The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Aug 8, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,697 of 1,892
You can use either the DAVE or the 23R to control the volume. I would try both to see which one you prefer. I use my Woo WA23 as a preamp for the 23R and I control the volume with the 23R only because it has a remote control. I also use my Woo WA23 as a headphone amp direct by using its HP/Pre switch. For my preferences, I prefer the 23R with the WA23 as a preamp to the 23R as an integrated amp.

The quality of the preamp used with the 23R makes a difference. I've tried 3 different preamps, an Audio By Van Alstine FET Valve CF vacuum tube preamp, the Holo Audio Serene, and the Woo WA23. All 3 were very good but the WA23 used as preamp is special. It provided the most spacious soundstage, most precise imaging, and the midrange and treble are improved imo. I also really like the WA23 as a headphone amp so it's doing double duty.

I think the main advantage of using a preamp with the 23R is to use a vacuum tube preamp to provide a tube amp sound if one prefers tubes like I do. I've tried my Holo Serene solid state preamp (it's a very transparent preamp and I use it in my speaker system as a preamp) with the 23R but I don't think it changed the sound signature of the 23R because it's so transparent.
To clarify then. You’ve paid over £6k for an amp where you’re not using what is in effect it’s pre section and you’re not using its headphone circuit? Thus more than 50% of what the Enleum does is redundant?

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,698 of 1,892
To clarify then. You’ve paid over £6k for an amp where you’re not using what is in effect it’s pre section and you’re not using its headphone circuit? Thus more than 50% of what the Enleum does is redundant?
NO LOL! I sometimes use the 23R to drive my Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers. I also use it as headphone amp directly fed by my Bricasti M1 S2 DAC in one system or my Holo May KTE in my other system. Since the 23R has 2 inputs, I use 1 input to connect directly to my DAC and the other input is fed by one of several preamps depending on which system I'm using it in. You don't have to worry about me getting value out of a 6K speaker/headphone amp, I'm doing just fine. I have 4 dedicated headphone amps plus my Holo Serene preamp that can be used for headphones. I have plenty of options and I've used the 23R to its fullest extent (probably more so than most owners).

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #1,699 of 1,892
Anyone using a power sine wave generator with their 23R?

I use an Isotek Genesis for my amp-41 and it substantially lifts the performance of the amp.

It sounds like a more refined, musical, and dynamic version of itself. More listenable and engaging.

I never tried it until now, since Isotek recommends the Genesis for DACs or preamps.

But I consider it indispensable for the Bakoon.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,702 of 1,892
What size/type battery for the remote control? Mine is not the solid looking, expensive version. It's the feather light, plasticky one.
CR2032 3V, Panasonic as i remember

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #1,705 of 1,892
Aug 28, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,706 of 1,892
Time to do my review finally then. Long ago identified this amp as the big contender to enable me to lose four boxes of Naim amplification/power supplies and better match my 16ohm Zu speakers. Read all the reviews; watched all the video reviews. It had to be great didn’t it? Well, yes and no. It turned out that the outliers in those reviews - the ones from CMA and @GoldenOne - were the closest match to my experience. For reasons I will explain I would still say those were poor quality reviews but we largely end up in some of the same places regardless.

First thing to say is that it’s petite and heavy but really not that heavy. That’s been very much over-stated by many reviewers, presumably influenced by reviewing too many boxes with little in them. It’s dense for sure but the weight is hardly unexpected and not especially taxing. It was barely worthy of comment. It’s also a looker. A petite sexy three-legged oil rig as has been mentioned elsewhere. Once in the house it’s very difficult to take your eyes off it despite its size. Sat next to a Chord DAC one couldn’t help think one person had understood design and UI far better than the other.

I had two attempts at a home demo. The first was undone by a box where someone/a previous demo recipient had over-ridden the Return to Zero function; set the amp to a ludicrously high gain, presumably in order to add a pre amp, and then simply unplugged it rather than turning it off. Much of this I didn’t realise until an actual working box arrived. When I plugged the first box in I was greeted by much whirring and clicking. I now know that until I hit that power button I should have been greeted by total silence.

