The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #28,651 of 28,992
The sdr mod is the easiest and most reversible. I recommend it!
Easiest answer is I don't listen to music on my HD 800s (plural like pants! Not S version) that needs any correction. Usually people have more than one set of cans. So use each one where it shines.

The other fix is more expensive but more useful overall- RME DAC with parametric EQ. You don't have to mod your headphones and you can fix any problem worth fixing in a non-invasive way.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #28,652 of 28,992
Easiest answert is I don't listen to music on my HD 800s (plural like pants! Not S version) that needs any correction. Usually people have more than one set of cans. So use each one where it shines.

The other fix is more expensive but more useful overall- RME DAC with parametric EQ. You don't have to mod your headphones and you can fix any problem worth fixing in an non-invasive way.
I have had parametric EQ on the 24459, ended up immediately selling it as soon as I A/B'ed it with my current DAC/AMP which has a remote(this has become a must for me on everyhting except tube amps, also the fact it has a phone app and I can switch it off from the next room since I always forget to turn it of is very nice)
Does the RME DAC have a remote also by chance? I don't like software EQ so one on hardware is the only kind I will use but I am used to the remote and almost a must now!

I also rarely ever use the HD800's for music, it's why I keep my DT1990's around, I use it mainly for actual production reason(don't produce but I manage some people who do, as well as for movie's when want to be able to hear dialogue over natural sound(mostly kdrama's but ananda) or action (LCD-3 for dramatic sound, sometimes DT1990)... still I do use it sometimes for music, but I used to 100% of the time just watch youtube and I can always tell on the HD800 and it sounds icky so if I listen to FLAC it's HD800... I will never sell this headphone which is great because I had to jam a $50 balanced cable into the connectors and I am not looking forward to ever getting it out....lol

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #28,653 of 28,992
I have had parametric EQ on the 24459, ended up immediately selling it as soon as I A/B'ed it with my current DAC/AMP which has a remote(this has become a must for me on everyhting except tube amps, also the fact it has a phone app and I can switch it off from the next room since I always forget to turn it of is very nice)
Does the RME DAC have a remote also by chance?
Yes, it's quite a nice remote and the RME lets you program/customize some of the buttons

I don't like software EQ so one on hardware is the only kind I will use but I am used to the remote and almost a must now!
Well, I'm with you on hardware EQ vs. software EQ but the RME EQ is firmware, so technically it's software, even though it happens in hardware :D

I miss my old SAE parametric EQ box, it's in storage somewhere...

I also rarely ever use the HD800's for music
I didn't mean to say I rarely use them. I meant, I don't punish myself by listening to Joni Mitchell out of a pair of 800s :D

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #28,658 of 28,992
Is it not possible to simulate that with eq settings?
you would need a filter, I have seen amp's with tube filter but they were all cheap, an iFi Pro iCan could do it, one was on sale for $850 here but you missed it, it actually does have tubes tho and allows you to switch between SS to tubes... you could also just get a dark amp, like the HDV 820 but that will cost a pretty penny, so basically it's a computer filter or a whole nother AMP section at least that would preferably match your other AMP and preferably whole DAC/AMP that is smooth...

I just got a gen 1 WA7 and run my Oppo HA-1 DAC or HDV 800's dac thru it, but both those dacs are tuned smooth, it helps a lot though, you can geta gen 1 WA7 for like $400ish on a good day, from what I understand has the same AMP section as the gen 2 and gen 3(except that is balanced) just different DAC's which you can bypass, the 3rd gen is like $1400 and recommended by Abyss for their headphones so you know it's damn good

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #28,659 of 28,992
you would need a filter, I have seen amp's with tube filter but they were all cheap, an iFi Pro iCan could do it, one was on sale for $850 here but you missed it, it actually does have tubes tho and allows you to switch between SS to tubes... you could also just get a dark amp, like the HDV 820 but that will cost a pretty penny, so basically it's a computer filter or a whole nother AMP section at least that would preferably match your other AMP and preferably whole DAC/AMP that is smooth...

I just got a gen 1 WA7 and run my Oppo HA-1 DAC or HDV 800's dac thru it, but both those dacs are tuned smooth, it helps a lot though, you can geta gen 1 WA7 for like $400ish on a good day, from what I understand has the same AMP section as the gen 2 and gen 3(except that is balanced) just different DAC's which you can bypass, the 3rd gen is like $1400 and recommended by Abyss for their headphones so you know it's damn good
Here is also a thread "Senn HD800 Ultimate, "Maxx" Mod" at head-fi.
Is there a way to mod it that way and make the sound more gentle?
Im happy with my dac and amp, but for HD800 it is not working. :frowning2:
Looking for another way to let them shine.
Hope someone can give some advices.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #28,660 of 28,992
Here is also a thread "Senn HD800 Ultimate, "Maxx" Mod" at head-fi.
Is there a way to mod it that way and make the sound more gentle?
Im happy with my dac and amp, but for HD800 it is not working. :frowning2:
Looking for another way to let them shine.

Hope someone can give some advices.
filter.
Multiband compression.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #28,662 of 28,992
Im using filter like oratory1990 or crinacle. Do you know some better filter?
do you mean EQ? The only EQ I can see working is a bump into upper upper bass and lower mids bleeding into mids

lower all treble 2-3 db and hit the spike your headphone has(lookup FR for model and - extra 2-3 db on spike)

Find a multiband compression app that works on audio out, just use google

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #28,665 of 28,992
Think this is discussed several times before here, but only want to give my thoughts...
Tried 2-3 cheap tube amps, tried several EQ settings, hardwired, balanced... but all without success.

Now i tried Can Opener and Sonarworks, both activated in jriver and with my Qudelix 5K portable amp in balanced mode :) I really love it, thats what i was looking for...
Need to enjoy it a few moments more and after that i will send them to Sonarworks for individual measurement, to get the last few percent. :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back