The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #9,211 of 29,017

I should get the chance to hear the GS-X at the Charlotte meet next month since HeadAmp is a vendor there. Will be curious to see how it compares to my Questyle with my HD800. Someone in the other thread said they like the Questyle over the GS-X. Honestly that wouldn't surprise me since they built the CMA800R with one purpose in mind, to sound amazing with the HD800. Then again, I think that was the same purpose Sennheiser had for the HDVA600/HDVD800, and it's reception has been lukewarm.

If your talking about this amp:  http://www.amazon.com/Questyle-CMA800R-Current-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00GM7F8E8  I got an od chance to hear it a week or so ago.  On a pure humble as I never really knew anything about the amp.  

In short.  It rocks with the HE-500s / not so much with the HD800s IMO.  Although it did sound pretty good, It lacks the transparency and the full bottom end of the GS-X mk2.  I still have not heard any of the Sennheiser amps so I can't make any comments.  

The GS-X mk2 is still the best SS amp I've heard with the HD800.

In order of preference and IMO..

GS-X mk2 / F1J
BHA-1
4 Channel Beta 22
GS-1
Mojo
I would rank that CMA800R somewhere with my M^3

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #9,212 of 29,017
  If your talking about this amp:  http://www.amazon.com/Questyle-CMA800R-Current-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00GM7F8E8  I got an od chance to hear it a week or so ago.  On a pure humble as I never really knew anything about the amp.  

In short.  It rocks with the HE-500s / not so much with the HD800s IMO.  Although it did sound pretty good, It lacks the transparency and the full bottom end of the GS-X mk2.  I still have not heard any of the Sennheiser amps so I can't make any comments.  

GS-X mk2 / F1J
BHA-1
4 Channel Beta 22
GS-1
Mojo

Interesting. I tried it with the HE-500 as well, and it found it bright and pretty much agree with dleblanc343's assessment on the pairing. I do agree the the pairing with the HD800 doesn't have that sense of bass impact or tactility I get from my HD800 when paired with my Bottlehead Quickie + Crack, and far from what you get with the HE-500 driven by a speaker amp like the Emotiva miniX. Nor does the Questyle give that electrostatic airy treble I've heard with the ESP950. I'd say even the Vali gives some brief glimpses of that airy treble with the HD800. However, what won me over the Questyle and HD800 was the ultra smoothness and intimacy. No sense of harshness at all. Those so-called treble problems and sibilance are pretty much non-existent.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #9,213 of 29,017
Yeah and for me the overly smooth character of that amp was a bit to much for me.  I didn't get any of the high frequency extension and dynamic punch I like on the GS-X mk2 / HD800 combo.  It seemed to blunt some of the attacks like the B22.  Also I wouldn't call the mids recessed at all on that amp, just a bit lean compared to the GS-X mk2. 

The soundstage was a little narrow compare to the GS-X mk2.  Not by much, and the Depth was a bit shallow in comparisons - again, not by much.  All in all it's a solid amp, but IMO not in the same class as the GS-X mk2..

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #9,214 of 29,017
  Yeah and for me the overly smooth character of that amp was a bit to much for me.  I didn't get any of the high frequency extension and dynamic punch I like on the GS-X mk2 / HD800 combo.  It seemed to blunt some of the attacks like the B22.  Also I wouldn't call the mids recessed at all on that amp, just a bit lean compared to the GS-X mk2. 

The soundstage was a little narrow compare to the GS-X mk2.  Not by much, and the Depth was a bit shallow in comparisons - again, not by much.  All in all it's a solid amp, but IMO not in the same class as the GS-X mk2..

Ah that explains it. I like the smoothness, but that's a subjective thing. I still remember my first immediate impression when I heard the HD800 through the Questyle, and it was the intimacy and smoothness of the vocals, something I've never heard before. Only after that did the improvements in details hit me. Once again I haven't heard the GS-X, so I can't compare. I'll get to next month, and it's likely I would like the pairing with the HD800 as well.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #9,215 of 29,017
Ah that explains it. I like the smoothness, but that's a subjective thing. I still remember my first immediate impression when I heard the HD800 through the Questyle, and it was the intimacy and smoothness of the vocals, something I've never heard before. Only after that did the improvements in details hit me. Once again I haven't heard the GS-X, so I can't compare. I'll get to next month, and it's likely I would like the pairing with the HD800 as well.

With preproman, there is the first negative comment around the Questyle with the HD800. It's a very sad moment for me :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #9,216 of 29,017
With preproman, there is the first negative comment around the Questyle with the HD800. It's a very sad moment for me
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I'm waiting on dleblanc343's take on this amp paired with HD800 sometime today hopefully. I know there were 40-50 units sold from a certain website that sells audiophile gear, and most people there know about head-fi. So far not a single for sale listing on the trade forums here FWIW. There's also the Questyle Q192 amp/DAC combo that sells for $650, and it uses the same current amplification technology. Some people who has heard both the Q192 and the CMA800R say the Q192 is the baby CMA800R and performs quite well with the HD800 as well. Perhaps a cheaper option for some.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #9,217 of 29,017
Keep this in mind as we do argue with each other on smAll details and other issues . But overall I a have come to trust many people here and and there views. I never mean to be an end all guy , but I know I do come across as one at times . But I still value the ones I trust . And the one you mentioned is one of them. Also I think the majority of people who buy amps really do not know just what the full potential of the headphones they just bought. And this is greatly Amplified with a world class headphone lie a HD800 or HE 6. These headphones are capable of fantastic realism when given the fight combinations.