This would all have been fine had the original box worked as advertised i.e. once I had figured out what was wrong I ought to have been able to reset the Return to Zero functionality and zero would once again have been zero rather than the explode your speakers level I was continually presented with. Unfortunately it did not work. The sequence of button pressing didn’t initially appear intuitive but did, repeatedly, appear to have worked. Repeatedly it did not. Back went the box before it blew my speakers.

A couple of important things to note. The box was allegedly open box i.e. it had been opened but unused. That’s what the dealer advised the supplier had presented. On that basis I would not trust the supplier. The dealer may have been misled in that respect but who knows. The amp had clearly been used; obviously hadn’t been tested on return from the last user and no checks had taken place regarding the state I received it in. There were no instructions and no rubber pads for the isolation feet. There was a small dent on the side of the box; the back plate was poorly fitted and there were marks underneath the amp where someone had presumably scrambled around fitting the isolation feet without looking at where the holes in the amp were located. The isolation feet themselves had also obviously been used as they were badly worn and marked on the underside.

As it was a demo model it was in one sense of no consequence to me. I simply covered my backside by taking photos and emailing them as soon as it arrived. However, that slightly skewiff back plate ought to have been a red flag re: quality control.

When the second amp arrived it was new and unopened. Imagine my disappointment to find that whilst this one had instructions, rubber pads and an immaculately finished amp, this time the brand new remote control was badly gauged on the top and front and the isolation feet had scratches on their sides as though picked up by some kind of mechanical claw in an amusement arcade.

Wiring in speaker cables and inputs is simplicity itself bar the one caveat. RCA inputs are split either side of the two central Enlink sockets. I presume this is to ensure the shortest signal paths. Regardless it’s counter intuitive and you’ll need to pay attention else you wire your positive input to a negative socket etc. Try and remember then. All your red input leads go to one side. All your black to the other. Once you’ve done it it’s obvious and looks neat and you can largely fit and forget. The caveat here? Once powered up it starts to get warm by the half hour mark. Interestingly, despite the heat sinks, that warmth extended without fail to the power and other cables. I have no technical knowledge to be able to say whether that’s a negative thing or irrelevant but it was certainly a new thing and one, rightly or wrongly, I wasn’t comfortable with.

Plugging the new amp in before that brought with it the first surprise. Unlike the first demo model there was total silence. There are no signs of life at all until you hit the multipurpose power button and, after a small sequence of lights flashing for a couple of seconds, the amp settles on input one and checks it has reset to zero with a few small clicks.

I set it cautiously to play some quiet Shelby Lynne and, phew, there it was, music at the gain I was expecting. I turned it up using the amp rather than the remote and noted that, for me, those resistor clicks generally did not appear anywhere other than on the amp. The theory espoused elsewhere, by Lachlan Fennen of Passion For Sound (I think), was that the clicks might only appear elsewhere if you’re running an input at more than 2V. My Chord DAC was set to DAC mode which is 2.5V. Largely I had nothing. Then one day, I did. Audible clicks through the speakers and then… gone again. I can’t explain why they happened nor why they stopped just as quickly but stop they did.

I’ll also say, for the record, that whilst their brief appearance was initially concerning, it was something I quickly got used to and would have had little issue with had it remained in the long term had the amp done all I had hoped musically. The inconsistency was more of a concern than the sound itself. Ultimately how much confidence can one have in a device when you can’t explain why it does what it does or when?

Confining the clicks to being just a sound from the gain control whether operated by the amp or the remote? Well, I loved it. It’s not unique but it is rare and after fourteen days I adored it.

Another caveat though. Using the remote produced no consistency in terms of apparent jumps in gain. Sometimes a quick press produced one click and a small jump in gain; sometimes two and sometimes three. It occurred that it may have been my listening position - the amp was off to my right and partially obscured by a low sofa - but after repeatedly trying the same thing whilst sat facing the amp the only conclusion was that one press on the gain via the remote rarely produced a consistent outcome. Increasingly as the fourteen days progressed I found myself adjusting gain on the amp itself. It wasn’t a deal breaker for me but it’s not hard to conceive how it might be for some.

