The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #20,641 of 28,992
@BobFiggins
At this level (HD800) it's not about quantity but quality of the amplification.
You will never listen at max. level of the amplifier unless it is severly lacking power to drive the headphones. I am driving my room speakers with a 25Wpc First Watt M2 and it sound waaay better than the previous amp which was rated like 150Wpc. Don't buy you equipement by specs drivel in marketing publications but listen to the sound with your favorite music at normal listening levels.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #20,642 of 28,992
If money isn't an issue, one may choose from this list, maybe between no 11-15.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/12600#post_10774632

What I really meant was, money isn't an issue for the same price range, sorry.

I really would like to know about Valhalla 2 vs Mjolnir 2 though. I realize what I said will probably get me more responses telling me other things to buy, but I'd like to start off simple with something I'm more familiar with. I've dealt with Schiit multiple times and am quite comfortable purchasing from them.

That is a good guide though, no Mjolnir listed though, I wonder if that's because he hasn't heard it yet, or it's not worthy. Sent him a PM to see. This does bring me back though, the reason I got Vali was because of his review of it. When I purchased the HD 700, I was always aware I might upgrade to the HD 800, and I'd have something capable of driving it decently. I originally had the Valhalla 2 also, but found it to be somewhat too aggressive with the HD 700. I regret returning it though, after going to many headphone meets nothing has yet to impress me as much as the Valhalla 2 did. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #20,643 of 28,992

If money isn't an issue, one may choose from this list, maybe between no 11-15.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/12600#post_10774632

What I really meant was, money isn't an issue for the same price range, sorry.

I really would like to know about Valhalla 2 vs Mjolnir 2 though. I realize what I said will probably get me more responses telling me other things to buy, but I'd like to start off simple with something I'm more familiar with. I've dealt with Schiit multiple times and am quite comfortable purchasing from them.

That is a good guide though, no Mjolnir listed though, I wonder if that's because he hasn't heard it yet, or it's not worthy. Sent him a PM to see. This does bring me back though, the reason I got Vali was because of his review of it. When I purchased the HD 700, I was always aware I might upgrade to the HD 800, and I'd have something capable of driving it decently. I originally had the Valhalla 2 also, but found it to be somewhat too aggressive with the HD 700. I regret returning it though, after going to many headphone meets nothing has yet to impress me as much as the Valhalla 2 did. 

I can't give a comparison between mj2 and valhalla 2 , but I can say the Mj2 does a amazing job with the hd800's.  After getting  a good set of tubes I am extremely satisfied with the pairing.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #20,644 of 28,992
Ok, back again with a little update on my ongoing evaluation process for finding my perfect match in amp/day for the HD800s.

The other day I gave the Sennheiser HDVD 800 a run. My subjective impressions compared to the Musical Fidelity MX DAC and MX HPA:
Positiv: smoother sound overall, for lack of a better word, just easy to listen to.
Negativ: smoother sound overall, for lack of a better word, just easy to listen to.

Yes, that’s right, the positive is also the negative.
IMO it tries too hard to sound pleasing, even a bit like it is trying to chum up to the listener.
In comparison to the Musical Fidelity setup, tracks often lack detail, separation and the cold, dry punch in the lows. Keep in mind that these impressions are all very subjective and the difference is not night and day. It’s more an overall tendency.

Now for aesthetics: it kind of parallels the sound signature. Sennheiser tried hard to design a visual pleasing unit. Too hard for my taste. As with the sound, everything is smooth, immediately appealing. Style over substance one might say. I went away from the unit with feeling of, when buying this I would feel a bit ripped off. Like I bought in on a too obvious scheme. Sorry, hard to put in (english) words :wink:

Anyway, next up will be the T+A DAC 8 (with integrated Headphone Amp). Heard good things about the unit and will give it a try. Anybody tried this one with the HD800s?

