The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #1,847 of 1,892
I'm not a huge fan of 23R, but if I have to praise one thing from it, it would be the glorious sweet midrange. Rich, dense, and has sweet natural character. A bit lack in soundstage though.

Yes the sound stage is not as big as the Bliss, however the overall tonality and imaging of the AMP-23R completely outweighs its smaller soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #1,848 of 1,892
I just came back to the AMP23R after five months of using the Holo Bliss exclusively and I am astonished, I actually like the 23R better! The Bliss was fantastic, but the 23R has unmatched tonal richness, hits harder and follows every nuance of the music. The 23R was packed away awaiting sale but after being unable to find a reliable buyer at the asking price, I'm not going to renew the ad now. Makes me think, should I sell the Bliss 🤔
Funny thing, I hear the opposite :D. I have Holo Audio Bliss from Christmas. I didn't had much time for listening and comparison, also Bliss needs to burn in (just like the May it changes quite fast). For what I already heard - Bliss hits harder then 23R. I'm not sure yet if any of them has the quality of bass better, but for sure a bit different. Midrange is more natural with the Bliss just like timbre. Most of my music sound more lifelike with the Holo Audio amp. Enleum has this thing, like there is a thin cloth that is between you and the singer (for me the easiest way to here this is with vocals or violin). You here that there's something a bit off. As for the texture of instruments for what I was criticising 23R, Bliss seams to be only a little better, not as good as Cayin (but I need to make comparison here because for now it's mostly my ears memory). Bliss has this great layering of instruments in the soundstage. I'm not sure if I hard something like this before.

There are two caveats though. First of all, my 23R came back from service for second time. So as I wrote earlier, Enelum didn't fix the problem by the first time. They didn't understood it (but they had the video with the problem) or what, because the first time they only reinstalled the firmware and burned in (what for, the problem needed switching the volume to be proper tested, not to be turned on for longer time) the amp. So it didn't fixed the issue.

After few emails they decided to send the new gain adjustment module to my dealer service for them to install it. So my amp didn't had to go to South Korea again which would take longer. Then again I must trust my local service that they did the job good :wink: . The amp is with me now with the new gain adjustment module installed and it seams to work ok. So if someone in the future will have an issue with gain volume being blocked (you are reducing the volume but it stays at high level, maybe with small reduction) then maybe the gain module has some problems.

Now after the repair it seams that the amp has changed in the way it sounds but I'm not sure yet. I was comparing it only with Bliss and the Bliss itself is changing in sound so it's hard to tell for sure. Before Christmas I think that there were bigger differences between Enleum and Bliss, but now they seam to be closer. I need to make further comparison and add HA300 to be 100% sure of that. Here comes the second caveat though - for last two weeks I have some issues with my left ear and I need to check this. That's why I may be wrong with that improvement of 23R. Maybe the gain module made some issues with the sound (yet Enleum tested it....) or it's only my ear issue. Before Christmas I was like - yes, Bliss is better for me, LCD5 are great with it, yet I started to see pluses in different presentation of 23R (thinner sound then Bliss, a bit lighter). Now I feel it's closer to the Bliss :D.

I'm also curiuose how good will the 23R sound with new speakers. I'm mostly a headphone guy. I astarted using speakers about a year ago and I bought some cheap Elac's just for tests. For about two years I was looking at Buchardt s400 mk2 but there were always other things in the way. While I was buying Enelum I remeber reviews that were prising the amp in the combination with some KEF's (that are still on my list) and the s400 mk2, so I knew that sooner or later they will be here. Now from Christmas I have also the Buchardts but with their own amp (I150) and they sound great and have some nice features so I wonder if 23R will be better with that.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #1,849 of 1,892
Funny thing, I hear the opposite :D. I have Holo Audio Bliss from Christmas. I didn't had much time for listening and comparison, also Bliss needs to burn in (just like the May it changes quite fast). For what I already heard - Bliss hits harder then 23R. I'm not sure yet if any of them has the quality of bass better, but for sure a bit different. Midrange is more natural with the Bliss just like timbre. Most of my music sound more lifelike with the Holo Audio amp. Enleum has this thing, like there is a thin cloth that is between you and the singer (for me the easiest way to here this is with vocals or violin). You here that there's something a bit off. As for the texture of instruments for what I was criticising 23R, Bliss seams to be only a little better, not as good as Cayin (but I need to make comparison here because for now it's mostly my ears memory). Bliss has this great layering of instruments in the soundstage. I'm not sure if I hard something like this before.

There are two caveats though. First of all, my 23R came back from service for second time. So as I wrote earlier, Enelum didn't fix the problem by the first time. They didn't understood it (but they had the video with the problem) or what, because the first time they only reinstalled the firmware and burned in (what for, the problem needed switching the volume to be proper tested, not to be turned on for longer time) the amp. So it didn't fixed the issue.

After few emails they decided to send the new gain adjustment module to my dealer service for them to install it. So my amp didn't had to go to South Korea again which would take longer. Then again I must trust my local service that they did the job good :wink: . The amp is with me now with the new gain adjustment module installed and it seams to work ok. So if someone in the future will have an issue with gain volume being blocked (you are reducing the volume but it stays at high level, maybe with small reduction) then maybe the gain module has some problems.

