The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #17,521 of 29,010
What's the best solution for storing the HD800? It's really annoying they don't come in a wooden box ):
A box or stand? I only have a 50$ budget, so if anyone has any idea, thanks.

I use this : http://www.amazon.com/HippoCase-Headphone-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic-DT880pro/dp/B00FMFBU16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426539203&sr=8-1&keywords=hd800+case 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #17,522 of 29,010
What's the best solution for storing the HD800? It's really annoying they don't come in a wooden box ):
A box or stand? I only have a 50$ budget, so if anyone has any idea, thanks.

SO finally you bought the HD800?
biggrin.gif

Congrats!

Agree with the above poster on the large Hippo case.
Got it free from Jaben Singapore when I purchased the HD800 early last year.
It can fit in the HD800 but you might have to remove the stock cable to zip it.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #17,523 of 29,010

SO finally you bought the HD800?
biggrin.gif

Congrats!

Agree with the above poster on the large Hippo case.
Got it free from Jaben Singapore when I purchased the HD800 early last year.
It can fit in the HD800 but you might have to remove the stock cable to zip it.

The day pearl gets HD800 will be a historical milestone in this thread.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #17,525 of 29,010
Lol!
I can also hear "Amen!" at AKG812 thread

LOL I don't follow that thread. I take it classic Pearl there as well.

(Pearl, seriously, just do it. You know you want to.)

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #17,527 of 29,010
Then there's the inevitable and imminent torrent of questions in search of the 'best' amp/dac synergy.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #17,528 of 29,010

I use these two stands. When I need to store the HD800, I stick it in the box that it came with. It's nice and cozy with all of that silk.

On the left: Fischer Audio "The Curve"

On the right: Wooden Omega stand. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #17,529 of 29,010
I think many of us and many other people in the K812 would be immediately ready to join our efforts and pay a K812 and a HD800 to pearl.... Anything as long as it stops asking again and again the same questions.
rolleyes.gif

We're more numerous here though. So it would be cheaper for each of us. the HD800 wins one more time.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #17,530 of 29,010

I use these two stands. When I need to store the HD800, I stick it in the box that it came with. It's nice and cozy with all of that silk.

Sweet. I guess the Omega is covered with walnut veneer?
That method (Sieveking Omega walnut + original box) is ecactly the way I store my HD800. Imo, the Omega stand is the sexiest headphone stand out there unless you make one yourself.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #17,531 of 29,010
Just be careful when using those Omega wooden stand.

I was using the cheap eBay imitation stand (i.e. NOT Sieveking) and left my HD800 on it for more than 2 weeks as I was overseas.
When I removed the HD800 from the stand, there were some residues from the headband and ear cups left on the stand.
Tried to remove the residues with warm water but to no avail.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #17,532 of 29,010
Room's is the better stand as the pads do not touch anything and can just dry "naturally". I am not a fan of sweat touching anything and staying there. At least let it dry for a while and then put it on. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #17,533 of 29,010
  I think many of us and many other people in the K812 would be immediately ready to join our efforts and pay a K812 and a HD800 to pearl.... Anything as long as it stops asking again and again the same questions.
rolleyes.gif

We're more numerous here though. So it would be cheaper for each of us. the HD800 wins one more time.
biggrin.gif

Excuse me while I go and annoy the folks on the SR-009 thread. Fingers crossed
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #17,534 of 29,010
HD800 First Impressions

I've had the HD800s for 5 days now. Sound-wise, I love them. They are much clearer than the HD600s and HD650s, my former go-to headphones. I've heard new details in a couple of my favorite tracks. I have not noticed the two complaints that I've heard about from others: harsh trebble or insufficient bass.

My biggest shock with the HD800s was how they fit, not how they sound. They are much larger than I would've guessed and quite loose. My head is not small, but if I tilt it too far they'll fall right off. Sudden movements can cause them to shift around. While this is slightly annoying, I won't complain as long as they sound good. The material is very interesting, and I'm glad that they don't have a death-grip. The headband feels a bit odd as though it's at a weird angle, but maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet. Overall, I can see how people say that you almost forget that they're on your head, although I have a little more adjusting to do before I get to that stage. I don't really feel the pads on my head, so it's just the weight and the headband that remain to be forgotten.

I'm currently driving them via my old Headstage Arrow G3 + USB DAC. It easily has enough power without having to increase the gain switch from the lowest setting. At some point, once I'm more used to them, I'd like to acquire another DAC/Amp to try out, just to see what difference there is. I'm not one of those people who believes he needs a $1000 amp, so I'd probably try an ODAC/Objective2 Amp or something else very neutral.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to my other headphones yet. I've been enjoying the HD800s so much that I haven't felt the desire to go back to anything else. I can already predict that the HD650s will have a darker sound -- something that I always liked the HD650s over the HD600s for in the past, so it will be interesting to see how I rate them in direct comparison to these. Something tells me that the larger and clearer soundstage of the HD800 will be like night and day....

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #17,535 of 29,010
  HD800 First Impressions

I've had the HD800s for 5 days now. Sound-wise, I love them. They are much clearer than the HD600s and HD650s, my former go-to headphones. I've heard new details in a couple of my favorite tracks. I have not noticed the two complaints that I've heard about from others: harsh trebble or insufficient bass.

My biggest shock with the HD800s was how they fit, not how they sound. They are much larger than I would've guessed and quite loose. My head is not small, but if I tilt it too far they'll fall right off. Sudden movements can cause them to shift around. While this is slightly annoying, I won't complain as long as they sound good. The material is very interesting, and I'm glad that they don't have a death-grip. The headband feels a bit odd as though it's at a weird angle, but maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet. Overall, I can see how people say that you almost forget that they're on your head, although I have a little more adjusting to do before I get to that stage. I don't really feel the pads on my head, so it's just the weight and the headband that remain to be forgotten.

I'm currently driving them via my old Headstage Arrow G3 + USB DAC. It easily has enough power without having to increase the gain switch from the lowest setting. At some point, once I'm more used to them, I'd like to acquire another DAC/Amp to try out, just to see what difference there is. I'm not one of those people who believes he needs a $1000 amp, so I'd probably try an ODAC/Objective2 Amp or something else very neutral.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to my other headphones yet. I've been enjoying the HD800s so much that I haven't felt the desire to go back to anything else. I can already predict that the HD650s will have a darker sound -- something that I always liked the HD650s over the HD600s for in the past, so it will be interesting to see how I rate them in direct comparison to these. Something tells me that the larger and clearer soundstage of the HD800 will be like night and day....

Congrat. So you have HD800 and HD650 same as me. I think it is good to have both just to have a possibility to switch the sound. HD650 are better for poor records but are also great with great records. HD800 are probably not that good for poor records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back