Cheers,
Pumpe19

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #20,645 of 28,992
Thanks everyone for recommendations on closed-back headphones to accompany the HD800s.  Will audition some of these in the near future for portable use.  Top of list on desk checking: Oppo PM-3, NAD HP50 and, just because I want to, the Bowers & Wilkins P7s (I mean, their speakers are so great ... ).

Wish I could wear IEMs there are so many excellent suggestions.  But alas I am in the minority that just cannot get along with them.

We have probably hijacked this thread long enough.  Back to the HD800s (no problem there, then)

Thanks again!

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #20,646 of 28,992
  Ok, back again with a little update on my ongoing evaluation process for finding my perfect match in amp/day for the HD800s.

The other day I gave the Sennheiser HDVD 800 a run. My subjective impressions compared to the Musical Fidelity MX DAC and MX HPA:
Positiv: smoother sound overall, for lack of a better word, just easy to listen to.
Negativ: smoother sound overall, for lack of a better word, just easy to listen to.

Yes, that’s right, the positive is also the negative.
IMO it tries too hard to sound pleasing, even a bit like it is trying to chum up to the listener.
In comparison to the Musical Fidelity setup, tracks often lack detail, separation and the cold, dry punch in the lows. Keep in mind that these impressions are all very subjective and the difference is not night and day. It’s more an overall tendency.

Now for aesthetics: it kind of parallels the sound signature. Sennheiser tried hard to design a visual pleasing unit. Too hard for my taste. As with the sound, everything is smooth, immediately appealing. Style over substance one might say. I went away from the unit with feeling of, when buying this I would feel a bit ripped off. Like I bought in on a too obvious scheme. Sorry, hard to put in (english) words :wink:

Anyway, next up will be the T+A DAC 8 (with integrated Headphone Amp). Heard good things about the unit and will give it a try. Anybody tried this one with the HD800s?

Cheers,
Pumpe19

Are you going to try thee Hugo?  Same price range as the HDVD800 (at least here in the UK) -- I cannot decide between the two and will have to set up an audition when I can find a dealer who stocks both. 

Consensus view seems to be that the HDVD800 is an excellent amp for the 800s, while the Hugo is an amazing DAC.

Cheers

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #20,647 of 28,992
  Consensus view seems to be that the HDVD800 is an excellent amp for the 800s, while the Hugo is an amazing DAC.

I disagree. Here's why. The best amp is no amp. (I'm speaking from own experience.)

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #20,648 of 28,992
My GO V2 Infinity sounds better with HD800 than the Hugo. By a long shot. Do not believe the HF hype for Hugo.

The best starter pack for HD800 in my opinion and experience is as follows:

What I have owned or extensively heard:

Geek Out V2 Infinity (by itself, best if using balanced out, for that extra bit of juice) + Valhalla 2.

What is generally agreed amongst non-hype based circles:

Any Schiit Multibit DAC (Bifrost or Gungnir) + Valhalla 2.

The Hugo is not only extremely poor value for what you get, it is also just not a very refined product for the demanding HD800.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #20,650 of 28,992
My GO V2 Infinity sounds better with HD800 than the Hugo. By a long shot. Do not believe the HF hype for Hugo.

The best starter pack for HD800 in my opinion and experience is as follows:

What I have owned or extensively heard:

Geek Out V2 Infinity (by itself, best if using balanced out, for that extra bit of juice) + Valhalla 2.

What is generally agreed amongst non-hype based circles:

Any Schiit Multibit DAC (Bifrost or Gungnir) + Valhalla 2.

The Hugo is not only extremely poor value for what you get, it is also just not a very refined product for the demanding HD800.

To each his own. Your «poor value» is my bargain – based on own listening experience, not hype. Moreover an excellent match with my modified HD 800. (I suppose yours is in original state.)

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #20,652 of 28,992
Oct 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #20,653 of 28,992

I'm definitely in line with this opinion. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #20,655 of 28,992
Pelican 1300 as well . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back