The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,531 of 28,989
Quote:
That's just your wallet talking... Ignore it.   Ignore it, I say.

HEADPHONE AMPS / PRE-AMPS

[size=x-small]GS-1 Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp[/size]
  [size=xx-small]Click for Detailed Information[/size]
[size=x-small]If there was one word to describe the GS-1, it would be: versatile.  Two inputs, loop out, gain switch, pre-amp functionality, and the ability to drive two phones at once.  Available with an Alps Blue volume control or optional DACT stepped attenuator.[/size]
black_dot.jpg

[size=x-small]GS-X Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp[/size]
  [size=xx-small]Click for Detailed Information[/size]
[size=x-small]The GS-X is out top level amplifier for headphones and pre-amp use.  It will also power balanced headphones.  It's a true dual mono amplifier with dual power supplies in a separate enclosure and offers many features not found in the GS-1.[/size]

My wallet will bite me if I even try to open it right now, and my wife ... let's just say when she got through with me, John Wayne Bobbit would look like a sweepstakes winner.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,532 of 28,989
Lol,
I just had to pick the right moment to tell the wife I just bought a new Dac.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,533 of 28,989
Quote:
Ah, the usual Head-Fi hyperbole. The Lyr isn't "no match" for V200, though I can't say for GS-X. Honestly, improvements are not as night and day as you make it out to be, thus your post is misleading and trapping people into spending more. 

Asgard 2 was great with HD800, but Lyr sounds a bit more musical. V200 is good but not that much better. 

Shrill may be due to harsh DAC, not JUST the amp. HD800 is inherently bright, so unless you have some warm wet sounding tubes and tube amps to deal with it, you're still going to get that bright treble...

I believe products are normally priced according to performance and capability. Production cost is a factor, but if a product cand be  produced on the cheap that performs very well, most of time it will be priced to match the arena it is meant to compete in. This is pretty much manufacturing law, doubly so for high end products... like audio.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,535 of 28,989

Quote:
I found the HD800 terrid with the O2/ODAC. Again, differences in expecations.
That you need a tube amp for the HD800 is just cliche given by people who've dismissed the HD800s after a quick listen on SS.

Quote:

IMHO, I believe the HD800 simply reveals "crap". That's actually its job.

And tubes can be crappy and shrieky too.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,536 of 28,989
Listening to Bob Dylan 1995 MTV unplugged Album and it sounds amazing through my setup. Man these headphones bring so much joy back into music. I am totally addicted to music after getting the HD800. Buying CD's left and right bought like 30 in the past month. I wish the price of hi-res would not be so high otherwise I would be buying most of my music in that format. Another thing I love about the HD800 is the quality of the cable and the length. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,537 of 28,989
Quote:
Listening to Bob Dylan 1995 MTV unplugged Album and it sounds amazing through my setup. Man these headphones bring so much joy back into music. I am totally addicted to music after getting the HD800. Buying CD's left and right bought like 30 in the past month. I wish the price of hi-res would not be so high otherwise I would be buying most of my music in that format. Another thing I love about the HD800 is the quality of the cable and the length. 

hey can you listen to the Eric Clapton and Eagles MTV unplugged on your HD800 for me????
I am strongly considering getting them,
HD800 I mean.....
and these are two of my most listened albums......

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,538 of 28,989
Quote:

, but if a product cand be  produced on the cheap that performs very well, most of time it will be priced to match the arena it is meant to compete in.

What are you doing of the "snob effect " ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob_effect

I'm sure that if a cheap source was doing well, you would just blindly reject it, thanks to the "snob effect".
Ear/ subjectivity are not reliable "tools", once you understand that, you understand how it's easy to fool "audiophile"
with overpriced  gears.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,539 of 28,989
Quote:

I'm sure that if a cheap source was doing well, you would just blindly reject it, thanks to the "snob effect".
Ear/ subjectivity are not reliable "tools", once you understand that, you understand how it's easy to fool "audiophile"
with overpriced  gears.

I always knew Grey Poupon tasted like crap.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,542 of 28,989
Quote:

with overpriced  gears.

Its AudioPhool. Didn't ya know?

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,543 of 28,989
Quote:

My wallet will bite me if I even try to open it right now, and my wife ... let's just say when she got through with me, John Wayne Bobbit would look like a sweepstakes winner.

I took my rig to work for a week and near the end of it my wife said "Hey, where's your amp thingy?" She has her money. I have mine. So long as we keep the bills paid and spend the requisite amount on each other, we try not to discuss it. I think she will freak ... ... when ... ... I reveal the price.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,544 of 28,989
Must say,

I'm nearly a week in with my HD800's and I've have not yet experienced any fatigue or what I would call 'brightness'. Mine just aren't bright headphones... 
I've owned bright headphones before. SR225, RS1, DT880, K702, D2000, All of these are what I would class as bright. Where the stigma has come from with these is lost on me. Detailed yes, extended (in relative terms) yes, but not harsh or fatiguing at all. And I'm using SS with mid-fi dacs. 

If I could use a few adjectives to describe the sound; Warm, smooth, detailed, expansive, refined, airy, deep.

Words I would not use to describe these but have read before; Clinical, harsh, thin, bright.

Just saying..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back