The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #316 of 1,892
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #317 of 1,892
Nice review Peter! You nailed it! The 23R is a fantastic amp.
Thanks Steve! Listening to it now (I couldn't send the review unit back, so I sold my HPA4 and Utopia to help pay for it) with my Susvara and some Steely Dan (Aja) and I'm absolutely loving the resolution, dynamics and kick!

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #318 of 1,892
will sound great with the 1266 TC as well I assume since the 13r does

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #319 of 1,892
Thanks Steve! Listening to it now (I couldn't send the review unit back, so I sold my HPA4 and Utopia to help pay for it) with my Susvara and some Steely Dan (Aja) and I'm absolutely loving the resolution, dynamics and kick!

That's a lovely read that accurately tells what this amp does. It also mirrors other reviewers' impressions, so well done!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #320 of 1,892

Great review, Peter! Yeah - give me no feedback and more distortion vs. lots of feedback and the best measurements. I found the 23r much more liquid and engaging than the HPA4. I think you made the right decision. The 23r is a great amp, and there is definitely some cognitive dissonance going on (as you alluded to in your review) because it's so potent yet so small (though quite heavy). I think I could fit at least 6 23rs inside my Woo Wa33 Elite :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #321 of 1,892
Quick question - Does the 23R reset its volume level to zero every time it is turned off, or does that only happen whenever the headphones are unplugged?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #322 of 1,892
the 13r goes to zero each time it is put into standby which is all one can do there is no off...perhaps the 23r is the same?

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #323 of 1,892
Quick question - Does the 23R reset its volume level to zero every time it is turned off, or does that only happen whenever the headphones are unplugged?

Thanks.

Mine doesn’t. Rather it stays at the volume wherever you turn it off. I had been in contact with the distributor about it - and they are working on a firmware upgrade to make it behave like the 13r. The main issue with how it’s currently configured, is if you leave the volume high, turn it off, and then lower the volume on standby - you may not realize but have high volume when you turn it on.

It’s easy to work around, and some may actually prefer it that way, especially if you use a preamp or something. Regardless, the distributor and Enleum have been very responsive regarding an update.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #324 of 1,892
Mine doesn’t. Rather it stays at the volume wherever you turn it off. I had been in contact with the distributor about it - and they are working on a firmware upgrade to make it behave like the 13r. The main issue with how it’s currently configured, is if you leave the volume high, turn it off, and then lower the volume on standby - you may not realize but have high volume when you turn it on.

It’s easy to work around, and some may actually prefer it that way, especially if you use a preamp or something. Regardless, the distributor and Enleum have been very responsive regarding an update.
Thanks for the info.

Actually, I would prefer for it to stay at whatever volume level it was left at when it was turned off, like you said it currently does. I think it would be a bit of a PITA to have to turn it back up from zero every time you turn the amp on.

Maybe they can enable some way for you to choose if you want it to reset to zero volume or stay at the last volume setting when its turned on.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #325 of 1,892
I actually wish my 13r stayed at the last used volume rather than having to reset it each time...I suppose it is a safety thing and it really isnt much of an issue so no big deal

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #327 of 1,892
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #328 of 1,892
they are working on a firmware upgrade
Are these amps firmware upgradeable in the field by the end user - or do they need to be returned to the distributor?

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #329 of 1,892
The main issue with how it’s currently configured, is if you leave the volume high, turn it off, and then lower the volume on standby - you may not realize but have high volume when you turn it on.
Does this mean if I switch it on, turn the knob to 12 o’clock, switch it off, turn the knob all the way down, switch it on again, then it will be quite loud and there will be no way to turn the volume lower as the knob is already at the lowest position?

I am reluctant to test this as I am worried it will further increase the volume at the lowest knob position with no way to reset.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #330 of 1,892
Does this mean if I switch it on, turn the knob to 12 o’clock, switch it off, turn the knob all the way down, switch it on again, then it will be quite loud and there will be no way to turn the volume lower as the knob is already at the lowest position?

I am reluctant to test this as I am worried it will further increase the volume at the lowest knob position with no way to reset.
Yes to the first part, but it resets as soon as you turn it on and move the volume knob to a position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back