The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Oct 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #166 of 316
FYI: I measured all S-series IEM with a calibrated mic and confirmed that my pair of S3 definitely has less low end than all other S-series IEM and that upper end is indeed most similar to S0. In fact, my S3 looks quite like S0 but with less presence from 1kHz on down.

This explains why I'm not hearing them as bassy, honky, or warm. Perhaps other people's S3 measure differently...

EDIT: I used the S3's narrow bore hybrid-style tip for all measurements.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #167 of 316
Will @kova4a get a bassy or non-bassy pair? That, my friends, is the question
wink_face.gif

Haha, good one 
wink_face.gif

These are obviously very tip dependant, with the right set, you get either a very bassy sig or a more neutral-ish one, and that's with the included tips. Good for folks who like to roll their own sound. Still liking the stock tips that were installed out of the box myself, to each his/her own.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #169 of 316
Perhaps I'll measure with all tips and see how tip-dependent S3 are. I've always found tip rolling to fine-tune the sound, but not make major changes.

Agreed. Yes theres no doubt they make a difference but claiming they can go from very bassy to neutalish is just off. ive never heard changes more than just a few dB or differences in top and low end extension. Companies can barely manage that level of variability in the bass with a bad adjustment knob like the ones from jh audio or aurisonics.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #170 of 316
Agreed. Yes theres no doubt they make a difference but claiming they can go from very bassy to neutalish is just off. ive never heard changes more than just a few dB or differences in top and low end extension. Companies can barely manage that level of variability in the bass with a bad adjustment knob like the ones from jh audio or aurisonics.

...and that's YOUR experience. I'm using these more than 150 hours now, the tips make a pretty profound difference to my ears, and also many others on here. The sound can go from thinner to beefier, up to the bore size and type of tips you're using. Lot's of IEM's also do this. Some are more affected than others. I find the S3's one of the more affected ones. That's what I hear. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #172 of 316
  No need to argue. As soon as I share my impressions you'll know who's right... me as usual and whoever was closer to my opinion.  
biggrin.gif

No problem, its not so bassy still has enough rumble right?

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #174 of 316
So I'm getting all my notes together to start writing my review. Personally I think they have plenty of really nice bass. And it seems to be tightening up nicely. I actually think the overall sound sig. is getting even better, clearer the more time I get with them (brain burn in?). 

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #175 of 316
There seems to be very disparate first impressions about this IE, I think I'll wait for a few more before pulling the trigger.

You simply have to base what you're reading here on what the folks on here are into listening to, I like Rock and Opera for instance, so a good soundstage and good instrument separation are paramount to me, hence my take on this. Everyone is going to be different, judge on what you like to hear.

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #176 of 316
Ok, finally gave it a quick listen. It's unquestionably better than S5, so we have the S-series flagship if there won't be any more S models. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #178 of 316
You simply have to base what you're reading here on what the folks on here are into listening to, I like Rock and Opera for instance, so a good soundstage and good instrument separation are paramount to me, hence my take on this. Everyone is going to be different, judge on what you like to hear.

Well this is the thing, I like the the overall presentation on the S0 and S5, but their bass was a tad boomy for my taste, so I'm hoping for the S3 to be less bass oriented. My favorite Brainwavz earphone is strangely enough, their cheapest, the Jive.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #180 of 316
Well this is the thing, I like the the overall presentation on the S0 and S5, but their bass was a tad boomy for my taste, so I'm hoping for the S3 to be less bass oriented. My favorite Brainwavz earphone is strangely enough, their cheapest, the Jive.

And my listening preferences are rock and synphonic metal.

Well, we like the same types of music, so thats a thing, and I do realize that many on here are preferring the Jive's sig to these...but they aren't the same IEM's, not at all. I like them both for different reasons. I like the Jive for it's well done all around goodness, it just works so well with many different types of music. These aren't as focused, IMO, they like more guitar driven music, like Rock and Metal, this sound the best to me on than S3's, better than on the Jive's. Bass is more than sufficient to allow you to enjoy, say, Neil Peart in all his glory, while allowing vocals and guitar to take center stage. I'll be posting a review soon, I'll elaborate more there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back