The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #19,426 of 28,989

I was thinking the same thing except I find the HE-560 to be better at low volume and HD800 is better at higher volumes.

When listening at low volume with the HD800 and HE-560, what EQ settings do you use?  Do you use different EQ different between each?

I'm not using any EQ settings with either headphone. I'm running through a Matrix X-Sabre and Little Dot MKIV SE Tube amp. Low volume on the HE-560 just seems distant to me.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #19,427 of 28,989

I'm not using any EQ settings with either headphone. I'm running through a Matrix X-Sabre and Little Dot MKIV SE Tube amp. Low volume on the HE-560 just seems distant to me.

OK.

I guess I am the outlier here. I use more loudness EQ as I turn the down volume. That's probably why I get different results.

I find any headphone will lack bass and treble when I reduce the volume. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #19,428 of 28,989

OK.

I guess I am the outlier here. I use more loudness EQ as I turn the down volume. That's probably why I get different results.

I find any headphone will lack bass and treble when I reduce the volume. Thanks.

I'm not so sure there. As volume is reduced, different frequencies will be heard less than others, predominantly in the bass from what I understand. In my case, I just think I am listening at lower volumes in general with the HD800's.

On a side note, I decided to go on a kick of listening to some Wind Orchestra music today (used to play trumpet in a Wind Orchestra back in England)> The HD800's are just incredible with classical music! I know that's already been said, but I had to re-iterate. I was working and all of a sudden I hit something emotional  in the music that just stopped me dead - I just love when that happens - just being taken by music :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #19,429 of 28,989
I use a headphone/microphone splitter that came with my Mixamp. That splitter plugs into the headset output on the Mixamp. From there you plug your microphone (I use an Antlion Modmic) into the microphone portion of the splitter and your headphone amplifier into the headphone portion of the splitter.

For the Mixamp volume, I have it fully maxed out and control the volume using my headphone amp. Works with no problems but I have read things in the past where people set there Mixamp volume to 80% or something along those lines.

I would not use the stream out port of the Mixamp at all. It is basically meant for combining everything from your Mixamp (game audio and microphone audio) and sending it to a line in on your computer for live streaming purposes. Even for that purpose I find the stream port to have very bad quality sound for some reason.

I've finally got my gear together...
Astro Mixamp PRO and IfI Micro iDSD as amp.. I've been testing them with my PS4.

I've configured everything by the book, and i think the PS4 is correctly outputting DD Live 5.1 to the Mixamp, but I can't say I can tell much of a difference.
I've been testing in CoD Advanced Warfare (I'm guessing that should have the audio part in check, no? :) by pressing the Dolby Headphone button on/off to see the difference... not much there to see.

Any way to fool proof test that the whole chain is working correctly with the PS4 and Mixamp and I'm getting Dolby Headphone?
I've tried calibration bluerays with 5.1 speaker tests, but for those the PS4 immediately falls back to outputting stereo and not DD 5.1.
I can easily check what's being output because my AV Receiver that is connected also via HDMI reports how the audio stream looks like.

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #19,430 of 28,989

I will attenuate that comment by saying 10 dB on my iTunes mixer.  I have no idea what that translates to in reality.

I routinely listen at low volume so 10 dbB EQ is essential. I am a whacko believer in the shoddy and unscientific work of Fletcher and Munson 80 years ago.  People who insist on flat playback will get 'better' results but I can live with that. 

If you're going to EQ, I'd heavily recommend EqualizerAPO if you're running Windows. It's a much better EQ than the iTunes Mixer, and it's parametric meaning it doesn't have fixed bands. You can EQ any frequencies you wish in any way you wish. You can apply broad range equalization or small surgical fixes (like the 6K spike).

Interesting...I've found that with with every planar I've tried, you have to turn them up to really make the sound compelling.

....which in my case, if you're at work, isn't always an option.

I've had a similar experience. I noticed that my hearing was getting worse when the LCD-2's were my primary headphone. I had to turn it up to really enjoy it, and I never had that problem with dynamic or electrostatic headphones.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #19,431 of 28,989
  Interesting...I've found that with with every planar I've tried, you have to turn them up to really make the sound compelling.

....which in my case, if you're at work, isn't always an option.

The LCD-2.2 did not need cranking -- they are very good and musical at modest volumes from a good amp.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #19,433 of 28,989
I continue to be very impressed by these!  All those years reading and thinking they were bass shy................not!  They are flagships with all I want/need and like them better than the HE-6, Ether, TH900, D7000 (tho that has a special place in my arsenal for when I want a semi closed sound with incredible bass) and all the other 50+ headphones I've owned and/or auditioned. 