Now, that remote. Frankly, had I received one in perfect condition which controlled the gain consistently I would simply say it was the finest remote control I’d used. As it is, I’ll settle for it not being far off. It’s small solid chunk of metal and a thing of beauty (when not damaged) to look at and use.

The incomprehensible thing with the amp is why the power/standby/mute and input/option functions are combined into the one button. This leads to all sorts of nonsensical “press this for 2 seconds and this for 3” guff. The remote has one button for power/standby/mute and another for input/option. It is elegant and simple and works brilliantly. A long press on the power button turns it on or off. A short press mutes your current input. A short press on the other button switches between inputs. A long press puts you into Option mode. Couldn’t be simpler or more intuitive.

Why then not have the same two buttons on the amp? I know not why but, frankly, it makes no sense at all as a user. You’d default to the remote without a seconds thought. It just makes sense and works for those two buttons if not the gain (see above).

One final thought. It’s not in the manual and it’s not in any review. The amp has three inputs. Two RCA and the currently unused En-Link. Input one shows as the top LED lit steadily on the amp. Input two shows as the bottom LED. Logically there has to be a light setting for that third input. There is. It’s both LEDs lit steadily and simultaneously. You won’t read about this anywhere. That’s disappointing and a careless omission from the instructions and reviewers. The first time it happens you will have moved from one to two and will assume your next press takes you back to one. It does not and at first you may think you’ve done something wrong or somehow ended up muting the device. Input muting is indicated by both LEDs flashing steadily and simultaneously. Confused yet?

Technical stuff aside then what about the music? Well, obviously it’s a different presentation to the Naim. My initial reaction, and that of Mrs. H., was that we wanted nothing for detail. It was very good indeed. Indeed on that first Sunday we sat there mesmerised for a mere eight hours. Beware shiny new toys though. Reverting back to the Naim two weeks later suggested we had pretty much all that detail and the only real difference was in presentation. It’s amazing what you can get so used to that you assume it’s not there at all.

I lost myself in it for those first few days but once the novelty wore off I have three observations. In my room with my speaker position I was absolutely not expecting much in the way of sound stage depth. Not much in the way of sound stage at all was what I got. It never escaped the width of the speakers or made them disappear or any of the other things the many reviews proclaimed.

What I also didn’t get was the much vaunted mid range and the stunningly wonderful vocals. Lots of brilliant bass. Fantastic treble detail but… something missing. The exact thing that CMA had identified in his review. I had been both sceptical and vocal re: said review. Hands up. I was wrong. He was prepared to think he had a faulty box and on the balance of probabilities I had the same thought. What likelihood?

So, round came a friend to listen. He heard the same as me but articulated it better. Everything was there but there was no mid range and the music didn’t flow. You could get lost in detail but detail isn’t music. The soundstage was there but was narrow.

To be sure, we took the amp round to his. A much larger room with speakers positioned such that soundstage depth and width was inevitable and usually significant. Depth? There it was. Nothing spectacular but it was there. Width? It never escaped the speakers once again. Mid range and magical vocals? Simply not there. Again, lots of detail but, when he put his Nagra 300B back in, the difference was staggering. Yes of course one costs waaaay more but the music flowed with an ease simply absent from the Enleum. Decision made there and then. Dealer has since tested it and concluded that there’s nothing wrong with it. It sounds exactly as they would have expected. I have honestly never been so disappointed that it wasn’t faulty. The specs; the looks; the remote are fabulous. The sound. Not for me.

A few observations with regard to the CMA and @GoldenOne reviews. The former definitely picked up on the lack of mid range. The latter made comments about mid range texture which, even listening to what he played as an illustration during the video, I’ll be damned if I could hear. I’ve since played the track he used to illustrate when I had the Enleum here and I couldn’t relate any of his comments to what I heard. He at no point noted the lack of mid range despite reviewing the exact same box. That suggests that he likes his measurements but doesn’t have ears.

He also made comments with regard to the amp slipping around which struck me at the time as amateurish. They shared the same amp to review. Anyone paying attention would realise the isolation feet come with rubber circles which wholly prevent this. If CMA didn’t know that then he’s not done his research. If he passed it across to his friend and failed to tell him then, again, amateur hour. That the latter also didn’t check. Oh dear.

