The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #76 of 316
Just cracked the case open. I swear someone asked about whether S3 had the same cable as S5 earlier in the thread. The answer is a definitive NO. The cable, plug, strain reliefs, and y-splitter are the smaller ones used with S0. Much more manageable IMHO than those used with S1 and S5. Nice!

Brainwavz changed the cable in all of the S series, now they all the same cable and mic.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #78 of 316
Just switched my tips from a wide mouth to the Sony hybrid style and this definitely changes the signature reducing the clarity and sharpness of the upper midrange and lower treble. Good if you have a strong aversion to any peakiness in those regions, not good if you like those areas the most. I will play with the comply tips next and post my results.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #80 of 316
Aha! I purchased S1 and S5 awhile ago when they had the chunkier cable, strain reliefs, and y-spitter. I'm glad to hear they've switched to the S0-type for all S-series IEM. Good move, BW!

Yep, I have the newer ones, that's the reason I said earlier that they are good 
biggrin.gif

As for the sound, give them time to burn in, you'll like them even more.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #81 of 316
Just switched my tips from a wide mouth to the Sony hybrid style and this definitely changes the signature reducing the clarity and sharpness of the upper midrange and lower treble. Good if you have a strong aversion to any peakiness in those regions, not good if you like those areas the most. I will play with the comply tips next and post my results.

I've played around with every type of tip I have, from Sony Hybrid, to the stock hybrids, to the comply's...I found myself right back to stock, it just sounds the best to me. Tip rolling is fun, but you honestly don't need to on the S3's to get their best sound, great for folks who just want to unpack and GO. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #82 of 316
Is it that similar to the S1 as the other posters said (I trust them and their impressions, just want different opinions on it). If it is, then I don't see the point of getting the new S3, specially considering that the S1 just got a makeover.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #83 of 316
Just tried the comply tips and they split the difference between Sony style tip and the wide mouth tip. I have switched back to the wide mouth tip because like D2K I prefer it over the other tips. But this might explain why JasonB is struggling to enjoy the S3 (if he has changed the tip) and shows some versatility in the sound for those that might need it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #84 of 316
Is it that similar to the S1 as the other posters said (I trust them and their impressions, just want different opinions on it). If it is, then I don't see the point of getting the new S3, specially considering that the S1 just got a makeover.

In looks, yes, similar. In sound, nope. Better sound stage here, with a bit more low end. Different enough to recommend these over the S1's, at least to me.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #85 of 316
I have several S models at home I will try to carve some time for comparisons as well. But just from memory and initial impressions I like this model more than the others.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #87 of 316
Just tried the comply tips and they split the difference between Sony style tip and the wide mouth tip. I have switched back to the wide mouth tip because like D2K I prefer it over the other tips. But this might explain why JasonB is struggling to enjoy the S3 (if he has changed the tip) and shows some versatility in the sound for those that might need it.

I tried a few different tips Tuesday night when I first got them. I need to spend more time with them once I get a chance. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #88 of 316
What also bugs me is that they claim "accurate sound reproduction" "sure to please any true audiophile". To me these descriptions do not belong on something that is not somewhat neutral. Misleading if you ask me. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #89 of 316

I tried a few different tips Tuesday night when I first got them. I need to spend more time with them once I get a chance. 

...or you just might have to face the facts:
These ain't your cup o tea. No one can like every single thing that crosses their path. I'm a veteran reviewer in tech, over 2000 articles under my belt, and I've given so many "not in the greatest light" reviews I've lost count. No one is expecting you to say something nice about something you don't like. As dweaver stated earlier, just preface your review stating what you like to hear, and do the rest accordingly. No one here is gonna blast you for that. Be honest, it's the only way to go. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #90 of 316
  ...or you just might have to face the facts:
These ain't your cup o tea. No one can like every single thing that crosses their path. I'm a veteran reviewer in tech, over 2000 articles under my belt, and I've given so many "not in the greatest light" reviews I've lost count. No one is expecting you to say something nice about something you don't like. As dweaver stated earlier, just preface your review stating what you like to hear, and do the rest accordingly. No one here is gonna blast you for that. Be honest, it's the only way to go. 

I had the same issue with the S0 and S5. I personally didn't like their sound, but that doesn't mean it's a bad earphone. The Jive I actually liked, I thought for being under $30 they sounded ridiculously good and definitely closer to neutral then the S0 or S5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back