The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3,272 of 29,013
Some people were saying that it looked like new but the one I ordered looked like it fell off the back of a truck. You might have more luck though.

Thanks. I guess they have a good return policy. Were you able to return yours?

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,273 of 29,013
Quote:

$970USD to get it to the US... pass.

basshead.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,276 of 29,013
Quote:

Tell me more about the Hydra X - I've had my eye on this converter.

It's very good, but very different sounding than my Audiophilleo. Hydra does impressively strong bass, more intimate fuller bodied sound. It's very relaxed and smooth, yet detailed. Nothing I've heard beats the Audiophilleo in terms of pure resolution, soundstage and imaging though.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #3,277 of 29,013
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,279 of 29,013
Guy's I have noticed that on these forums people are skeptical about Burn-in with HD800 but I have to say that I have noticed a considerable difference between the music since I bought the HD800 in April. The sound has opened up considerably to a point where I am finding the experience more like listening to speakers. But initially the sound was more like a typical headphone. Its just become so enjoyable to a point where I dont miss speakers. Now I justify paying £1000 for a pair of headphones.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,280 of 29,013
Now that my HD800s are on the way, I'm wondering about the cable. Should I bother getting an aftermarket cable? If so, which ones are the best bang for the buck?

I read elsewhere that basically with an aftermarket cable you often pay 20%-30% (or more) of the cost of the headphones themselves, yet would only see a maximum of 5% sound quality increase so it may not be worth it. Thoughts?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,281 of 29,013
Quote:
Guy's I have noticed that on these forums people are skeptical about Burn-in with HD800 but I have to say that I have noticed a considerable difference between the music since I bought the HD800 in April. The sound has opened up considerably to a point where I am finding the experience more like listening to speakers. But initially the sound was more like a typical headphone. Its just become so enjoyable to a point where I dont miss speakers. Now I justify paying £1000 for a pair of headphones.

It is hard to say, but I believe that I do concur, with all the usual caveats re audio memory or your mind getting used to the sonic presentation from a can. I think I have had mine 1.5 to 2 years now.

I have heard people say that the treble gets toned down overtime as well. That is something I did not experience, but for me treble was never an issue.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,282 of 29,013
Quote:
Now that my HD800s are on the way, I'm wondering about the cable. Should I bother getting an aftermarket cable? If so, which ones are the best bang for the buck?

I read elsewhere that basically with an aftermarket cable you often pay 20%-30% (or more) of the cost of the headphones themselves, yet would only see a maximum of 5% sound quality increase so it may not be worth it. Thoughts?

imo the stock cable is pretty good, apart from the length is a bit too long for my liking. I would see how you get on with it first. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,283 of 29,013
Quote:

Personnally i just received a Cardas cable only reason i wanted a cable is because the origininal one was to long so i had a 4 foot one made with Connex connectors and Furutect 1/4 inch jack total cot $235.00 ca. Cable is the blue cardas cable now i did not buy it to improve the sound  just to shorten the wire does it sound better i dont think so its not worst than before its as good i think so dont go crazy unless you can listen for yourself and really ear that difference.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,284 of 29,013
It depends on your usage. I have an aftermarket cable to make the cable shorter and to get a 4 pin XLR plug instead. Also the aftermarket cable I have tangles less which was another reason for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back