrade with the Benchmark, but I really think the Rega is just more the sound signature I seek with the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back