The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5,162 of 28,989
GEC 6AS7G and GZ34/596 would fix that 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! How much would those cost me, roughly?

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #5,163 of 28,989
Sadly, those tubes have gotten extremely pricey and are likely to cost more than certain alternative amps you might consider that would have more of the sound signature you're looking for.  For example, there are quite a few of us who very happily drive our hd800's with bh crack + speedball kits - which present a more detailed, dynamic and exciting sound signature with the hd800's than the Woo OTL options in any event.  I owned a WA3 for many years and speak from experience on this point.  

I'm in the process of building bh's signature "mainline" amp right now.  Its a much more complicated build but should be marvelous when I get 'er done. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5,164 of 28,989
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! How much would those cost me, roughly?

GEC 6AS7G is like 200-250+ per tube, u can sometimes find cheaper tubes and pairs (i paid $350 for 5 of them cause i got lucky). 

they're very rare and quite hard to find them on sale but they do come up. 

the 596 is like 100-150 for a new tube, but they are hard to come by as well. 
GZ34 metal base is like 300$-800$, generally 350$-400$ would get u a new one, but some people overprice this tube as well..

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5,165 of 28,989
Quote:

GEC 6AS7G is like 200-250+ per tube, u can sometimes find cheaper tubes and pairs (i paid $350 for 5 of them cause i got lucky). 

they're very rare and quite hard to find them on sale but they do come up. 

the 596 is like 100-150 for a new tube, but they are hard to come by as well. 
GZ34 metal base is like 300$-800$, generally 350$-400$ would get u a new one, but some people overprice this tube as well..

damn that's kinda pricey, especially since i just ordered a new amp. thanks though, i'll try them later if i get a chance/more money.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #5,166 of 28,989
Quote:
Sadly, those tubes have gotten extremely pricey and are likely to cost more than certain alternative amps you might consider that would have more of the sound signature you're looking for.  For example, there are quite a few of us who very happily drive our hd800's with bh crack + speedball kits - which present a more detailed, dynamic and exciting sound signature with the hd800's than the Woo OTL options in any event.  I owned a WA3 for many years and speak from experience on this point.  

I'm in the process of building bh's signature "mainline" amp right now.  Its a much more complicated build but should be marvelous when I get 'er done. 

WA2 never lacks details or dynamics, of course, after i maxed out the tubes, if not, then you do lose a bit of transparency and micro- detail.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5,167 of 28,989
Quote:

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of the Mainline amp when you finish it. I personally thought it sounded very SS. Nothing stood out - it's simply transparent.

I am very much enjoying my Crack with no Speedball, no modifications. Just a couple of CBS Hytron black plates...
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,168 of 28,989
Quote:
I am using amperex bugle boys and sovtek power tubes. Anyway I think my search for a SS amp is done as I placed an order for the GS-x mk2. Let the wait begin...

Yeah, those Sovtek's are really holding back your amp! For the WA2 (or WA22) I would strongly recommend a pair of Sylvania (or better still Tung-Sol) 7236s. If you can snag a rare pair of Tung-Sol 5998s, then even better!

The Sovteks really sound pretty poor in my experiences and the power tubes on the WA2 affect the sound the most. But seeing that you've ordered a GS-X MKII, you're all set. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,169 of 28,989
Quote:

Yeah, those Sovtek's are really holding back your amp! For the WA2 (or WA22) I would strongly recommend a pair of Sylvania (or better still Tung-Sol) 7236s. If you can snag a rare pair of Tung-Sol 5998s, then even better!

The Sovteks really sound pretty poor in my experiences and the power tubes on the WA2 affect the sound the most. But seeing that you've ordered a GS-X MKII, you're all set. 

yeah i think i'll leave the tubes as they are now and wait for the gsx to see how that is vs the wa2. then maybe the wa2 will even be on its way out. thx for your help.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #5,170 of 28,989
Quote:
yeah i think i'll leave the tubes as they are now and wait for the gsx to see how that is vs the wa2. then maybe the wa2 will even be on its way out. thx for your help.

No worries. Just thought maybe you'd want to hear the WA22 at its best...and those power tubes I suggested should get you there or close to it. 
size]

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5,171 of 28,989
I'm interested in the GX-MKII again for my HD-800.

How much do they go for nowadays? Both the Dual Rail PSU and Dual Mono's (stack).

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #5,172 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm interested in the GX-MKII again for my HD-800.

How much do they go for nowadays? Both the Dual Rail PSU and Dual Mono's (stack).

The GS-X MKII isn't cheap:

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

But IMO worth the price! I'm done with dynamic amps with it in house. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,174 of 28,989
Quote:

The GS-X MKII isn't cheap:

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm

But IMO worth the price! I'm done with dynamic amps with it in house. 

So 1/4 = 745 (with the DACT) times by four. Around 3000 plus shipping am i correct?

I've had the LCD-3/LCD-2 with the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir but recently sold both Audeze headphones and moved onto the HD-800.
HD-800 have not come yet so i am feeling a little eccentric on whether or not my stack would hold its on (being made with planar magnetic design in mind and all).

Some say that the HD-800 sound better with the BHA-1 due to a little more "sparkle" it produces along with slightly better treble.
I have a modified Gungnir/Mjolnir and it sounds spectacular (better than when i got it stock).

My question is, am i missing that much by not going for the GX-MKII? How much better is it than the Bryston BHA-1/Schiit Stack?
In your opinion of course, if you have heard one of the two.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #5,175 of 28,989
Quote:
So 1/4 = 745 (with the DACT) times by four. Around 3000 plus shipping am i correct?

I've had the LCD-3/LCD-2 with the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir but recently sold both Audeze headphones and moved onto the HD-800.
HD-800 have not come yet so i am feeling a little eccentric on whether or not my stack would hold its on (being made with planar magnetic design in mind and all).

Some say that the HD-800 sound better with the BHA-1 due to a little more "sparkle" it produces along with slightly better treble.
I have a modified Gungnir/Mjolnir and it sounds spectacular (better than when i got it stock).

My question is, am i missing that much by not going for the GX-MKII? How much better is it than the Bryston BHA-1/Schiit Stack?
In your opinion of course, if you have heard one of the two.

For bang for your buck, the Mjolnir is hard to beat. For under $1400, I like the Burson Solosit or BHA-1. But the best I've heard my LCD-3/HD800/TH-900 sound is from the GS-X MKII. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back