Then we have the tricky business of the assertion that there is a potential issue with DC offset and the warning that headphones could be at risk despite the refutation from Enleum and the fact that this has never happened with any Bakoon product from the same designer in the past decade. The suggestion was that one should not move the gain at any speed else the risk could become the reality. I have called this out as nonsense before. Having used the amp? Rest easy.

I have whacked the gain up and down at huge speed and at one point did so relentlessly. If that put my speakers of headphones at risk then it neither felt like it and nothing happened. I consider it irresponsible scaremongering propagated by someone who should have perhaps considered the possibility of doing reputational damage to a manufacturer based on nothing at all.

This is an amp with a stellar reputation from most reviewers. We all have different views on what is musical but a lack of midrange is objectively verifiable and irrefutable. I don’t agree with those who say it’s over-priced unless you use speakers and headphones. If you like the sound there is so much to like about the rest of it that you won’t be feeling short changed at all if you only use headphones or speakers. If the sound had been all that and the quality control where it should have been then there’s no way the dealer would have been getting this back and I, a speakers only man, would not have resented a penny of it. Sadly it wasn’t to be.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,707 of 1,892
Narrow/shallow soundstage and lack of midrange presence or musical flow? I find that shocking and utterly baffling. I know we all have different ears/gears/chains/rooms/etc, but I have never found someone else's impressions of something to be so utterly contradictory to mine. It is like you plucked out what I feel the Enleum AMP-23r excels at and said those are actually its weaknesses. You talk about it being a detail machine, which is also far from what I would pick out as its defining characteristic. I suppose if you equate detail to realism I would agree, but what stands out to me is how utterly holographic, tangible, and captivating the sound is, especially through the midrange. Real head-scratcher for me reading that one. If anything, I would say it is a cautionary tale about some sort of extremely out-of-whack synergy with the Zu+Enleum+DAVE combo (although you did say you ran into similar issues on your buddies room/rig, so who knows).

Not trying to discount what you heard/experienced @Mike Hughes , I am bummed this didn't work out for you. Just wanted to chime in though for folks reading through the thread that my personal experience (chain is Klipsch Forte IV+Hifi Rose 150B+Enleum AMP-23r), has been far different and more in line with the wealth of positive impressions out there.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #1,708 of 1,892
Question - I have recently bought a 23R from the classified and have been enjoying the sound thoroughly. Unfortunately the right Headphone driver has intermittent soft crackling/distortion when plugged in and the 23R is on. I have tried both focal utopia and dca stealth with different cables to no avail. It can even be heard when the amplifier is on but no RCA input plugged in (I wondered if it was my source but clearly not). It does not seem to vary with volume change. Any thoughts? Thanks

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,709 of 1,892
Anyone using a power sine wave generator with their 23R?

I use an Isotek Genesis for my amp-41 and it substantially lifts the performance of the amp.

It sounds like a more refined, musical, and dynamic version of itself. More listenable and engaging.

I never tried it until now, since Isotek recommends the Genesis for DACs or preamps.

But I consider it indispensable for the Bakoon.
I use a psm156 as a power conditioner for the enleum and the holo may. It was the most impactful purchase Ive made for my system.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,710 of 1,892
Question - I have recently bought a 23R from the classified and have been enjoying the sound thoroughly. Unfortunately the right Headphone driver has intermittent soft crackling/distortion when plugged in and the 23R is on. I have tried both focal utopia and dca stealth with different cables to no avail. It can even be heard when the amplifier is on but no RCA input plugged in (I wondered if it was my source but clearly not). It does not seem to vary with volume change. Any thoughts? Thanks
That doesnt sound right by all accounts. Might need to send it for repair. So with the rca not connected to the amp and your headphones connected, you still hear crackling? That is strange. I’ve never heard the enleum do that and I use it with the utopia and susvara. Maybe there’s something in the 1/4 jack out of the enleum that is preventing optimal contact? You say with different cables, but are you using the same 1/4 adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back