The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #22,306 of 28,989
  That -2 dB correction for 6k and 15k is perfect IMO even when I'm not using any mods and a brighter DAC/amp. Does the +8 dB at 10hz make any difference at all? I tried adjusting different values on 10hz but have not noticed any difference, making me thing HD800 doesn't get past anywhere near 20hz. Also, I'm assuming that when we are adjusting certain frequencies, like the 6.5k, that -2 applies to a certain extent to the nearby frequencies as well? Like the range from 5-8k will also get a dip as well? Also, why do you have a -9 dB setting for pre-amp? It just make everything quieter.

So Equalizer APO is a parametric EQ, which works differently from something like a graphic EQ. Parametric EQ's give the user more control and don't have the "wavy" response graphic EQ's do.

The way they work is through a base frequency, a strength, and a Q value. The Q value is the key here, what it does is it makes the curve sharper or more smooth. Higher Q values provide a sharper curve, while duller EQ values provide a smoother curve.

Here's an illustration:

When used in practice (for example), the 6k spike is a spike, so it needs a sharp EQ cut to compensate. You'll notice the 6.5k band I created has a Q value of 3, which is pretty sharp. It allows me to be more precise with cutting that peak out without affecting surrounding frequencies.

However, the 10Hz band has a Q of 0.3, which is very dull. What that allows me to do is to have a very smooth curve that starts at +8db at 10Hz, and smoothly descends to +0db at about 70Hz, which mirrors the HD800's bass rolloff. Combining the two equals flat bass extension down to 10Hz with no bass rolloff.

When in the Peace GUI, click on the button that looks like a frequency response graph with a green line (on the middle-right of the window). This will open up a graph that shows you visually what the EQ bands are doing.

Oh, and about the preamp setting, always set your preamp to the negative of 1db higher than your strongest frequency boost. For example, the highest boost in mine is that +8db 0.3Q at 10Hz, so I set the preamp to -9db. What that does is actually makes the EQ cut frequencies rather than boost them, which is necessary to prevent distortion. You don't want your EQ causing clipping, which it certainly can do if you boost frequencies rather than cut them. Just turn your amp up to compensate.

Amazing choices with the sample pieces btw, those flashbulb soundtracks are absolutely amazing with your EQ. I actually had to turn off the Xbass of my iDSD because the bass was getting a bit intense for my liking and I felt that it almost muddied the rest of the frequencies. Just added those soundtracks to my spotify playlist :D

Glad you like them! The Flashbulb (Benn Jordan) always makes incredible music. I'd recommend checking his other stuff out, each album (especially recently) is very different and he's always experimenting. I have a massive amount of respect for the guy.

And you shouldn't necessarily need that bass boost anymore with the parametric EQ. I've set up flat bass, and you can boost it yourself if you want the bass to be north of flat. The parametric EQ should give you a lot more control over how much bass you want and where.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #22,307 of 28,989

So Equalizer APO is a parametric EQ, which works differently from something like a graphic EQ. Parametric EQ's give the user more control and don't have the "wavy" response graphic EQ's do.

The way they work is through a base frequency, a strength, and a Q value. The Q value is the key here, what it does is it makes the curve sharper or more smooth. Higher Q values provide a sharper curve, while duller EQ values provide a smoother curve.

Here's an illustration:

When used in practice (for example), the 6k spike is a spike, so it needs a sharp EQ cut to compensate. You'll notice the 6.5k band I created has a Q value of 3, which is pretty sharp. It allows me to be more precise with cutting that peak out without affecting surrounding frequencies.

However, the 10Hz band has a Q of 0.3, which is very dull. What that allows me to do is to have a very smooth curve that starts at +8db at 10Hz, and smoothly descends to +0db at about 70Hz, which mirrors the HD800's bass rolloff. Combining the two equals flat bass extension down to 10Hz with no bass rolloff.

When in the Peace GUI, click on the button that looks like a frequency response graph with a green line (on the middle-right of the window). This will open up a graph that shows you visually what the EQ bands are doing.

Oh, and a quick tip, always set your preamp to the negative of 1db higher than your strongest frequency boost. For example, the highest boost in mine is that +8db 0.3Q at 10Hz, so I set the preamp to -9db. What that does is actually makes the EQ cut frequencies rather than boost them, which is necessary to prevent distortion.

Glad you like them! The Flashbulb (Benn Jordan) always makes incredible music. I'd recommend checking his other stuff out, each album (especially recently) is very different and he's always experimenting. I have a massive amount of respect for the guy.

