The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #19,441 of 28,989
Are you liking the HE1000 more than HD800?
For folks in the GTA (greater Toronto area), I swung by BayBloorRadio today and noted that they had brand new HD800s for $1200 Cdn for a brand new pair. That's $925 US approximately. Why the great deal? No, the HD900s are not around the corner, but what the salesperson told me was that there was actually a price increase coming in the fall due to the weaker Canadian $ next to the US $, so they bought a boat load of HD800s. This deal is ONLY available in-store...so if you're in Hogtown and always wanted a pair of the legendary HD800s, now is as good as ever!

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #19,442 of 28,989
$1200 for a headphone isn't a "great deal" -- with that, one can put it towards a new headphone amp/preamp like a Cavalli. Better return on the dollar.
imo. 
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #19,443 of 28,989
$1200 for a headphone isn't a "great deal" -- with that, one can put it towards a new headphone amp/preamp like a Cavalli. Better return on the dollar.
imo.  :cool: :D

I agree... $1200 CAD isn't a great deal for the HD-800's, it's a superb deal. They are well worth the cash, unlike some other headphones that go for more (haven't tried the HE1k's myself, but I think they are also very good, just pricey).

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #19,444 of 28,989
I agree... $1200 CAD isn't a great deal for the HD-800's, it's a superb deal. They are well worth the cash, unlike some other headphones that go for more (haven't tried the HE1k's myself, but I think they are also very good, just pricey).

nahhh...but that's just me. for a dynamic driver....maybe a top planar mag for that kinda dough.
defend your spending...it's ok. we all do it.
cool.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #19,445 of 28,989
nahhh...but that's just me. for a dynamic driver....maybe a top planar mag for that kinda dough.
defend your spending...it's ok. we all do it. :cool:  

I'm not defending my spending... I really don't mind paying for quality. The LCD's are not worth the cash IMO. The drivers constantly fail on the 3's, and the presentation of the 800's is miles ahead of the 2 and 3's. The HE1k's may be in a different league which actually competes with the 800's, IMO.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #19,446 of 28,989
At that price I'd buy two if I could..I don't think there's a planar in this price range I would take over the hd800 outside of the he6 if I had the amp for the he6.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #19,447 of 28,989
I fell for the planar trap already. Dynamic drivers do detail retrieval and micro detailing on a level that planars cannot touch. The planars simply can't present the euphonic decay which leads to resolution IMO. I know I'm not alone in this opinion either, but I do know that the majority of my friends prefer the LCD's to the HD's. They like the boom of the bass, and the immersive experience... Fair enough. I'm sure there are also Beats that do this wonderfully. If I heard Beats that resolved like the HD's, I would also state my opinion.

Planars are speedier, can have more excitement/oomph, but ultimately cost a hell of a lot more to even touch the 800's.

As for money, give me a break. I bought the LCD-3's, that is buyers remorse. I paid $1350 CAD for my HD-800's and they are worth every penny.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #19,448 of 28,989
I fell for the planar trap already. Dynamic drivers do detail retrieval and micro detailing on a level that planars cannot touch. The planars simply can't present the euphonic decay which leads to resolution IMO. I know I'm not alone in this opinion either, but I do know that the majority of my friends prefer the LCD's to the HD's. They like the boom of the bass, and the immersive experience... Fair enough. I'm sure there are also Beats that do this wonderfully. If I heard Beats that resolved like the HD's, I would also state my opinion.

Idk that's a pretty bold statement. When you mean detail do you really mean treble detail or upper frequencies? That I can agree on. Microdetail and macrodetail is something that I cannot agree that dynamics as a whole do better... seems like a bold statement leading to.. nowhere

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #19,451 of 28,989
I can't explain here. I'll PM you
smily_headphones1.gif

What I can say is that it has to do with the physical properties of the dynamic drivers vs the planars.

Why not here? It's relevant. Planars vs. dynamics -- both have diff operating/physical principles.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #19,452 of 28,989

Planars are speedier, can have more excitement/oomph, but ultimately cost a hell of a lot more to even touch the 800's.

As for money, give me a break. I bought the LCD-3's, that is buyers remorse. I paid $1350 CAD for my HD-800's and they are worth every penny.

We are entitled to our own opinions but that's quite a statement you had there.  If you chalk it up to personal sound preference, I would say more power to you.  The moment you start saying things like euphonic decay leading to resolution, and bringing up Beats in the same sentence as HD800 and TOTL planars to get your points across, you are going to get some interesting reactions from the community.  Let's keep it to PM as you stated.  Good decision there.

Just my 2c.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #19,453 of 28,989
I have both hd800s and lcd2-fs The hd800 reveals details, such as reverb around voices, that cant be heard on the lcds. But much of the time the lcds drag me into the music in a way the hd800s might not. I really enjoy both. They seem to be apples and oranges. I know when I stop listening to one pair, I have to let my ears/brain adjust to the other. The hd800s can be like turning on the lights or walking through the gates at Disneyland. They have taught me to listen better or at least listen differently. So now my car seems to have a bigger soundstage. :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #19,454 of 28,989
I have both hd800s and lcd2-fs The hd800 reveals details, such as reverb around voices, that cant be heard on the lcds. But much of the time the lcds drag me into the music in a way the hd800s might not. I really enjoy both. They seem to be apples and oranges. I know when I stop listening to one pair, I have to let my ears/brain adjust to the other. The hd800s can be like turning on the lights or walking through the gates at Disneyland. They have taught me to listen better or at least listen differently. So now my car seems to have a bigger soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe this has to do with the big soundstage and more emphasis on the high on the HD800.  I've compared my HD800 and HE-6 on vocal tracks that I am super familiar with.  The differences in the 2 sound signatures make it hard to accurately compare certain characteristics, decay and reverb included.  By the time, I throw in a speaker amp that can drive the HE-6 adequately, there're too many various factors to consider.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #19,455 of 28,989
I have NO problem whatsoever with expressing one's OPINIONS on this forum. It's when people start making remarks that are sweeping generalizations ("facts") that make me sometimes want to hold them to defending/justifying their remarks.  Clarity and conservative caution, not hype, are what make HeadFi a useful resource for all.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back