The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #16,141 of 28,992
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #16,142 of 28,992

I bet this will make you happy as a clam! Answer: The Sennheiser HD800 is not being discontinued in the immediate future. End of story. In fact, they are available for purchase again on Sennheiser USA as of this morning. My other theory on a shortage from the holiday sales was likely right--not exactly what I hoped for but that's the way things are. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up!

headroom-icon.jpg
HeadRoom Support (HeadRoom Support)
Jan 08 11:18 AM

Hello,

I assure you the HD 800 is not being replaced any time soon. It's still available on Sennheiser's website along with all other authorized dealers like us. I know it will probably be a couple more years before Sennheiser makes a new version of the 800, but that will certainly be a very magical day. Sorry to disappoint you and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for contacting HeadRoom Support!

ca1954e18de6eecd24f51cc46262fa03
Hifihedgehog
Jan 07 06:59 PM

Are the rumors true that the HD800 is finally being discontinued? They are no longer available for purchase directly from Sennheiser USA or Germany, Amazon.co.uk, and several other retailers. If you not bound by NDA, is there rumor in the wind of a new flagship coming later this year?

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #16,144 of 28,992
  lol. toldja so!

the original rumors weren't really based on anything solid. just someone randomly speculating.

It was a 50-50 guess either way. The fact that Amazon UK, Germany and France, Sennheiser USA and Germany, and several other pro audio and Hi-Fi online retailers no longer stocked or had the product available for a week or even had it listed as "discontinued by manufacturer" would have led anyone to believe strongly in discontinuation. I still think the Sennheiser HD800 is just a tad overrated. I listened to it and, despite its magnificent layering and detail recovery, I thought it lacked lowest octave impact and some treble refinement for its price range, but that's a discussion for another day and a different thread. For now, we're stuck with the HD800 as a contender for world's best headphone, for better or for worse.

Meanwhile, I inwardly hope the HiFiMAN HE-1000 kicks the Sennheiser HD800's butt in price and performance.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #16,145 of 28,992

It looks legitimate enough but, judging by the grammar, it looks like an off-shored help agent who just knows the standard answers and wouldn't know very much about such things. As a tablet reviewer, I sometimes try to interface with computer manufacturer's help agents to try to get some leads. But sometimes I get some very interesting answers that contradict press releases and are entirely false. On one occasion, I asked a Lenovo agent about an upcoming tablet and he said it wasn't coming out and it did not exist, all contrary to what the company had officially published at a computer convention just days before.

Now, this agent could be right but he could also be wrong. You could try to reach top-tier support or try contacting Sennheiser PR and see if you get anywhere doing that.

My dealer also asked the same question to Sennheiser when I bought my HD800 a few months ago. Sennheiser said that the HD800 won't get replaced anytime soon. Hence why I would have been very disappointed in Sennheiser if they actually did release a HD800 replacement because then they would have basically lied to me and my dealer. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #16,146 of 28,992
The HD800 is the best sounding headphone I have heard for £1000. I have not heard the Stax 009 but it is more money than I have available to spend on a set of headphones so I'm happy in my ignorance!!!!!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #16,148 of 28,992
Enjoying right now from my new HD800.  In the past I had: Grado RS1, HD650, Denon AH-D5000...and more.  But this is certainly THE best headphone I heard so far!  they are amazing!!  eargasmes all over the place LOL.
they sure have a little bothering sibilance but as a Grado fanatic I got used to it very fast 
bigsmile_face.gif
.     I hope it will get a little softer with additional burn in.  
Anyway,the rest of my gear is a litte low level for them..especially the dac.  I use a Dragonfly into a headroom ultra micro amp ,which is a pretty decent SS amp..But I already investigating upgrade options.  
But I must say, even with the low/mid level rig, they sound fantastic!  I can just imagine how they will sound with better gear.     any suggestions? 

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #16,149 of 28,992
  any suggestions? 

Dac : Schitt Modi or  bifrost , dacmagic  ( the old one is cheaper and as good as current ones)
Amp : Matrix M-stage, Meier Corda Jazz, Schitt Vali, Valhalla 2

That's good well regarded and affordable options.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #16,150 of 28,992

Dac : Schitt Modi or  bifrost , dacmagic  ( the old one is cheaper and as good as current ones)
Amp : Matrix M-stage, Meier Corda Jazz, Schitt Vali, Valhalla 2

That's good well regarded and affordable options.

I'll 2nd that and add that the Dragonfly and a decent player off the computer might be enough then you can spend more for the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back