Maybe I am just added to the mystery but that is just my intention read and rad and read . And listen while you do as this is how we learn .

Al

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #9,218 of 29,017
With preproman, there is the first negative comment around the Questyle with the HD800. It's a very sad moment for me
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I would not take a single negative comment about the CMA800R to heart too strongly, especially in view of the generally very positive comments about this amp that have appeared to date.  Everyone is entitled their opinion, of course, but as a previous owner of a GS-X (MkI version), I would argue that the overall sound signature of both amps is likely to be much closer than further apart.  I'm not saying they are identical in SQ but I would be hesitant to say one is necessarily better.  I have listened carefully to a very wide range of music and source types including hi-res PCM and DSD (using an Invicta dac) with my own CMA800R and have not heard any of the apparent "deficiencies" described in comparison with the GS-X (narrower and less deep soundstage, less bass punch, less transparency, too smooth, etc).  Other variables that could determine perceived differences also need to be considered as well -- for example is the GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode being compared to a the Questyle in single ended mode?   Some people feel that balanced slightly improves sound staging and bass response in the HD800s.  The bottom line is that we all need to remember that it is good to have a variety of different opinions, both positive and negative -- if everyone actually thought a particularly amp, dac, etc were absolutely perfect, I would be a little suspicious myself.   

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #9,219 of 29,017
I would not take a single negative comment about the CMA800R to heart too strongly, especially in view of the generally very positive comments about this amp that have appeared to date.  Everyone is entitled their opinion, of course, but as a previous owner of a GS-X (MkI version), I would argue that the overall sound signature of both amps is likely to be much closer than further apart.  I'm not saying they are identical in SQ but I would be hesitant to say one is necessarily better.  I have listened carefully to a very wide range of music and source types including hi-res PCM and DSD (using an Invicta dac) with my own CMA800R and have not heard any of the apparent "deficiencies" described in comparison with the GS-X (narrower and less deep soundstage, less bass punch, less transparency, too smooth, etc).  Other variables that could determine perceived differences also need to be considered as well -- for example is the GS-X Mk2 in balanced mode being compared to a the Questyle in single ended mode?   Some people feel that balanced slightly improves sound staging and bass response in the HD800s.  The bottom line is that we all need to remember that it is good to have a variety of different opinions, both positive and negative -- if everyone actually thought a particularly amp, dac, etc were absolutely perfect, I would be a little suspicious myself.   

GS-X mk2 / F1J
BHA-1
4 Channel Beta 22
GS-1
Mojo

Was the HD800 connected to the HeadAmp Gs-x in balanced mode?

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #9,220 of 29,017
Was the HD800 connected to the HeadAmp Gs-x in balanced mode?

Referring to my own experience with the Mk1 version -- yes I did use my HD800s in balanced mode, but not the Questyle (I only have one).  If my auditory memory serves me correctly, I would say both amps are nearly equivalent, with perhaps my own preference leaning toward the Questyle.  Incidentally both amps were paired with my Invicta dac. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #9,222 of 29,017
  Referring to my own experience with the Mk1 version -- yes I did use my HD800s in balanced mode, but not the Questyle (I only have one).  If my auditory memory serves me correctly, I would say both amps are nearly equivalent, with perhaps my own preference leaning toward the Questyle.  Incidentally both amps were paired with my Invicta dac. 

Just want to point out that the GS-X mk1 and mk2 are quite a bit different in SQ. There is no comparison, the mk2 is a much better amp IMO.

OOOOOOHHHHH ok, now it makes sense. While it's quite obvious that the MKII (4000$) can be slightly better of the CMA800R (1500$), it's pretty interesting to say that the Questyle can compete head on with much expensive amplifiers like the GS-X MKI, also considering that the HeadAmp was used in balanced mode. At this point i have to think that the CMA800R can be THE end-game solution for HD800 under 2 - 2.5k$.

Am i wrong?

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #9,223 of 29,017

OOOOOOHHHHH ok, now it makes sense. While it's quite obvious that the MKII (4000$) can be slightly better of the CMA800R (1500$), it's pretty interesting to say that the Questyle can compete head on with much expensive amplifiers like the GS-X MKI, also considering that the HeadAmp was used in balanced mode. At this point i have to think that the CMA800R can be THE end-game solution for HD800 under 2 - 2.5k$.

Am i wrong?

Very much so, but I'd want to hear the Questyle first before saying it competes. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #9,224 of 29,017

Am i wrong?

Well, except the gs-x mk2 is not $4000..more like $2800-3000

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #9,225 of 29,017

Am i wrong?

mk2 is not 4000 - did they up the price? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back