The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,341 of 29,017
Most receivers have opamp headphone sections, no buffers, no discrete output, just whatever TI is selling as a headphone opamp at the time.  W4S mINT made a big deal out of it and all I could think is... why oh why are you trying to 'sell' people on the wonders of a $2 chip in a $1500 product?  Problem with the vintage ones is they are just the speaker taps with massive inline resistors that drive down the power while jacking up the output impedance.  Read huge changes to the freq resp and poor control.

May 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,342 of 29,017
I'm working my way through this thread (almost halfway through), and there have been plenty of discussions about potential pairings of amps with the hd800.  I thought the Bryston BHA-1 looked good because:

1. I have 2 tube amps, not looking for another, want SS.
2. Want something that will do the HD800 justice and sound higher end than my Lyr or LD MKIV.
3. Would like to be able to drive my T1, HE500, HD600 as well.
4. All my phones are single ended, but would like to look towards moving to balanced in the future.

Given my requirements, does this look like a reasonable choice?  I might update DAC later, but now I'm using either AQ Dragonfly or Schiit Bifrost.

Forgetting all the other requirements, and all other things being equal, how's the SQ of BHA-1 -> HD800   vs, say V200 -> HD800  ?

May 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,343 of 29,017
Most receivers have opamp headphone sections, no buffers, no discrete output, just whatever TI is selling as a headphone opamp at the time.  W4S mINT made a big deal out of it and all I could think is... why oh why are you trying to 'sell' people on the wonders of a $2 chip in a $1500 product?  Problem with the vintage ones is they are just the speaker taps with massive inline resistors that drive down the power while jacking up the output impedance.  Read huge changes to the freq resp and poor control.

Thats why there are so many amp choices on the market. Each has its relative strengths and weaknesses.

A nice vintage amp will drive some headphones beautifully if those headphones are compatible (re: high/flat impedance curve) with their typically high output impedance.

A well designed and implemented opamp based amp can also be an outstanding performer. Same with discrete designs and OTL amps.

In my case, I approach the subject from the perspective that the recording and the headphones account for 90-95% of what we hear, and amp+DAC account for the remaining 5-10%. Obviously using tubes or mismatched gear will change the ratio, but generally, this works for me.

May 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,345 of 29,017
Quote:
I'm working my way through this thread (almost halfway through), and there have been plenty of discussions about potential pairings of amps with the hd800.  I thought the Bryston BHA-1 looked good because:

2. Want something that will do the HD800 justice and sound higher end than my Lyr or LD MKIV.
4. All my phones are single ended, but would like to look towards moving to balanced in the future.

Given my requirements, does this look like a reasonable choice?  I might update DAC later, but now I'm using either AQ Dragonfly or Schiit Bifrost.

Forgetting all the other requirements, and all other things being equal, how's the SQ of BHA-1 -> HD800   vs, say V200 -> HD800  ?

Can't speak on the V200.  However, the GS-X mkII would be my pick over the BHA-1.  I use to own it and with the HD800 the GS-X mkII is a win win.  

All depending on your buget as well.

May 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,348 of 29,017
It's a bit odd you are considering the V200 if you are looking at balanced since it only has 2 SE outputs.

May 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,352 of 29,017
Quote:

Would the Conductor give me noticeable improvement over  Bifrost (which I already own) -> Soloist  ?

Yes. The Conductor is also better than the sum of its parts according to 6moons and others who have tested.

May 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,353 of 29,017
Quote:

If you buy the BHA-1, plan to only run it in balanced mode. The unbalanced port suffers from suboptimal SQ.

May 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,354 of 29,017
Which is somehow fixed by running the suboptimal sound quality into itself to create the balanced side /facepalm

May 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,355 of 29,017
Nothing is fixed by slapping yourself in the head repeatedly. It may also result in a loss of long-term sound quality. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back