Glad I checked AWD on Prime Day - got 15% off an already good price.   

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #19,434 of 28,989
For folks in the GTA (greater Toronto area), I swung by BayBloorRadio today and noted that they had brand new HD800s for $1200 Cdn for a brand new pair. That's $925 US approximately. Why the great deal? No, the HD900s are not around the corner, but what the salesperson told me was that there was actually a price increase coming in the fall due to the weaker Canadian $ next to the US $, so they bought a boat load of HD800s. This deal is ONLY available in-store...so if you're in Hogtown and always wanted a pair of the legendary HD800s, now is as good as ever!

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #19,435 of 28,989
  Congrats Frank,

Yours seems to be new.  I just got my pair from Colorware at 38381.  Glad you're liking them so far.

I also got myself a new HD 800 - 39005 :) Just got my certificate - liking the Sennheiser customer service so far!  - I'll be researching getting these amped nicely, might do a DIY project. 

I'm impressed with it, hasn't been too bright for my preference. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #19,436 of 28,989
  I also got myself a new HD 800 - 39005 :) Just got my certificate - liking the Sennheiser customer service so far!  - I'll be researching getting these amped nicely, might do a DIY project. 

I'm impressed with it, hasn't been too bright for my preference

I'm quite sensitive to bright speakers.  I'll have to say unmodified HD800/Burson Virtuoso with my Tube Buffer/processor really assisted in controlling even bad recordings with shrill.  

The recent modification I've done costed several dollars yet the improvements to my ears was a dramatic one. I find the change to add some more musical enjoyment as it adds some more colour to the sound. My subjective 2 bits.......

I would be certain I would have a hard time removing the modification now (even though the simple mods would take 5 minutes to remove).

The cheap mod has prevented me from buying a different set of headphones or amp.  I must be easy to please :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #19,437 of 28,989

I'm impressed with it, hasn't been too bright for my preference. 

Congratulations on the HD800  if you are thinking of going DIY then make sure the Bottlehead Mainline is on your list it really is a excellent match with the HD800.  There is also the eagerly awaited  DsavitskTorpedo III due for release soon via Beezar it sounds like they are still fine tuning transformers from the snippets coming through on the forum. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished result and being able to put a order in. Dsavitsk has a superb reputation for his amps.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #19,438 of 28,989

Congratulations on the HD800  if you are thinking of going DIY then make sure the Bottlehead Mainline is on your list it really is a excellent match with the HD800.  There is also the eagerly awaited  DsavitskTorpedo III due for release soon via Beezar it sounds like they are still fine tuning transformers from the snippets coming through on the forum. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished result and being able to put a order in. Dsavitsk has a superb reputation for his amps.

Thanks for the advise JamieMcC

I will check out the Bottlehead Mainline and keep my eye out for the DsavitskTorpedo III :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #19,439 of 28,989

I'm quite sensitive to bright speakers.  I'll have to say unmodified HD800/Burson Virtuoso with my Tube Buffer/processor really assisted in controlling even bad recordings with shrill.  

The recent modification I've done costed several dollars yet the improvements to my ears was a dramatic one. I find the change to add some more musical enjoyment as it adds some more colour to the sound. My subjective 2 bits.......

I would be certain I would have a hard time removing the modification now (even though the simple mods would take 5 minutes to remove).

The cheap mod has prevented me from buying a different set of headphones or amp.  I must be easy to please :)

Nice one AlanU  

Speaking of Buffer amps. I’ve got a Nelson Pass designed DIY F4 amp - its a power buffer and is great when driven with a tube preamp - this could possibly be a nice match for the HD800. 

I’ve heard about some mods of the HD800 but not researched properly yet.

I did see the Tyll innerfidelity post about the Anaxilus Mod. Have you any up to date info on the mods?

Thanks a lot

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #19,440 of 28,989
  Nice one AlanU  

Speaking of Buffer amps. I’ve got a Nelson Pass designed DIY F4 amp - its a power buffer and is great when driven with a tube preamp - this could possibly be a nice match for the HD800. 

I’ve heard about some mods of the HD800 but not researched properly yet.

I did see the Tyll innerfidelity post about the Anaxilus Mod. Have you any up to date info on the mods?

Thanks a lot

Take out the dust covers and work from there. You'll thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back