The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #5,522 of 29,013

What can the WA5-LE give that the WA6-SE and the WA2 couldn't?  And is it that much of an upgrade from your existing amps?

same thing i question about the WA22.

the WA2 with T1 is still my favorite and go-to reference system. i feel the WA6-SE still can be a little lacking in some aspects like tonality, smoothness, black background, etc. the WA2 could use a bit more detail and separation, maybe a little more transparency on both amps. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #5,523 of 29,013

same thing i question about the WA22.

the WA2 with T1 is still my favorite and go-to reference system. i feel the WA6-SE still can be a little lacking in some aspects like tonality, smoothness, black background, etc. the WA2 could use a bit more detail and separation, maybe a little more transparency on both amps. 

I think the WA5 could surprise you, cant wait to hear your impressions of the GSX MK2. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #5,524 of 29,013
I have the exact same bulge, it's bothered me beyond imagination. I assume when you press it, it pops back out?

biggrin.gif

(sorry had to do it)

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #5,525 of 29,013
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5,526 of 29,013
I've just spent the last week listening to nothing but my K701's. 

Now listening to my HD800's. 

It really makes you appreciate how good the Senn's are when you have a break from them for while. 

Does anyone else listen to a lesser headphone for a while in order to really appreciate a better one? 

No? Didn't think so. I'm a freak ha 
size]

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #5,527 of 29,013
I do that all the time. Good to mix it up as the rest of my life is one big routine.

I believe I've read the silver mesh is a very fine metal screen material. You'll notice it changes color from your finger oils. You can also push on it and distort it. But you can also go from the inside and smooth it back out. I've done it a few times.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #5,528 of 29,013
when away from home a couple of weeks to a couple of months, usually with my shure se530 and sony mdr-1r, coming back to my home rig is a very special moment every time
smily_headphones1.gif

however listening to a "lesser" can make me appreciate the lesser can too

cos i enjoy the specificity of every good or enjoyable can, cos sometimes in presence of a "better" can i forget the "lesser" can be equally enjoyable in some aspects

before i got the hd800 i was very curious about the k701, now i'm even more, especially on my rig

is there something that makes you want to listen to the k701 other than just the comeback to hd800 wow awe effect?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #5,529 of 29,013
I do that all the time. Good to mix it up as the rest of my life is one big routine.

I believe I've read the silver mesh is a very fine metal screen material. You'll notice it changes color from your finger oils. You can also push on it and distort it. But you can also go from the inside and smooth it back out. I've done it a few times.

I confuse.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5,530 of 29,013
I was replying to the post above mine.  I mix up my headphone choices.  A week with the HD 600s, then maybe the HD 800s, then maybe the HD 595, then maybe the HD 700s.

Or the other part?  They were talking about the metal mesh having a bulge.  It can be smoothed over so it's not bulging. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,531 of 29,013
I was replying to the post above mine.  I mix up my headphone choices.  A week with the HD 600s, then maybe the HD 800s, then maybe the HD 595, then maybe the HD 700s.

Or the other part?  They were talking about the metal mesh having a bulge.  It can be smoothed over so it's not bulging. 
Ah, got it. It was about the mix up choices in hp.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #5,532 of 29,013

Agreed :) 

is there something that makes you want to listen to the k701 other than just the comeback to hd800 wow awe effect?

I've always enjoyed the AKG's. 

I'll put it into a nutshell..

They are a very good headphone if you have a good source and very powerful amp, as they are one of the most hard to please hp's out there. Also, they do have one inherent problem. Look at any freq chart and they have one of the flattest lines going. This is not good, because our ears don't appreciate certain frequencies- flat or not. The major problem is at the 3-4khz range. Most headphones dip at this range. To anyone who owns these or who has dismissed them after a short period please take heed. A simple equalizing can turn them into a very good hp (especially at the price now- I paid approx $150 for my latest pair)

But you must remove the annoying peak at 4k otherwise they have a tendency to sound plasticky in the upper midrange. Vocals sound unnatural, brass hurts.. Electric guitar sounds really bad.

I use 5 notches (yup that much) down on both 3.5 and 5 khz on foobar equalizer. 

If you already own the HD800's you may well be disappointed with the K's. And so you should!! The Senn's are a better hp in every area. And in my opinion the price reflects this realistically. 

However, I like what the K's do. They offer a drier sound and bigger soundstage (the original ones) that is very good for piano and chamber music. Also great for ambient/electronic with a little extra bass added. 

But as always horses for courses :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5,533 of 29,013
#21302 checking in!

Purchased the HD800 today. Using a Woo WA3 amp. Loving it so far!

Some of my fears were unfounded: the sound I'm getting is full in the bass, and not too sharp in the highs, so far at least. A very refined sound. More rich/less analytic than I was expecting.

By the way, as I listen to mostly orchestral/classical, my trusty back-up when my main cans are not around is the AKG K701, through the powerful Burson HA160 amp.

Also, can anyone recommend how to get the frequency graph on Sennheiser's website? I couldn't find where on the site it was located. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #5,534 of 29,013
  #21302 checking in!

Purchased the HD800 today. Using a Woo WA3 amp. Loving it so far!

Some of my fears were unfounded: the sound I'm getting is full in the bass, and not too sharp in the highs, so far at least. A very refined sound. More rich/less analytic than I was expecting.

By the way, as I listen to mostly orchestral/classical, my trusty back-up when my main cans are not around is the AKG K701, through the powerful Burson HA160 amp.

Also, can anyone recommend how to get the frequency graph on Sennheiser's website? I couldn't find where on the site it was located. Thanks.

Wow that is very close to my S/N, congrats!! Also you can get the FR graph by just registering your headphones on the Sennheiser's website (the graph request is part of the product registration process).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back