The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #27,406 of 28,992
I have an honest dac (great measurements) with an honest headphone. It should be interesting.
Just be ready to discover how poorly so much modern modern music (and plenty of older music) is recorded! You’d never know it listening with inferior gear :wink:

May 4, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #27,409 of 28,992
I was listening to HD800 tonight and wondered how I never came across HD800 thread. No wonder since it is buried here, in the summit-fi category. By todays (price) standards this should be move to the headphones full-size category. Not saying HD800 is not high end... on contrary in fact.

I've been contemplating between lcd-3 and hd800. Part of my brain that is affected by money factor( More expensive, is better) tells me that I just don't appreciate lcd-3 enough. However, ofter months off comparing the two...for me it is evident that HD800 is far superior headphone. One can argue that lcd-3 has better timbre, and to that I agree...sort of. However the difference between the two in ability to portray a soundstage, virtual orchestra without a cloud between the headphones and my ears. Well, HD800 is better and not just by a small margin.

And people who say HD800 lacks bass... I bought used Gustard H10 which does exceptional job driving hd800. It is about on par to my $1500 spl phonitor so money can't be a object, not anymore.

May 4, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #27,411 of 28,992
I was listening to HD800 tonight and wondered how I never came across HD800 thread. No wonder since it is buried here, in the summit-fi category. By todays (price) standards this should be move to the headphones full-size category. Not saying HD800 is not high end... on contrary in fact.

I've been contemplating between lcd-3 and hd800. Part of my brain that is affected by money factor( More expensive, is better) tells me that I just don't appreciate lcd-3 enough. However, ofter months off comparing the two...for me it is evident that HD800 is far superior headphone. One can argue that lcd-3 has better timbre, and to that I agree...sort of. However the difference between the two in ability to portray a soundstage, virtual orchestra without a cloud between the headphones and my ears. Well, HD800 is better and not just by a small margin.

And people who say HD800 lacks bass... I bought used Gustard H10 which does exceptional job driving hd800. It is about on par to my $1500 spl phonitor so money can't be a object, not anymore.
True. The owner of JDS Labs said the same thing to me. The O2 amp and ELdac should be the same sounding as my 2k Benchmark dac2.

May 4, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #27,412 of 28,992

I'm listening to my hd800 at the mo with a Pass Whammy headphone amp (no caps in signal path running a Burson V6 classic discreet op amp) I also have a hot rodded Bottlehead Mainline and for around the quarter of the price the Whammy gets very close.

May 4, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #27,413 of 28,992
I'm all about the glitter and glare baby!
...and for a moment I thought we have similar sonic ideals...
I have an honest dac (great measurements) with an honest headphone. It should be interesting.
I do like glitter and glare if it matches a recording and is on it, but I hate it when a headphone does it on its own. The HD 800 with its factory setting has a tendency in this direction (therefore mod and EQ).

May 4, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #27,414 of 28,992
...and for a moment I thought we have similar sonic ideals...

I do like glitter and glare if it matches a recording and is on it, but I hate it when a headphone does it on its own. The HD 800 with its factory setting has a tendency in this direction (therefore mod and EQ).
I was just trying to be funny.

May 4, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #27,415 of 28,992
My bad – Central European sense of humor. :nerd:

May 4, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #27,416 of 28,992
Just be ready to discover how poorly so much modern modern music (and plenty of older music) is recorded! You’d never know it listening with inferior gear :wink:
Unfortunately, most of the recordings of Depeche Mode will fall under that category. If not, please let me know because they were one of my favourites back in the day.

May 5, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #27,418 of 28,992
Unfortunately, most of the recordings of Depeche Mode will fall under that category. If not, please let me know because they were one of my favourites back in the day.
I actually quite like DM on the HD800 on my system. But they really shine on the Auteur.

May 5, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #27,420 of 28,992
^ Original sound recordings for DM by far on the 800’s. Remasters are way to cold, brittle and lack proper bass. DSD or the 2008 remasters don’t hold a candle to the original 80’s cd releases and the DNR presence is awesome.

Sorry. Just my opinion here, but with a calculated and analytical headphone like the 800’s the less compression on music sources the merrier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back