Now after the repair it seams that the amp has changed in the way it sounds but I'm not sure yet. I was comparing it only with Bliss and the Bliss itself is changing in sound so it's hard to tell for sure. Before Christmas I think that there were bigger differences between Enleum and Bliss, but now they seam to be closer. I need to make further comparison and add HA300 to be 100% sure of that. Here comes the second caveat though - for last two weeks I have some issues with my left ear and I need to check this. That's why I may be wrong with that improvement of 23R. Maybe the gain module made some issues with the sound (yet Enleum tested it....) or it's only my ear issue. Before Christmas I was like - yes, Bliss is better for me, LCD5 are great with it, yet I started to see pluses in different presentation of 23R (thinner sound then Bliss, a bit lighter). Now I feel it's closer to the Bliss :D.

I'm also curiuose how good will the 23R sound with new speakers. I'm mostly a headphone guy. I astarted using speakers about a year ago and I bought some cheap Elac's just for tests. For about two years I was looking at Buchardt s400 mk2 but there were always other things in the way. While I was buying Enelum I remeber reviews that were prising the amp in the combination with some KEF's (that are still on my list) and the s400 mk2, so I knew that sooner or later they will be here. Now from Christmas I have also the Buchardts but with their own amp (I150) and they sound great and have some nice features so I wonder if 23R will be better with that.
I have 23 r with Buchardt s400 mk 2 it is fantastic ,have tried many speakers but these are special ,I got rid of Cayin 300 wasn't my taste at all .We all have different tastes

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,850 of 1,892

What is the serial of your AMP-23R? I suspect there are production issues with the AXXX series amps and hardware variations, and that is the review unit going around between Goldensound and CMA. E.g. Looking at the circuitry and seeing those blue caps on the forward section of the amp. I'm just speculating...

My HXXX series amp definitely hits harder as is just as transparent if not better imaged than my Bliss, and I've got hundreds of hours racked up on the Bliss unit, so it's well run-in. The mid-range is incredibly lucid on the 23R as well. Essentially, it's all just as described by SoundNews in his review of the 23R.

I listened to Southern Sun (Tiesto) last night with the Utopia, 23R & Tambaqui and when the vocals kicked in, I stopped any work and sat there eyes wide open, it's astonishing how crystalline clear and natural every little bit of the whole track was. Speed and unparalleled effortlessness were also the best part of listening with the 23R.

As for with speakers, this guy reviews the AMP-23R with speakers, I think he's running it with the Holo May.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #1,851 of 1,892
What is the serial of your AMP-23R? I suspect there are production issues with the AXXX series amps and hardware variations, and that is the review unit going around between Goldensound and CMA. E.g. Looking at the circuitry and seeing those blue caps on the forward section of the amp. I'm just speculating...

My HXXX series amp definitely hits harder as is just as transparent if not better imaged than my Bliss, and I've got hundreds of hours racked up on the Bliss unit, so it's well run-in. The mid-range is incredibly lucid on the 23R as well. Essentially, it's all just as described by SoundNews in his review of the 23R.

I listened to Southern Sun (Tiesto) last night with the Utopia, 23R & Tambaqui and when the vocals kicked in, I stopped any work and sat there eyes wide open, it's astonishing how crystalline clear and natural every little bit of the whole track was. Speed and unparalleled effortlessness were also the best part of listening with the 23R.

As for with speakers, this guy reviews the AMP-23R with speakers, I think he's running it with the Holo May.
I am glad to hear the 23R synergizes well with the Tambaqui. I use my 23R in a setup where my streamer/DAC needs HDMI ARC (currently Hifi Rose 150B, soon to be NAD M66), but I hope to someday upgrade to a Tambaqui if that need changes in the future. Having heard the Mola Mola a couple of times in other rigs, it is truly astonishing and what I have mentally penciled in as my "endgame".

About a year in with the Enleum and my KIipsch Forte IV, and I have never been so satisfied with a piece of gear in my time in this hobby. I am a notorious gear churner and I have never even had a thought of swapping it out.

On the headphones side I feel it impresses with everything, like nothing is particularly bad, but I have not quite found a match that I feel totally blows my socks off. I am mainly a sennheiser/dynamics guy though. Still need to try a susvara and interested in the new Modhouse Tungsten as a potentially good match.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #1,852 of 1,892
I am glad to hear the 23R synergizes well with the Tambaqui. I use my 23R in a setup where my streamer/DAC needs HDMI ARC (currently Hifi Rose 150B, soon to be NAD M66), but I hope to someday upgrade to a Tambaqui if that need changes in the future. Having heard the Mola Mola a couple of times in other rigs, it is truly astonishing and what I have mentally penciled in as my "endgame".

About a year in with the Enleum and my KIipsch Forte IV, and I have never been so satisfied with a piece of gear in my time in this hobby. I am a notorious gear churner and I have never even had a thought of swapping it out.

