The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #391 of 29,017
Quote:
I for one am not convinced that the newer models have more bass. My current #19XXX sounds identical to my previous 15xxx and 17xxx models. But I did finally find a tube for my ZDSE that has great impact-and now fully covers all genres well.
basshead.gif

-Daniel

What is the magic tube?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #392 of 29,017
Quote:
I for one am not convinced that the newer models have more bass. My current #19XXX sounds identical to my previous 15xxx and 17xxx models. But I did finally find a tube for my ZDSE that has great impact-and now fully covers all genres well.
basshead.gif

-Daniel

Oh for crying out loud. There are no trends in differences! I agree with this statement. My pair of 41XX and sound the same as the 20 000 I've heard. Are there some part to part differences? Maybe, but no trend from one sound to another! 

Have a look at the HD800 Measurement thread...its all over the place! Many who sold their HD800s and re-bought them to find better bass had pretty much all had significant upgrades/changes to their rig between owning their first pair and second pair. And now there's a difference? Shocker! 
size]

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #393 of 29,017
I for one am not convinced that the newer models have more bass. My current #19XXX sounds identical to my previous 15xxx and 17xxx models. But I did finally find a tube for my ZDSE that has great impact-and now fully covers all genres well. :basshead:

-Daniel

Mullard ECC35...

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #394 of 29,017
It's actually a current Sophia Electric GR A 6SL7 I got on ebay. I posted the link on the Zana tube rollers thread. Sorry I'm on my phone right now and it's not worth the effort.

Pete-yep I'd probably chalk it up to rig changes and manufacturing vatiation.

Valintin-how does that Mullard sound? Is it a good allrounder? For rock/pop?

-Daniel

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #395 of 29,017
Quote:
Oh for crying out loud. There are no trends in differences! I agree with this statement. My pair of 41XX and sound the same as the 20 000 I've heard. Are there some part to part differences? Maybe, but no trend from one sound to another! 

Have a look at the HD800 Measurement thread...its all over the place! Many who sold their HD800s and re-bought them to find better bass had pretty much all had significant upgrades/changes to their rig between owning their first pair and second pair. And now there's a difference? Shocker! 
size]

You are just jealous because you don't own 21XXX+ version.
tongue.gif

Kidding, of course.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #396 of 29,017
Quote:
You are just jealous because you don't own 21XXX+ version.
tongue.gif

Kidding, of course.
biggrin.gif

Trust me, I'd buy one if there was a difference and sell mine off. I bought the LCD-2.2 when it came out for the improvements. But I hear no changes. Actually I felt that my pair had slightly more bass than the 20XXX I heard. 
size]
 FWIW, purrin too thinks its all silly talk too.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #397 of 29,017
Quote:

Trust me, I'd buy one if there was a difference and sell mine off. I bought the LCD-2.2 when it came out for the improvements. But I hear no changes. Actually I felt that my pair had slightly more bass than the 20XXX I heard. 
size]
 FWIW, purrin too thinks its all silly talk too.

Maybe it is (I haven't heard older HD800 to compare myself)... But why people keep talking about "almost bassless HD800, without impact... lifeless... boring... bright and sharp in treble..."?
confused.gif
I was so confused by that and was thinking about getting LCD-3 instead (even though they cost extremely much in Europe). However, after hearing HD800, I sold my LCD-2 and have zero interest in LCD-3 since HD800 are exactly what I wanted. I can finally focus on upgrading the rest of my chain now...

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #398 of 29,017
Just pulled the trigger on a new HD-800. Won't arrive until probably 3rd or 4th week of March. Meanwhile, I can amp-dream and suffer along with the Stax rig (just kidding--I love my Stax). Sold the LCD-2/R2 yesterday. Thought it was a really fun, dynamic and sweet headphone but hopelessly colored for my preferred classical music. Simply obscured too much fine detail and treble too suppressed. Toyed with the idea of jumping to LCD-3 but  too much uncertainty in threads I followed about the degree of improvement I might find, and I have always wanted an HD-800. The waiting begins. :)

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #399 of 29,017
My older pair was my 4th favorite headphone after the HE-4, LCD-3 and the T1.  Now my new pair comes in 2nd or tied for second with the LCD-3 depending on the track.  I really don't care what Purin says - I can hear the difference in the two pair I've owned.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #400 of 29,017
Quote:
My older pair was my 4th favorite headphone after the HE-4, LCD-3 and the T1.  Now my new pair comes in 2nd or tied for second with the LCD-3 depending on the track.  I really don't care what Purin says - I can hear the difference in the two pair I've owned.

Please let this be true. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #401 of 29,017
Quote:

My pair are either in the 500s or 600s.  It was from the first batch they ever shipped.  THAT's old hat. 
wink.gif

Hey I'm just making sarcastic comments about this arbitrary number where they 'changed' the HD800!

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #402 of 29,017
Quote:

Maybe it is (I haven't heard older HD800 to compare myself)... But why people keep talking about "almost bassless HD800, without impact... lifeless... boring... bright and sharp in treble..."?
confused.gif
I was so confused by that and was thinking about getting LCD-3 instead (even though they cost extremely much in Europe). However, after hearing HD800, I sold my LCD-2 and have zero interest in LCD-3 since HD800 are exactly what I wanted. I can finally focus on upgrading the rest of my chain now...

When that happens, I usually look at their upstream rig (amp, source, dac, etc....). 
size]

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #403 of 29,017
Quote:

confused.gif

Yeah, I remember Tyll of InnerFidelity called the HD800's "soulless" at a meeting at one of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest's (maybe 2011), but then on a video he did talking about the HD800's he highly praised them. The HD800s seem to be very sensitive to the other aspects of the chain. I'll probably look to get a better dynamic amp for my HD800's after I get my SR-009/Blue Hawaii combo later this year, although I do think the DAC-100 sounds very good with the HD800's for what it is.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #404 of 29,017
Naturally the HD800s are some of the most sensitive cans out there in terms of being affected by all aspects of the playback chain (including cable but I promise not to go there.
blink.gif
)
I personally have never had any issue with the HD800's bass response and I'm 10K+.  Nearly every time I have felt un-jazzed about them it ends up having to do with the recording I'm listening to.  Mixers should use them, as they can reveal a poorly recorded bottom end better than any other phone I've heard.  The T-1s and the Hifimen and the Audez'es all compensate a bit on the lower end.  Also, let's keep in mind there is big difference between "full" bass and actual, real bass.  By this I mean that bass can boom and sound like "more" bass when it's really just distortion.  Not unpleasing, but distortion nonetheless.  And intentional sometimes too.  I would go so far as to say that if you want to know how much bass your recordings actually have, you will come closest by using the HD800s.  Same goes for tubes - if you want to determine the tubes that enhance and add to the perceived fullness of the bass in your recordings then use the HD800s - unbelievable the way they respond to this kind of rolling... Speaking of which --

Quote:
Mullard ECC35...

I'm glad you mentioned this - I use this tube on my BA and it is hands down the best driver for both the HD800 and the LCD-3.  That perfect combination of incisive dynamics, detail, and richness of tone.  A perfect complement to the HD800s...

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #405 of 29,017
Quote:

Hey I'm just making sarcastic comments about this arbitrary number where they 'changed' the HD800!

But they never did change them.  There will always be variances between driver pairs.  I bet you could listen to a pair made a year from now and find it to sound quite different from the one you own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back