The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #17,506 of 28,989
I am not sure if this has been brought up here before but I thought it was pretty cool to see how it works.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8026755/put-on-headphones-and-hear-new-york-city-in-3d-audio

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #17,507 of 28,989
  I am not sure if this has been brought up here before but I thought it was pretty cool to see how it works.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8026755/put-on-headphones-and-hear-new-york-city-in-3d-audio

Pretty nice indeed. If you want more, just search for "binaural recording".

There are also some binaural music recordings out there (for example "Dr.Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic Binaural Sound Show", released by Chesky Records).

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #17,509 of 28,989
For those interested , I tried an Audiovalve RKV mkII this sunday.  I had read somewhere that this amp was slow, tubey but that's not what My ears said to me. The resul with the HD800 is great, not slow, not muddy. Clear and fast with a great sense of resolution and detail. Slight engaging bass boost and sparkle in the treble . Typical OTL Clarity.  A great match with the HD800 Maybe a bit agressive/fatiguing. In comparison the DNA Sonett is warmer/smoother , less detailed and more forgiving for average recordings.

The RKV does not match the DNA sense of intimacy and the textures of voices and acoustic intruments ( Solo Violin, cello, piano reveal clearly this point) . the RKV offers a more precise, sparkling and punchy sound .

my 2 cents :wink:

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #17,510 of 28,989
While never tried any OTL based amps with HD800, but have read that they do very well together.

THX for the info.

Quote:
  For those interested , I tried an Audiovalve RKV mkII this sunday.  I had read somewhere that this amp was slow, tubey but that's not what My ears said to me. The resul with the HD800 is great, not slow, not muddy. Clear and fast with a great sense of resolution and detail. Slight engaging bass boost and sparkle in the treble . Typical OTL Clarity.  A great match with the HD800 Maybe a bit agressive/fatiguing. In comparison the DNA Sonett is warmer/smoother , less detailed and more forgiving for average recordings.

The RKV does not match the DNA sense of intimacy and the textures of voices and acoustic intruments ( Solo Violin, cello, piano reveal clearly this point) . the RKV offers a more precise, sparkling and punchy sound .

my 2 cents :wink:

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #17,511 of 28,989
@Blackmore: it definitely worth a try if you have the opportunity. I'd like to read your opinion and see if our impressions match. 
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #17,516 of 28,989
What's the best solution for storing the HD800? It's really annoying they don't come in a wooden box ):
A box or stand? I only have a 50$ budget, so if anyone has any idea, thanks.

Why? For utilitarian purposes, the stock cardboard case it comes with would serve just the same purpose as a wooden box. I personally keep mine in the box it came with. It's the cheapest storage option and keeps the HD800 safe from scratches and dust. Pelicans are good if you're travelling around a lot. For home use, the box it came with works just fine.

I had a Room Headphone stand for my LCD-3 but I probably won't get it again for the HD800. Only the Klutz looks sexy enough for the HD800.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #17,517 of 28,989
I used to store mine in the pelican case, a' la audeze, even if they never left my living room, but it was annoying to open it so I decided for an hippocase from amazon. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #17,518 of 28,989
I'm not sure cardboard can block dust...
Why? For utilitarian purposes, the stock cardboard case it comes with would serve just the same purpose as a wooden box. I personally keep mine in the box it came with. It's the cheapest storage option and keeps the HD800 safe from scratches and dust. Pelicans are good if you're travelling around a lot. For home use, the box it came with works just fine.

I had a Room Headphone stand for my LCD-3 but I probably won't get it again for the HD800. Only the Klutz looks sexy enough for the HD800.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #17,519 of 28,989
I use a Woo headphone stand for at home and a large hippocase for the road. At home I keep all the gear covered with cloths to keep the dust from settling on it.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #17,520 of 28,989
I'm not sure cardboard can block dust...

This easily blocks dust http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/sennheiser/images/hd800/D3S_4332-in-box-1200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back