The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #28,486 of 28,989
Tube OTLs are good medicine for Sennheisers.

What do you mean the ADI-2 FS doesn't have USB input?
The RME ADI-2 DAC does possess one USB-B input connector.
Some of the FS models appear to not have a USB input, while the non-FS and the Pro FS do.
Still, I kinda want to have an R2R dac rather than a DS one, not only for my HD800S, but also for my Stax SRM-353X energizer with L700 Mk II earspeakers.
The Denafrips Ares II has NOS and OS modes, with two filters for the OS mode. It's just a matter of finding the best mode for each setup.
The Bifrost doesn't have different modes, for that reason I would much rather go for its bigger brother, the Gungnir MB, just for the HD800S alone.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #28,487 of 28,989
You're making misleading and incorrect statements about the RME DAC.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #28,488 of 28,989
I think he is talking about the RME ADI-2 FS which is an audio interface used in recording, this one does not have a USB. @EJSorona, I think what everyone here is talking about is the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #28,489 of 28,989
The 800/S is very clinical and resolving but the amp has a strong influence on sound quality. I can recommend the RME ADI-2 FS DAC, but you'll need an outboard amp to get the most out of your headphones.

The RME ADI-2 DAC does possess one USB-B input connector.

I think he is talking about the RME ADI-2 FS which is an audio interface used in recording, this one does not have a USB. @EJSorona, I think what everyone here is talking about is the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
You're right, that's what we said. :wink:

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #28,490 of 28,989
It's doesn't help that they are named similarly. Still, the ADI 2 DAC a bit more expensive, and I'm not looking for a DS DAC right now.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #28,491 of 28,989
It's doesn't help that they are named similarly. Still, the ADI 2 DAC a bit more expensive, and I'm not looking for a DS DAC right now.
It is more expensive because it is better than both DACs you mentioned. Schiit doesn't do DSD and their DACs don't do better than 24/192. RME does DSD256 and high rate PCM up to 32/768. It is more adjustable, plays more kinds of music, and is more future proof than either DAC you mentioned, by far.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #28,493 of 28,989
It is more expensive because it is better than both DACs you mentioned. Schiit doesn't do DSD and their DACs don't do better than 24/192. RME does DSD256 and high rate PCM up to 32/768. It is more adjustable, plays more kinds of music, and is more future proof than either DAC you mentioned, by far.
You might be right, but still, the ADI-2 has some features I don't really need. Those 3-400 dollar difference is huge for me. The Ares II supports DSD1024.
If the ADI-2 is future proof, then I'll adquire it in the future. Denafrips is more likely to go out of business than RME. It's like, get 'em while you can, whereas you can get the good 'ol reliable ones afterwards.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #28,494 of 28,989
You might be right, but still, the ADI-2 has some features I don't really need. Those 3-400 dollar difference is huge for me. The Ares II supports DSD1024.
If the ADI-2 is future proof, then I'll adquire it in the future. Denafrips is more likely to go out of business than RME. It's like, get 'em while you can, whereas you can get the good 'ol reliable ones afterwards.
There are plenty of R2R DACs. There is no crisis, in fact there are more and more choices all the time. You don't need to panic, just buy what you want.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #28,495 of 28,989
There are plenty of R2R DACs. There is no crisis, in fact there are more and more choices all the time. You don't need to panic, just buy what you want.
I haven't made up my mind yet. I have to take availability and some risks into account. If I can't find an official dealer in my country, I have to resort to a importing company. I know one that deals with audio and musical equipment, they are pretty reliable but expensive and, even with express shipment, they are slow to deliver they goods.
I'm still waiting for my Stax energizer that I ordered in late december. They shipped me the earspeakers, but they are literally useless without an energizer.
The only good part that I have to do zero paperwork, they do everything for me.
That being said, RME has an official dealer here according to their website, I contacted them about the ADI-2 DAC FS. If the ask much less than the importing company. I will really consider it.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #28,496 of 28,989
I understand. I have lived in many places for work. One place was like that, difficult to buy anything at all. Good luck :)

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #28,497 of 28,989
I understand. I have lived in many places for work. One place was like that, difficult to buy anything at all. Good luck :)
Thanks, I definitely appreciate the advice from you guys. I was hell bent on getting the Ares II (Hell, I still want it badly), but the ADI-2 FS seems like a solid option aswell (even if I have to rely on either the onboard EQ or soft-based EQ, to emulate what R2R DACs can do natively). One pro for the ADI-2 is that it has headphone and IEM outs. I not only have own an HD800S and a L700 Mk II earspeakers, but also an HD598, which could benefit from the 1/4" jack from the ADI-2.
The Ares II, on the other hand, I read that it boast as wider soundstage, very 3D, holographic, kind of soundstage, whereas the ADI-2 is more two-dimensional.
Not only I need a better DAC for music listening, but potentially for videogames.
For now I put myself a deadline of 45 to 60 days max from the moment I posted this. Ergo, from mid to late May I have to deside which DAC should I get. I need to be able to order/purchase it without going broke.
I put my HD800S for sale a couple of times, but no luck, people here are not very willingly to pay that much for a headphone. I think I'll regret selling them badly, unless the Drop HD8XX proves to be a major improvement over the 800S.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #28,498 of 28,989
You can't use EQ to make a chipdac sound like an R2R DAC. The RME stands on its own, it is a supremely musical DAC. All the extra knobs are a bonus. You can also set it up normally and never change anything.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #28,499 of 28,989
Thanks, I definitely appreciate the advice from you guys. I was hell bent on getting the Ares II (Hell, I still want it badly), but the ADI-2 FS seems like a solid option aswell (even if I have to rely on either the onboard EQ or soft-based EQ, to emulate what R2R DACs can do natively). One pro for the ADI-2 is that it has headphone and IEM outs. I not only have own an HD800S and a L700 Mk II earspeakers, but also an HD598, which could benefit from the 1/4" jack from the ADI-2.
The Ares II, on the other hand, I read that it boast as wider soundstage, very 3D, holographic, kind of soundstage, whereas the ADI-2 is more two-dimensional.
Not only I need a better DAC for music listening, but potentially for videogames.
For now I put myself a deadline of 45 to 60 days max from the moment I posted this. Ergo, from mid to late May I have to deside which DAC should I get. I need to be able to order/purchase it without going broke.
I put my HD800S for sale a couple of times, but no luck, people here are not very willingly to pay that much for a headphone. I think I'll regret selling them badly, unless the Drop HD8XX proves to be a major improvement over the 800S.
There's a Soekris 1541 DAC listed now for $1000. I had the 1421 and Ares 1 and there was no contest. Sounds from the edges on the 1421 got mushed into the center and pretty much lost. The 1421 for me was up there in detail with the Chord Hugo 2. Another option to consider anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back