On the headphones side I feel it impresses with everything, like nothing is particularly bad, but I have not quite found a match that I feel totally blows my socks off. I am mainly a sennheiser/dynamics guy though. Still need to try a susvara and interested in the new Modhouse Tungsten as a potentially good match.
My focal utopia sound fantastic with Enleum ,am very happy and same I won't ever change this amp .have been an audiophile for forty years now and finally happy .The serial number of my Enleum is 086

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,853 of 1,892
My focal utopia sound fantastic with Enleum ,am very happy and same I won't ever change this amp .have been an audiophile for forty years now and finally happy .The serial number of my Enleum is 086

I personally am highly skeptical of the unit variation concerns around here, but if there is any validity to it or someone wants to go down that rabbit hole, mine is 083. So presumably same batch as yours.

Good to hear about the utopia, another one I have given a go yet.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,854 of 1,892
I personally am highly skeptical of the unit variation concerns around here, but if there is any validity to it or someone wants to go down that rabbit hole, mine is 083. So presumably same batch as yours.

Good to hear about the utopia, another one I have given a go yet.
Apparently Xero feedback is perfect for Utopia ,honestly I love Utopias they are just so musical,I had Clears ,Elegia ,akg 812 and 872 ,lcdx ,LCD 3,hd600 ,hd 800 s,he1000se ,LCD X was the longest survivor behind Utopia ,none of the others are bad headphones but Utopia is just that bit more special for my taste

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #1,855 of 1,892
Yes, it's AXXX. As for the hardware issue I still doubt it (but who knows). GoldenSound send his measurements to Enleum and they seamed ok. As I wrote earlier my 23R was send back to Enelum in South Korea and they checked it. So it sounded as supposed to for them or they don't know what they are doing (or haven't checked it). I bet that if you ask Enleum they'll say that there aren't any differences sound wise (and there shouldn't be) between batches.

I think it's my ear that's making the difference now. When I got the amp back from service office I already had an issue with my ear so I couldn't check it in ideal conditions. When Bliss came to me I was ok, but then Bliss was fresh and sounded more dense and heavy then now. So back then teh difference between two amps was big. I'll check 23R in comparison to HA300 and if still have a problem with assessment then I'll wait until my ear is ok.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #1,856 of 1,892
Yes, it's AXXX. As for the hardware issue I still doubt it (but who knows). GoldenSound send his measurements to Enleum and they seamed ok. As I wrote earlier my 23R was send back to Enelum in South Korea and they checked it. So it sounded as supposed to for them or they don't know what they are doing (or haven't checked it). I bet that if you ask Enleum they'll say that there aren't any differences sound wise (and there shouldn't be) between batches.

I think it's my ear that's making the difference now. When I got the amp back from service office I already had an issue with my ear so I couldn't check it in ideal conditions. When Bliss came to me I was ok, but then Bliss was fresh and sounded more dense and heavy then now. So back then teh difference between two amps was big. I'll check 23R in comparison to HA300 and if still have a problem with assessment then I'll wait until my ear is ok.

Interesting. If I were you, I'd try and get hold of the original XXX series or the newest HXXX series amps and hear for yourself, after addressing any possible ear problems of course - I hope it's not a serious or permanent issue.

My H012 23R is doing more justice to live up the PRAT of the Tambaqui, than my Bliss is.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,857 of 1,892
If I were you, I'd try and get hold of the original XXX series or the newest HXXX series amps and hear for yourself
That may be hard but maybe my local dealer will have a new demo unit in the future. For now they have the older one (with different speaker caps and plastic remote) and it sounded like mine (but I haven't made direct comparison).

Mine is 082.

I hope it's not a serious or permanent issue

For now it's hard to tell, I have a hernia in my neck's spine and lately I developed tetany - all of that can have impact on hearing nerves. My problem is that I here this high constant sound all the time in left ear. Because of that I don't hear above higher frequency (or maybe I am but it's a bit rolled off).

Yesterday I was making comparison of I150 and 23R with s400 mk2 and I covered one ear and then another. There is a difference, I would say like listening to good (but not best) mp3 and then FLAC. The problem is that in the end the brain is mixing both "channels" together and it makes this in funny way. As I said previously - the biggest problem of human hearing "system" is brain :wink:. As for the sound - from speakers 23R sounded more like before. The sound was thinner then I150 (but it had room correction on so it's not fair comparison), maybe a bit more detailed (or rather it was more pronounced). DAC may be an issue though - for now I cannot listen to speakers from May only Qutest and it is thinner sounding DAC.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,858 of 1,892
I just came back to the AMP23R after five months of using the Holo Bliss exclusively and I am astonished, I actually like the 23R better! The Bliss was fantastic, but the 23R has unmatched tonal richness, hits harder and follows every nuance of the music. The 23R was packed away awaiting sale but after being unable to find a reliable buyer at the asking price, I'm not going to renew the ad now. Makes me think, should I sell the Bliss 🤔
Interesting. I'm glad I kept my Enleum. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Cen Grand Silver Fox to complement the Enleum.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,859 of 1,892
Interesting. I'm glad I kept my Enleum. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Cen Grand Silver Fox to complement the Enleum.

If you're AU or NZ based, Passion for Sound is selling his Cen Grande review unit if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back