The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,326 of 29,027
Quote:
Different strokes and i only listened to the WA2 very limited so not sur eI can make a best impression there. It solid state so the sound is not warm it is neutral and balanced. More like a Soloist but better sounding with the hd800. 

i dont know if ill ever be able to give up that warmth but who knows anything could happen

May 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,327 of 29,027
Quote:
i don't think HD 800 will sound too good out of a denon receiver. not sure though, never tried them on a receiver.

I'll try them from my AVR-4311CI this weekend and get back to you all on that.

May 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,328 of 29,027
Quote:

thanks!
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,329 of 29,027
The Denons with and past the 2112ci line are actually pretty decent networking receivers capable of two zones. 90 watts 7.1. I looked up all the DAC/ADC and stuff and it's 192k low distortion. Obviously you are limited with the chips in a big design like that but the graphs I saw all looked good from the chip maker. I like the sound out of it. It's not a ten thousand dollar amp but we have come a long way since the 90s. It has a lot of gruff. It can easily kill my DT1350s at 80 0hms and make the bass severely uncomfortable. I don't think that is going to be a problem really.

It does sound like they are the headphone for me, though, I am going to try and audition a pair I think.

May 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,330 of 29,027
Quote:

Why would they not sound good on that receiver lol? Doesn't even make sense. That is top end quality stuff for what it does.

And anway I'm not severely picky as long as it's high-fi and the DLC/amplification does its job. Looking forward to what you think of this combo and thanks for trying it out!

May 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2,331 of 29,027
Why would they not sound good on that receiver lol? Doesn't even make sense. That is top end quality stuff for what it does.

And anway I'm not severely picky as long as it's high-fi and the DLC/amplification does its job. Looking forward to what you think of this combo and thanks for trying it out!

New receivers tend to have cheap headphone sections and wonky output impedances.

May 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,333 of 29,027
Quote:
Quote:

It will be an interesting exercise alongside the Taboo MK III. SS vs Tubes...round 1!

May 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,334 of 29,027
Quote:
New receivers tend to have cheap headphone sections and wonky output impedances.

I don't know, I did extensive testing a month ago and discovered that out of all the major brands, only Pioneer has high quality low output impedance headphone stages built in.

I pitted my two Pioneer AVR's head-to-head against the Violectric V200 and they compared extremely well (I couldnt tell the difference).

My most recent acquisition is a VSX-1122 that I picked up refurbished for $200. Not only is it an outstanding headphone amp for my HD800, but it also has all the analog (X4) and digital inputs (opticalX2, coaxX2) I need to hook up my turntable, cassette deck, Squeezebox, and CD player - with plenty to spare (HDMIX7 & USBX2).

Oh yeah, it also powers my speakers with authority.
smile.gif

May 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #2,336 of 29,027
May 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,340 of 29,027
Received and first listened to my "new" Crutchfield refurb HD-800 last night (161xx).  Was a little disappointed at first listen ..... probably because it was only for a minute, and the material wasn't stellar .... I had to quickly put the headphones away as I saw my wife pulling into the driveway, lol.    (Though when she saw me listening later, there were no questions ..... just another headphone....)

My first listen was through my Lyr/Bifrost.   Later in the evening I moved over to the Little Dot MKIV/SE which seemed to drive the phones with more authority.  These are certainly special headphones.  No bass problems at all, just the way I like, un-exaggerated  but very full.  Details are stunning, I would say just short of being problematic (sibilance and the like).  There's little doubt in my mind that any nit-picking on my part is due to upstream deficiencies.  All of sudden it was 1:30 AM ... whoops, need to be at work by 7.

I need more time to get to know them .... I have a 60 day window for return (can't really see that happening).  I find myself looking closely at higher end amp recommendations .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back