And you shouldn't necessarily need that bass boost anymore with the parametric EQ. I've set up flat bass, and you can boost it yourself if you want the bass to be north of flat. The parametric EQ should give you a lot more control over how much bass you want and where.

That's quite a lesson and a good read! I can't believe I just started dabbling in EQ'ing my headphones, although the HD800 is probably the best one to start with. I feel like with the -9dB preamp setting I have to turn up my amp quite a bit (from the 9 o'clock to the 12 o'clock position). It does sound a bit different volume matched to the profile I made with your settings but at 0dB preamp, using a lower setting on my amp. Does it actually cause much distortion changing a few dB's on the EQ?

I'm listening to all of Flashbulb's most "popular" tracks on spotify right now just to get a feel of his music. Enjoying it immensely in the process of course. Anything else you think pairs well with the HD800?

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #22,308 of 28,989
Besides the Tung Sol 5998, what other tubes pairs well with the bottlehead crack and the HD800?

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #22,309 of 28,989

Sheldaze a really cool head-fi member has loaned me his HD800, so I could hear how it sounds through the Cavalli Liquid Gold, that I am demoing. I am in sonic heaven, the HD800 sounds phenomenal, so natural and transparent. Frank Zappa has never sounded better. I am using Tidal to MacBook Pro to Yggdrasil to the L Lau. With this type of setup, I could see myself getting the great HD800.:). Hope everyone has a great day jamming out.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #22,311 of 28,989
Apr 6, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #22,312 of 28,989
Sheldaze a really cool head-fi member has loaned me his HD800, so I could hear how it sounds through the Cavalli Liquid Gold, that I am demoing. I am in sonic heaven, the HD800 sounds phenomenal, so natural and transparent. Frank Zappa has never sounded better. I am using Tidal to MacBook Pro to Yggdrasil to the L Lau. With this type of setup, I could see myself getting the great HD800.
smily_headphones1.gif
. Hope everyone has a great day jamming out.

How does it compare to your Ether C & HE-K on the Gold?

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #22,313 of 28,989
How does it compare to your Ether C & HE-K on the Gold?

I just got done listening to the HE1K, driven by the Liquid Gold, and I have never heard the HE1K sound so good. The bass is deep, powerful, with lots of slam. Yet the bass is finely controlled and does not muddy up the sweet midds. The mids are sweet, lush and ever so natural sounding. The highs are spot on perfect, with the micro detail allowing the music to so detailed and natural sounding without any annoying sybilance. The soundstage on the HE1K is nice and large, with fantastic detail, which allows it be be three-dimensional holographic. Although I feel the soundstage on the HD800 is better. I will compare the ETHER and ETHER C ( driven by the gold) later on today.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #22,314 of 28,989
  That's an great source! Thanks

I'm planning on getting a used TS5998. If I end up getting a used one, with say about 200-300 hours used on them, will that change the sound output much? What's the lifetime on these tubes?

Also, do input tubes make much difference? They're not terribly expensive so I don't mind getting one new, but just curious.

A 5998 should be good for a few thousand hours no problem. Rolling the input tube can make a difference you could head over to the bottlehead forum where there is a thread on rolling tubes for the Crack or the Crack page here on headfi for some suggestions that will work well for the type of music you listen to.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #22,315 of 28,989
Been a pretty devout T1 lover for the past year, but I just ordered the HD800 and LCD 2.2 to see which of the three I prefer :) HD800 will probs take the cake due to its sound sig, but I'm curious to see!!

Anyone have a Lyr here? I'm trying to figure out what tubes will help soothe the treble, I am going with orange globes so far

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #22,316 of 28,989
Been a pretty devout T1 lover for the past year, but I just ordered the HD800 and LCD 2.2 to see which of the three I prefer
smily_headphones1.gif
HD800 will probs take the cake due to its sound sig, but I'm curious to see!!

Anyone have a Lyr here? I'm trying to figure out what tubes will help soothe the treble, I am going with orange globes so far

I'll be getting the T1 (again) tomorrow to compare with my HD800 as well.

I'll post my impression when I do some A/B testing.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #22,318 of 28,989
Been a pretty devout T1 lover for the past year, but I just ordered the HD800 and LCD 2.2 to see which of the three I prefer
smily_headphones1.gif
HD800 will probs take the cake due to its sound sig, but I'm curious to see!!

Got a Lyr2, try Bugle Boys, one of the warmer tubes that I have for the Lyr2.  I have all three headphones but use a BH Crack for the T-1 and HD-800, Lyr2 with Telefunken CCa's for the LCD-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back